Author Topic: How to adjust valves on DT300?  (Read 5291 times)

Dibber

• View Profile
How to adjust valves on DT300?
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
Has anyone checked or adjusted the valves on their DT300?  Is it difficult to get the job done?  Do you have to remove a lot of plastic panels to get this job done?  I have done valve adjustments on motorcycles and Genuine Buddy 125 but never on the DT300.
Thanks.

roboscoot

• View Profile
Re: How to adjust valves on DT300?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »
I also will be interested in this post .....as i also have the 300.....from what i can see i think you can get to them .....by removing the seat tray....four or five screws.....and may possibly need to remove the right side panel......any one else who has already done it or had it done... please chime in.

full of days

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
Ditto -- it would be great if there were a DIY vid for the new 300. 

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
at this point....i have not heard from anyone on this forum who has attacked this issue....perhaps we can attribute it to the fact that the scooter is new and there hasn't been much in the way of repair or tune up for the majority of owners....but it will come at some point....

knowing what specific plastic parts to remove is one thing...but getting to the front of the engine removing the head and working with a  doc set up with efi is not for the faint of heart...not  gy6 as such...personally you need to ask yourself...is it worth it?

so my focus once out of the warranty...is to latch on to a reputable mechanic....perhaps a more difficult task than that question posed at the beginning of this thread....i too will await the latest u-tube for info on"how to"....but at a minimum your probably talking a 300-400 dollar job (with oil change and new plug as needed.....

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:15 AM »
The shop can do this for me. The mechanic needs a job and I'd like a scooter that hasn't been called just about every percievable name in the book. It isn't that I can not do it, just I do not want to do it................

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:01:34 PM »
on this scooter....you are probably right.....if you have a(close by) reputable mechanic....who works on kymcos.....it is worth it.....as this is not your typical gy6,,,,,i believe the head has to be removed etc.....it can get complicated....

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »
Have not looked at one but if it is like the other Kymco liquid cooled engines, the valve cover only needs to be removed, not the head. The hardest part is getting the plastic off.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
at this point....i have not heard from anyone on this forum who has attacked this issue....perhaps we can attribute it to the fact that the scooter is new and there hasn't been much in the way of repair or tune up for the majority of owners....but it will come at some point....

knowing what specific plastic parts to remove is one thing...but getting to the front of the engine removing the head and working with a  doc set up with efi is not for the faint of heart...not  gy6 as such...personally you need to ask yourself...is it worth it?

so my focus once out of the warranty...is to latch on to a reputable mechanic....perhaps a more difficult task than that question posed at the beginning of this thread....i too will await the latest u-tube for info on"how to"....but at a minimum your probably talking a 300-400 dollar job (with oil change and new plug as needed.....

Jeeese, why would a valve adjustment on a single cylinder cost 300-400 dollars?.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

full of days

• View Profile
Re: Re: How to adjust valves on DT300?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »
4 bolts... Pop the headcover and the valves are underneath.  Not rocjet science

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:09:30 AM »
A valve adjustment should not be hard. Get a shop manual for that scooter. take your time getting the Tupperware off. take the valve cover off. find TDC. Set to specifications. I find with a little patience and maybe a friend who has some experience, you will figure it out quickly. After you have done this once or twice it goes quickly. I am a firm believer in DYI scooter maintenance. You will love your scooter on a hole nother level. Scoot on!

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »
i may be wrong...but looks like engine set up  like my ms3-250.....if so i do not think you need to remove any tupperware to get to valve cover. removal..and can easily work on it......my old computer crashed.....its where i had the shop manual. for the dt 300...down loaded....have a new computer now......if anyone has the link for the shop manual.....and can send to me....i would very much appreciate it....thanks robo/bob

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 03:14:34 AM »
   I just did the valves on my 300i dt.  at 28.000 km. very easy,. remove the seat and tub , remove one  tube , remove 4 bolts and remove gas supply hose by one bolt on top of it, wiggle cover till it comes off, all clear for doing your valves,.    mine were tight on one valve onexhaust and one on intake,.   now I am looking for a 3 mm. spanner foe adjusting valve, to make it easier to hold while you tighten the lock nut,. reassemble and your done,.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »
   after the valve job, I picked up a old robertson screw driver #2  poped the tip out and voila you have a 3 mm square wrench  cut it to length  about 3 or 4 inches put a  right angle bend in it to make it easy to hold,

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:51:37 AM »
The only plastic ya have to remove is the seat tub. Of course, you have to remove the seat to do that. The seat tub out of the way gives plenty of room to remove the cam/valve cover and set the valve clearances. Four valves, four clearances.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 04:23:06 AM »
   the service manual says to change the gasket , but I looked at it and its a solid rubber gasket that fits in a groove , I think you dont have to change it,. any thoughts on that ,.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()