Author Topic: Keeping warm while riding.  (Read 3914 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Keeping warm while riding.
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »
I live and will ride in NJ, my People 200s has a full winshield that covers most of the handgrip, will that block the wind enough so regular insulated gloves will be good enough or am I drasticly underestimating the power of cold on the hands?

As always thanks in advance.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Keeping warm while riding.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
Deflecting the wind is huge in keeping the hands warm.
Get some Gore-Tex winter motorcycle gloves at the very least.
Heated grips work well with wind deflectors.
It depends on the duration and the temperatures you ride in as well.
I get by riding in the winter in the 30's and 40's, but I only have a 15 minute commute.
Riding below 32 degrees and my hands are very cold after that 15 minutes.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
Thanks, my ride will be about the same 15 min. it's 6 miles each way.

Any expected trouble starting the bike after it's been sitting outside for 8+ hrs in 32 degree temps? I'd hate to have to leave the bike and take a taxi home.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:08:22 AM »
Probably no trouble starting it but 32º means ice, so beware.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:17:29 AM »
I had pretty much the same commute for years. No heated gear needed. Just half way decent gloves and liners. Below 20F it becomes a bit nasty and it helps a lot not going faster than 25mph. Around 10F you might want to stop half way for 3 minutes to warm up your fingers. At 0F you will definitely want heated gear - i will never forget that pain and numb feeling in my fingers after a 20 minutes ride at -5F with lets say just ok gloves...

scootit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
I always carry a pack of those little hotties pack in my front pocket. I have them out of the package and ready to use. Snap it and shove it into your glove or even pocket. Costco has a large box right now for cheep. For the small price i use them when it is cold out. Also I bought a pair of snow pants. Make sure they unzip at the ankle area. They slip right on and off, roll up small for storage. You can get them at a goodwill for under $15. I do not like being cold when I ride.
wmm

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 02:59:37 AM »
bottom line ...it's a matter of how cold it is , how far you have to go....and how fast you must move .....if you are just riding local and can get a way with 25-30 mph....that's one thing ...if you have to hop on an interstate and go faster to keep up with the rest of the traffic....you can become pretty cold and pretty quickly!

ScooterBus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 05:59:51 AM »
I have an 09 Ajility that can't handle the electric gear so I bought a small deap cycle battery (9.6 amp hours-batteries plus) and put it under my seat in the storage compartment. I ran the wires over the hump and in front of the seat. I run an electric jacket and glove liners from Gerbing and I just charge the battery when i get home. Once you go electric you never go back!   

scootit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
Please tell me more about this extra battery that you have. I have no idea what your talking about so be basic with me. Where do I get one, is it just placed under your seat and how much do they cost and... can I get hurt from it if I touch it by accident???????? I need to stay warmer this time of year.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:14:04 AM »
I all so have a small deep cycle battery under my seat . I hooked a cigarette lighter to it so I can plug all most anything to it. right now im running a small elc, heater to it and it worms the seat up good .
Im going to try elc heat tape on the seat that would be nice. its also hooked up to the maine scoot battery so I dont have to recharge it works good.

ScooterBus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
I got it from Batteries Plus (USA) for around $30.00. It is a werker deeap cycle that they use for powere chairs. It fits just to the left or right of the hump that has the carb. inspection door. You can place electrical tape over the slide on (spade connector type) posts. I use a towel to place over it. I used an Gerbing (motorcycle electric heated gear company) battery connection wiring harness you can get from any Harley Davidson dealer for around $7-10. The battery fits snug under the seat between the hump and you still have a lot of room. I have a new 2009. I then ran the wires over the storage compartment so I can connect it to my electric jacket liner. The jacket liner uses around 77watts and I think with the 9.6 amp hour battery this should give me an hour and a half of heat. Dont laugh I just installed a hand wind deflector on my windshield. I cut my extra helmet visor in half and drilled twoo hole in each and bolted them to the lower edges of the windsheild that wraps around each hand grip and it cuts down 75% of the wind on my hands.

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
I posted this in the Winter Riding Gloves topic:

I've just added a pair of heated hand grips by Oxford called Heaterz http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=amp&Product_Code=TTLOXF-26-0696&Category_Code=motorcycle-gripsheated. I bought these from my local dealer and not this website.  Installation was pretty straight forward and took less then an hour.  I spent more time figuring out how and where to run the wires.  If anyone is interested I can try to leave a detail description and some pics for an Xciting 250.

Performance:  WOW! Nice toasty hands.  I actually have to turn them down a notch because they get so warm on my hands.  I have used them in 28* weather and that is when I turned them down a notch.  I wear my lightly insulated riding gloves and have no issues.  It has made a BIG difference in my overall comfort in riding, no more cold hands. 

A couple of notes is that I commute 5 days a week and have 20 mile each way ride with speeds up to 55mph, so I know I have ample time to keep the battery topped off and charged.
09 Xciting 250

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
I installed the Acerbis Hand Guards, which are nice but my hands still get too cold.  Right now I'm looking at  heated gloves.  They are available with battery power supply and plug in type which I would prefer.  The power required is 15 Watts and 2.3 amp draw at 12.8 volts from a cigarette lighter type recepticle.  Does anyone know if that power is available on the Yeager?  Karl?

Richard L.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:01:18 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 01:17:28 AM »
You might try some handle bar mitts ( or muffs)...I have them on the three scooters I have, and they're great! You can get them in waterproof fabric. They usually slip on and off the handle bars easily. I can wear a pair of regular or lightly insulated gloves with them and stay perfectly comfortable.

Karlu
Las cruces, nm

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
check out scooterskirts.com might look funny on us guys but hay worm is good.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()