Poll

at the end of the week I park my bike up as normal and on Monday's when I go to work my bike never starts up straight away, well this morning was the same and it took 3 times to start (maybe because its cold) anyway it started and I pulled throttle back a

Help
0 (0%)
help
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Kymco got faster  (Read 1695 times)

warrenan

• View Profile
Kymco got faster
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
at the end of the week I park my bike up as normal and on Monday's when I go to work my bike never starts up straight away, well this morning was the same and it took 3 times to start (maybe because its cold) anyway it started and I pulled throttle back a little bit and all of sudden it went faster and faster, than usual, and now at traffic lights It speeds off quite fast, really strange? its only 3 months old :)

gregspeople250

• View Profile
Re: Kymco got faster
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »
Sounds like the normal cold weather performance of most internal combustion engines.  Cold fuel has less volatiles ready to begin the combustion process.  The extra time it takes for the engine to warm to normal operating temperatures makes the engine idle fast for a longer running time.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »
greg...does adding fuel additives /octane booster during the cold months....impact the process you describe .....making the scooter easier to start.....i have heard different views on this....

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
In the cold months just keep a little dry gas in the tank it well help with mosture build up in the gas line.
kymcos run funny in the cold they need a good worm up befor takeing off.( the kymco worm up.)

superfevergurl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
I'm definitely not an expert (except maybe an expert on riding in cold temps), but air cooled engines tend to run better in cooler weather. Also changes in temp can affect the idle adjustment. I've noticed after a drop in temp outside, my bike idles higher.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:15:26 AM »
Cold air is denser. Meaning your air and fuel mixture is more potent than normal. This is the same principle behind supercharging, turbo charging (especially with intercoolers), Nitrous Oxide injection, etc. You force feed more air into the engine for power or in a way make the air more dense.  Some use carbon dioxide to cool the air before entering the engine. Carbon dioxide is very cold. Some use water injection for the same purpose.

A misconception on octane boosters. Octane boosters will increase octane numbers of fuel if you have bought a low octane fuel due to inavailability of high octane. If you have high octane already, the increase would be negligible and unecessary. You are just wasting money. Octane numbers of gas is the level of anti-knock properties of fuel and nothing more. Rule of thumb is just to use the proper fuel for your engine. Using higher octane gas will just make oil companies and additives companies richer. Racing cars, exotic cars use high octane not because its needed for speed. They need high octane because the engines are high compression engines. Using lower octane will result to knock or detonation and the car will not achieve optimum power.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 05:58:45 AM »
Thanks, Vivo.  Nice clear explanations on both those subjects.  ;)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 06:48:02 AM »
You're welcome Sir.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:53:02 AM by Vivo »

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 02:20:34 AM »
Not to mention your bike is still being broken in. Has it had its first service yet?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()