Author Topic: Bad instraments  (Read 1536 times)

docjones

• View Profile
Bad instraments
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
I read some stories on here about bad instraments. i.e. speedo/tack Are they really that prone to not working correctly or not at all. Are the newer ones any better than the old ones? Is Kymco taking care of these problems, maybe even after warranty is up?
09 Agility 125

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Bad instraments
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
Dear Docjones....
Sometimes you'll post a message that nobody wants to comment on.   I too, especially would like to know
just how many have suffered issues particularily with the speedometer.   I have had more than numerous
occasions where it just would not work.  I actually purchased a Garmin 1300 GPS just for this bike because
the speedomter gets messed up so often.   

My dealer is 60 miles away.  I made several rides and visits there about this issue and he really didn't
get any good answer after contacting US Kymco.   It's out of warranty now.

There seems to be a few basic reasons that have been established.
1)   The Sensor is not adjusted correctly.  There is a fair amount of tolerance on this adjustment.
       I have ordered a new sensor for back-up.  After almost 3 months.,  it's still back-ordered.
2)   The smaller wires leading from the sensor to the plug-in on the speedometer may be broken.
      (Good possibility due to it's off and on performance.)
3)   The Speedometer may be reset using a key on/off,  battery disconnect procedure listed in another e-mail here.
      (Some are somewhat leary doing this because it's not factory recommended.)
4)  There may be corrosion build-up on the plug contacts.  (I bought some dielectric grease at the Harley Shop
     it has helped somewhat.)

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:26:29 PM »
Thanks Urbestfriend, I know I ask a lot of questions, stupid or silly, I'm just looking for answers before I make that final decision on the last scoot I ever want to buy. My girlfriend and I both got Agility 125s in May of 2010. I did a ton of homework on scoots before that decision and it really payed off. We have put over 8000 miles on them since then and only thing to go wrong with either one was a CDI went bad on mine at about 6500 miles, not kilometers. It was covered under warranty.
Needless to say I think Kymco makes a great scooter and I really want to get an Xciting 250Ri because it is way over built. It's the little things that are holding me back. Thanks again for your imput.   Tom in North Florida
09 Agility 125

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 02:46:25 PM »
You'll recall,  Urbestfriend runs both a 04 Grandvista and an 09 Xciting 250.  Both are running close
to 7,000 miles now.   I love them both and I'm 62,  so I'll have to part with one of them when I retire.
Right now,  I couldn't decide which.   The bigger wheels on the X250 are a better ride,  but it's considerably
heavier.  Like driving a big truck after being on the GV for awhile after the deer ran into me on the X250 in August.

Unfortunately my scariest part is at the end of my lane on an apron leading onto the 5 lane state highway.
This is a business / residential section.   Every entry to every drive jumps about an 1 1/2" from the road
surface to the sidewalk / apron.   The GV approach is much different so I don't get caught by uneven
pavement.

I've had the X250 on several trips to Indy,  Terre Haute and Louisville,  all 60 or more miles.
All up to 70 mph and 67 mpg.

I hope to have a new picture of both of them soon.   I did but the Captain's Seat for the GV which
was a good investment.   I've had 3 Kymco's and 2 Yamaha's,  all of which are still in the family.

Best value for me has been the Kymcos.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()