Author Topic: Downtown 300 - Good long distance?  (Read 9974 times)

BikerDude

• View Profile
Downtown 300 - Good long distance?
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »
Hi,

I'm seriously considering a Downtown 300i instead of a car. I have to say that cost is a reason though not the entire story. It would seem that after looking around, the DT300 offers the best value for money. Anyone want to argue that point? I went to have a look at a Suzuki Burgman 400 but my local dealer didn't have one in stock. It looked (from the photos) kinda similar to the DT300 for size, but was nearly 50% more expensive!

The DT300 would be my first bike, so want to make sure I get it right. I want to do long distance as well as commuting. By "long distance" I mean 350 miles each way...

The DT300 seems to have great performance and excellent fuel economy. Would it be up to long haul?

BikerGuy.

juanpauk

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 300 - Good long distance?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »
Hi BikerGuy,

In terms of distance the DT300 can do that and a lot more so that will not be an issue. a lot of people complaint about the sitting position and the material of the seat (not too confortable after a while).

If I where you I would buy the bike and modify the material of the seat for a gel one, you may have to spend some money but the savings on the long run will justify the cost.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:52:49 PM »
It will do the mileage you mentioned without a problem, but other then looking like
the Burgman/Majesty/Silverwing, it's completely different in one aspect.

Comfort.

The Downtown is made for.. wait for it.. downtown riding.
I would travel on it, not a a problem, but 350miles maybe 2-3 times a year tops.

The Xciting is much more comfortable, and all of the 3 mentioned japanese scoots
are a lot more comfortable for long distance.

I even found the People 300GTi to be more comfortable (both seat and suspension)
then the Downtown.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »
You want to buy your 1st bike, but it won't be your last bike unless you screw up.
It is unlikely that you will be able to select a bike that can do all that you think you want to do right now.
In-town, freeway, and long distance riding are all different and certain bikes perform better for each.

Get a bike that you can handle and that is comfortable for you. 
Looking at specifications will not tell you all you need to know.
You have to sit on the bikes to see if they fit your frame.
And you have to ride them to see if they fit your state of mind.

Take a scooter or motorcycle safety training course before you buy.  The Beginning Courses furnish the motorcyle.
Check with the MSF for your state. (Motorcycle Safety Foundation).

And yes, it never hurts to get the opinions of experiences riders.

Scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 03:17:39 AM »
Hi,

The DT300 would be my first bike, so want to make sure I get it right. I want to do long distance as well as commuting. By "long distance" I mean 350 miles each way...

The DT300 seems to have great performance and excellent fuel economy. Would it be up to long haul?

BikerGuy.

I have done more that that on mine. I guess i am different than most with this bike. I am 6'2" and find it very comfortable and like the fit. I am planning a 6000 + k trip on mine next summer, Saskatoon to Ottawa and back a week later. I have added a top case and larger wind screen to mine. I have read about to many strange problems on this forum with the exciting 500 to even consider one.
I would buy another dt300 if something happened to this one.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »
I have done 350 in a single day with no issue. Just remember you have limited leg movement so you will be sitting up streight almost the entire way. In getting off the bike there was no real leg or back strain. I am not sure about if I had to do a total of 700 in one day.

The other problem may be weather. If you are only using this as alternative good weather vehicle then there may be no issue. Now if there is bad weather this could change things drastically. While I have done short runs caught in bad weather 350 miles to me would be unimaginable.....................

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:01:51 PM »
as per tanware.....i just can't see travelling that far without having to worry about bad weather.....imo....bad weather reduces the fun pleasure of riding ....i rarely go more than 100 miles one way...i do local, freeway......on my 300 with no problems...

as re the issue of seat comfort and leg room ..yes these can be issues...but lets face it nobody rides 700 miles without getting on and off the scooter numerous times ....so stopping and resting to me is what mitigates against comfort and fatigue.....just need to know your limits...

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:06:58 PM »
as per tanware.....i just can't see travelling that far without having to worry about bad weather.....imo....bad weather reduces the fun pleasure of riding ....i rarely go more than 100 miles one way...i do local, freeway......on my 300 with no problems...

as re the issue of seat comfort and leg room ..yes these can be issues...but lets face it nobody rides 700 miles without getting on and off the scooter numerous times ....so stopping and resting to me is what mitigates against comfort and fatigue.....just need to know your limits...

Even with the harsher suspension and harder seat, the Downtown is still more comfortable in the long run then my Kawasaki ER6F
which is a light touring bike more or less.. but I've been doing 100 mile days on a bicycle, so you can't count my opinion.. :)
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

BikerDude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 10:55:23 PM »
Hi,

Great responses! When I said I "wanted to get it right" I meant in so far as getting something decent/not crazy on power (e.g. 1200cc as much as I wouldn't say no  ;D ), etc.. and that is good for a "beginner" and general bike whilst being capable as I "grow" into it.

I noticed that people tend to own multiple bikes - I don't want to get ahead of myself.  ;D  I had considered getting a smaller 125 (cost considerations) but I think I'd be screwing myself for longer runs, which I do reasonably frequently (maybe 6 times a year), hence looking at the 300 instead.

Take a scooter or motorcycle safety training course before you buy.  The Beginning Courses furnish the motorcyle.
Check with the MSF for your state. (Motorcycle Safety Foundation).
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm in the UK. I have already been to talk to a training school, and I found out that I can basically take any bike as a beginner (I'm over 21) and do a "Direct Access" course, which would enable me to drive it after passing the relevant tests. As a result, getting a smaller bike looks less attractive (I was tempted to get a 125 for a while then change later, but I can save some hassle and go for a decent bike from the start, and have the advantage of learning to ride on it as well).

Get a bike that you can handle and that is comfortable for you.
Looking at specifications will not tell you all you need to know.
You have to sit on the bikes to see if they fit your frame.
And you have to ride them to see if they fit your state of mind.
Duly noted.

...the Downtown is still more comfortable in the long run then my Kawasaki ER6F...but I've been doing 100 mile days on a bicycle, so you can't count my opinion.
hehe - I can tolerate the hard ride of a sports car whilst many would run screaming so I might be OK! :D

The other problem may be weather. If you are only using this as alternative good weather vehicle then there may be no issue. Now if there is bad weather this could change things drastically. While I have done short runs caught in bad weather 350 miles to me would be unimaginable.....................
Why is this? Surely this is down to clothing?

I would buy another dt300 if something happened to this one.
Good to know!

The Xciting is much more comfortable, and all of the 3 mentioned japanese scoots
are a lot more comfortable for long distance.

I even found the People 300GTi to be more comfortable (both seat and suspension)
then the Downtown.
I'll have to see if I can find some way to try them. I can try the Burgman in the next week (sit on it anyway). I'll see what my local Kymco dealer has in stock to look at.

Any particular Kymco I should be looking at, in addition to the DT300i? I want something good for the motorway, which the DT300i seems to be.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Any particular Kymco I should be looking at, in addition to the DT300i? I want something good for the motorway, which the DT300i seems to be.

Just the Xciting 500Ri..
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

BikerDude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »
Just the Xciting 500Ri..
Hmm. I don't see that listed on the UK site ( http://www.kymco.co.uk/ ).  ???

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 01:07:21 AM »
From that sight looks like the 300I is the biggest they carry. I think it would be a good choice.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

BikerDude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 01:55:51 AM »
From that sight looks like the 300I is the biggest they carry. I think it would be a good choice.
Great!

I have been having a look around, and it seems the 300i has a slightly harder ride compared to others, but is otherwise a good bike overall. I'm trying to figure out if there is £1500 value in a slightly bigger bike. For my needs it seems not.

Performance of the 300i seems good (0-60 in ~10 secs) with good accel from 50 (more important IMHO for things like over-taking), and if the rollers are changed, this seems to be improved. Fuel economy seems excellent too (though I'm looking at this as a car driver rather than a biker).

Can anyone comment on handling vs. other bikes. What is meant by "stability" exactly? Is there any other bike-specific terminology/handling I should be aware of?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:01:37 AM by BikerDude »

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
Hmm. I don't see that listed on the UK site ( http://www.kymco.co.uk/ ).  ???

It's about to be replaced with the new Xciting 400 with 40hp and another redesign, so they might have removed it
because of that.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »
Can anyone comment on handling vs. other bikes. What is meant by "stability" exactly? Is there any other bike-specific terminology/handling I should be aware of?

The corners I'm able to take doing 70-75mph on my Kawasaki (it could take more, but I don't like riding on the very
edge of the tires) I was able to take at the same speed on the Downtown 300, flat-out everywhere.

It's very composed and just starts to flex a bit when pushed too hard, and that's about it.

Here's my review of the bike:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694673
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()