Author Topic: Roller Weights and Clutch Spring  (Read 15329 times)

jezyg

• Agility 50 2011 and SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
    • View Profile
    • UK Police Books
Roller Weights and Clutch Spring
« on: November 19, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
Were is the best place to buy some 5.5g roller weights and 1000rpm clutch spring?

Whilst I am replacing my rear brake lever may as well do these mods at the same time!
2011 Agility 50
2011 SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Policebooks

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Weights and Clutch Spring
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
..scootertronics..in the states...

..i like the 1500 contra in my agility...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »
Thanks not sure if I will go for 2000 rpm? It is zippy acceleration I need more than top speed so ordered 2000 rpm set from Scooter Assassins for £4.50.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:09:29 PM by jezyg »
2011 Agility 50

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »
I think you may find the 2000rpm spring is too stiff for you jezyg. I got the 3x spring pack from S.Assassins and tried all 3 at various tomes. The 1000rpm was good until i swapped out to a longer belt then the 1500rpm was better for me.
When i tried the 2000rpm spring with the stock belt it was actually slower uphills! Tested by goin up the same steep hill for all springs, i was around 20mph on stock, 26-27mph on 1000rpm,  26-28mph on 1500 (but was better up lower hills on 1500), dropped to 20mph on 2000rpm!

With a longer belt i only tried the 1000rpm i was using and the 1500rpm. 1000 was down to low 20's, 1500 took me back to high 20's.

For me in the past i ended up sticking with 1000rpm and 5.5g rollers, best all round set up for my scoot, decent acceleration, decent top speed and decent uphill ( at least compared to stock  ;D ) With the 1500 and 5.5g rollers it felt good and moee torquey but i felt i lost a bit top end, like i say 2000 was useless for me and turned my scoot into a dog.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
I think you may find the 2000rpm spring is too stiff for you jezyg. I got the 3x spring pack from S.Assassins and tried all 3 at various tomes. The 1000rpm was good until i swapped out to a longer belt then the 1500rpm was better for me.
When i tried the 2000rpm spring with the stock belt it was actually slower uphills! Tested by goin up the same steep hill for all springs, i was around 20mph on stock, 26-27mph on 1000rpm,  26-28mph on 1500 (but was better up lower hills on 1500), dropped to 20mph on 2000rpm!

With a longer belt i only tried the 1000rpm i was using and the 1500rpm. 1000 was down to low 20's, 1500 took me back to high 20's.

For me in the past i ended up sticking with 1000rpm and 5.5g rollers, best all round set up for my scoot, decent acceleration, decent top speed and decent uphill ( at least compared to stock  ;D ) With the 1500 and 5.5g rollers it felt good and moee torquey but i felt i lost a bit top end, like i say 2000 was useless for me and turned my scoot into a dog.

Are you talking about the torque spring or the rpm springs? I am changing the three rpm springs so the clutch comes in at 2000rpm.

If so thanks for the heads up the 3 springs for the clutch arrived today and was intending to fit them along with my new brake lever tonight  ;D

The fit the 5.5g weights which I got off ebay for £2.50 all in when they arrive thursday!!
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
Are you talking about the torque spring or the rpm springs? I am changing the three rpm springs so the clutch comes in at 2000rpm.

If so thanks for the heads up the 3 springs for the clutch arrived today and was intending to fit them along with my new brake lever tonight  ;D

The fit the 5.5g weights which I got off ebay for £2.50 all in when they arrive thursday!!

Im talking about the torque spring/contrast spring. The 3x clutch springs (clutch fly springs) you ordered wont help you uphills at all, they only give some slight improvememt on take off accelleration from stopped, to be perfectly honest the improvement isnt huge.

I got the 3x set off them off S.Assassins, the 2000 were real tight and stiff to get on and i ended up using the 1500 ones. S.Assassins fly springs were pretty cheap and nasty i felt tho, im still using them right now but i got better 1500 ones to fit when i got time.

So my set up now is a 1500 torque spring with 1500 fly/clutch springs, on a longer belt.

For better acceleration go for the 1000 or even 1500 torque spring. You will go much better uphill and it also improves re-acceleration after slowing for tight bends or traffic.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
Im talking about the torque spring/contrast spring. The 3x clutch springs (clutch fly springs) you ordered wont help you uphills at all, they only give some slight improvememt on take off accelleration from stopped, to be perfectly honest the improvement isnt huge.

I got the 3x set off them off S.Assassins, the 2000 were real tight and stiff to get on and i ended up using the 1500 ones. S.Assassins fly springs were pretty cheap and nasty i felt tho, im still using them right now but i got better 1500 ones to fit when i got time.

So my set up now is a 1500 torque spring with 1500 fly/clutch springs, on a longer belt.

For better acceleration go for the 1000 or even 1500 torque spring. You will go much better uphill and it also improves re-acceleration after slowing for tight bends or traffic.

Thanks for that oh master  ;D It is acceleration from a standstill I need more than anything as the slight hills I go up don't really cause any issues unless I have to slow down and pick up speed so torque spring would help with this. Don't mind trading off some top end as all roads are 30mph for a little extra acceleration. It is when I go to the front of traffic queues and want to move off out the way quickly that the extra acceleration will really come into play.

As stock mine is pretty nippy just nice to have a little extra in reserve and gearing does seem a little on the high side when going up a hill. Will try the torque spring next after the roller weights thanks as always  ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:43:00 PM by jezyg »
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
The 5.5g rollers will help out a lot more than the clutch fly springs. I recently tried to go back to heavier rollers (6.5g is stock weight) but i couldnt handle the slooooooow acceleration. Even goimg from 5.5g up to 6g gave me a noticable decrease in acceleration. Think you will see a difference with the 5.5 rollers,  keeps the revs up. Mine runs great if i can keep the revs up above 6000, but below that its not so great.

I get not too bad speed away from lights now and can normally blow away cars etc for at least a few hundred yards till they pass by laughing  ;D Its a 50cc so its never going to pop any wheelies  :D

Maybe do what you said, do the rollers and fly springs then the torque/contra spring and you will have about as much acceleration as is poss without major mods. Im happy with mine generally for what it is so i dont expect huge gains with any mods but lots of small gains eventually all come together and then before you kno it its running as good as it will. If it was me i would prob buy the 1000rpm torque spring and do that at the same time since you need to strip down the rear pulley to do the fly springs anyway, saves you doing it twice.

I took a shot on a stock almost new A50 not long ago and was laughing out loud at the "performance". I could never go back to that ever  :) it was like night and day getting back on my own 2008 Scoot.  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »
A cheaper option is to go on a crash diet or for a quick result chop off a leg to save weight  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
A cheaper option is to go on a crash diet or for a quick result chop off a leg to save weight  ;D

lol very true!! Any ideas how to get the darn clutch nut off, don't have an impact wrench used the holder method in the service manual and the thing will not budge too much thread lock is one issue I can see????
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
Brute force  ???

I use an impact wrench myself cos i messed about with other methods described and got nowhere with my clutch nut or variator nut and gave up. Got an RAC one for about £22-24 off ebay.  The price of the variator tool and clutch tool worked out not kuch less. Will just be the factory thread lock. Be sure to use some new thread lock everytime ypu take it off and on.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
Brute force  ???

I use an impact wrench myself cos i messed about with other methods described and got nowhere with my clutch nut or variator nut and gave up. Got an RAC one for about £22-24 off ebay.  The price of the variator tool and clutch tool worked out not kuch less. Will just be the factory thread lock. Be sure to use some new thread lock everytime ypu take it off and on.

Any more brute force and I would snap the socket set lol absolutely rock solid no movement even tried rocking it and tapping spanner both ways to loosen. Oh and every method I could find on YouTube to no avail!!

Surprised on the variator as the dealer deresricted it so has been off once already! Changed the brake lever in 5 mins nice black finish look much better than standard silver. Like you given up on the clutch for the mo ordered an RAC wrench through Tesco see how I get on..........got to get some thread lock from Halfords.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:10:30 PM by jezyg »
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:07:24 PM »
Impact wrench is usefull anyway so you can check your rollers and change belts etc yourself in the future, sure ypu will get your moneysworth from it.

I use the light blue or green threadlock. The light blue is not so strong as the green but seems to work ok ( liquid is blue or green but both bottles are the red ones from Threadlock © )

I feel safer using the impact to refit the nuts, with the speeds they spin i dont want them flying off.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
Oh, and you need a socket for the clutch side, think its 14 or 12mm cant remember, you get one with the RAC set that fits the variator nut tho.

I just use a normal non-impact wrench cup on the impact wrench for my clutch rather than buying the impact one. Been off and on loads now and its fine still.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
Oh, and you need a socket for the clutch side, think its 14 or 12mm cant remember, you get one with the RAC set that fits the variator nut tho.

I just use a normal non-impact wrench cup on the impact wrench for my clutch rather than buying the impact one. Been off and on loads now and its fine still.

Just realised I need a 14mm 1/2 socket just been through my toolbox and sods law means I have all sizes bar 14mm!! Get one of those with the thread lock me thinks  ::)
2011 Agility 50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()