Author Topic: How good is your back brake?  (Read 2889 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
How good is your back brake?
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
How good is your back brake? I am asking as i noticed last week that mine is pretty poor really. I know its a drum so wont be as good as the front disc but i is really pretty rubbish when used alone.

I checked my pads/shoes and they are fine, checked the adjustment and its set correct, i have very little play on the lever but still it seems to take an age to stop if i use just the rear and leave the front alone.

I wont not use the front brake normally but by chance i somehow i noticed last week just how poor the rear was so wondered if it was normal?

How is everyone elses rear brake? If i get to 20-30mph and try stop using only the rear it takes a long time, well over dounle the distance of my front brake i reckon. I maybe just never noticed it before as i use both brakes normally so it was maybe always like this?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
Re: How good is your back brake?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
Well, it's normal.
If the scoot is fully loaded, sometimes you can BARELY stop the scoot using just the rear brake.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Cheers Axy, i thought it was ok and it just was rubbish as stock from new but just hadnt noticed it before.

If i had a choice i would rather have a rear disc so that if it locks up i got more chance to control it that if the front wheel locks, like on an emwrgency stop.

Just need to be careful i guess.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
Cheers Axy, i thought it was ok and it just was rubbish as stock from new but just hadnt noticed it before.

If i had a choice i would rather have a rear disc so that if it locks up i got more chance to control it that if the front wheel locks, like on an emwrgency stop.

Just need to be careful i guess.

Rear brake is not that important, especially not on Agility. Front brake contributes 70 to 100 % to total braking power of 2-wheeled vehicle.
Agility has so-so front disc brake that has the ability to stop it adequately at all usual speeds. (I am talking about A125, let alone A50!!!)

Ability of the rear brake to stop the vehicle with two wheeels is seriously diminished under heavy braking when front forks are compressed and rear wheel tends to get off the ground.

Anyway, keep it working properly, tighten the cable every now and then (tends to get loose every few hundred kms) and you will be good to go.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
take some sandpapper to the pads you may have a little dirt build up on theam .   this might help. you can also try fliping theam around.

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
Yeah they are not the greatest in terms of using them soley to stop from speed.  I use both brakes when fully stopping, but for slowing up like for corners when I don't want to lose alot of speed or stop or just to scrub some speed behind a slower moving vehicle (it happens sometimes lol, mainly when they are going to turn) or when I am sitting at a stop, is when I use my rear brake.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »
Well, to be honest, rear Agility`s brake is more like a reserve braking light actuator.  8) ;D
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
With all vehicles, as Axy said, the front brake does most of the braking, but the rear does assist with braking. On its own it is ok for washing off some speed as Resolve said, but if you want to do some moderate to heavy braking, you will be surprised at just how much the rear will assist.
uh oh. :D
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:27:29 PM »
I noticed today that it works not too bad at 15+ mph but at low speeds it pretty useless, i would be better using my feet on the ground  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »
Try disconnecting it and ride in the wet and you will see just how good it really is.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
Try disconnecting it and ride in the wet and you will see just how good it really is.

No way Sid, i had some bad experiences in the wet! ::)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
See, your rear brake is not so bad after all. :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »
..i topped a hill on my a50 running @ 45 mph, only to find a car stopped dead in the road...

..slid my rear tire for about 15 feet..

..of course, my left hand has never been quite the same and it took a while to get the seat pried outta my rear...

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
..i topped a hill on my a50 running @ 45 mph, only to find a car stopped dead in the road...

..slid my rear tire for about 15 feet..

..of course, my left hand has never been quite the same and it took a while to get the seat pried outta my rear...

:o

I did almost the exact opposite last week. Goin downhill at near 50mph on gauge in the wet with flames comin off my helmet when some stupid fool in a car decides to brake for no reason. I pooped my pants, slammed on brakes and steered to avoid as i knew i would hit him if i dodnt. Was almost stopped, due to skidding but as i turned to avoid the front locked and slid a bit. Managed to hold it, just, but heart was in my mouth.  Sat staring at him thro his side window with my hands in the air shaking my head but he jst drove off as if he had done nothing wrong ???

Getting more dangerous out there with all these idiot drivers on the road!
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
I did almost the exact opposite last week. Goin downhill at near 50mph on gauge in the wet with flames comin off my helmet when some stupid fool in a car decides to brake for no reason. I pooped my pants, slammed on brakes and steered to avoid as i knew i would hit him if i dodnt. Was almost stopped, due to skidding but as i turned to avoid the front locked and slid a bit. Managed to hold it, just, but heart was in my mouth.  Sat staring at him thro his side window with my hands in the air shaking my head but he jst drove off as if he had done nothing wrong ???

Getting more dangerous out there with all these idiot drivers on the road!

If he was in front of you, sorry, but the fault is all yours, regardless of his reason to brake (if any at all).
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()