Author Topic: New Like 50 2t + Newbie Rider = good juju (life, breaking in a new engine, etc.)  (Read 27694 times)

Like50ninja

• View Profile
So I actually had a 30 in there, I swapped it for a 35 that I had from before and I'm waiting for the 40 to come in the mail. The mix screw is now 4 turns til it idles properly. How many turns should my main jet screw be turned from snug? Also I currently have an ngk br8hs spark plug and my friend was saying I should have a br9hs and I was reading about the iridium plugs and was thinking I might should get one of those?? Any thoughts on why my miles per gallon is so horrible?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Since you are now at four turns the 40 should bring you to 2 turns which is good. The main jet has no screw. There is a needle that slides into it. The needle should be set with the circlip in the center slot. If you have an adjustable needle. If not get one. There may be someone here that has a spare that will work.
As for the plug heat range... It is more important to have a colder plug with an engine running at/near WOT all the time. For everyday cruising a colder plug fouls quickly, and is not a good idea. I think yours also takes an NGK BR8HSA. That is a very different plug. I use the HS plugs for tuning, and the HSA's for running.
You are going to have to sort out the jetting/needle/plug before worrying about MPG. The main will affect your WOT issues so try getting it to run great at low speed/ 1/2 throttle, and we will get the WOT part after that.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Like50ninja

• View Profile
Got it, I'll get the 40 installed and hunt down a br8hsa plug
Thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time to teach me a few things

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
I'm just paying it back Bro. Everyday I learn something here as well. (not always scooter related but, new)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Like50ninja

• View Profile
I was riding to work today and the loss of acceleration problem became a lot worse
It wasn't backfiring anymore but after riding WOT for a mile or so it started cutting out a lot.
Before it would just do it once then it would stop and not do it again for a long while but today it cut off numerous times, then I got to a light and stopped and it didn't do it again the rest of the way. Is this still the CDI, I looked for the de restricting post but the only one I found was the one that tells you to call and have them send you a de restricted one. I couldn't find the one explaining how to do it without buying a new one??

Like50ninja

• View Profile
I looked at every post about CDI and I have the same one as on this one post that swears there is no restriction on my rev limit so now I'm a little worried about why it's cutting out

Like50ninja

• View Profile
SOrry for all the posts, it's not actually cutting out it runs much smoother 1/4 to 1/2 and even wide open it's not even really cutting out completely its more like a sputter and it only happens after Ive been going for a bit but it keeps happenIng and I have to keep letting of the gas the going and repeat or it will just keep sputtering. Any thoughts??

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
It sounds like it's fouling the plug. Can you remove the plug, and post a Pict of it? If not this may help...http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm

Like50ninja

• View Profile
thanks for the link!
it looks like I have a mix between an oil foul and a carbon foul
the tip of the plug is clean and dry but has a charcoal grey color to it
but the threads of the plug look somewhat wet with what looks like oil
here is a pic

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
...thats one rich plug!!!

..the clean electrode says its running in a decent heat range, but dang...that looks rich to me!!...

..one thing i learned in my S9/malossi air filter tuning trials, was that if your oil is too rich, you cannot get a good plug reading...

..mines was never black, like th one in your pic, usually lighter, with "varnish" looking deposits inside, down around the mix ring...

..extremely oil-rich mix will create a very dirty electrode build-up, that will fuse the two electrodes together...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:23:08 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Like50ninja

• View Profile
I knew it was rich but an 85 main jet is lean so I have to run with the 90
My oil/gas mixes itself and I have no idea how to adjust how much oil mixes with my gas
Also I currently have my stock air box on

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..you can drill that 85 out a bit....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
I agree. (have too or he'll hate mail me). Do you have the manual? You need to try two things... Adjust the oil pump to the correct setting. That would be lining up the "v" notch on the cam/dial with the line on the housing at full throttle. (bike off) and use ONLY a good quality 2 stroke oil made for Injector pump engines.
Buy two new plugs, and drain out your oil from the tank. Refill with the proper oil, and run it with one of the plugs for one tank of fuel. Adding a few ounces of Sea Foam will help to clean out the gook inside the carb, and engine. Then swap the plug, and recheck the condition. If you want to post another plug pict. take the Pict. so that we can see inside the bottom of the electrode. From there you will be able to tackle any jetting issues.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..you can drill that 85 out a bit....

..wait...oem airbox, and an 85 is lean???

..well, that dont sound right...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
The 85 may appear lean due to too much oil. Sort out the oil first. Worry about jetting later

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()