Author Topic: Roller Weights and Clutch Spring  (Read 15296 times)

jezyg

• Agility 50 2011 and SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
    • View Profile
    • UK Police Books
Re: Roller Weights and Clutch Spring
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »
Did all the mods 5.5g rollers meant the scooter would not accelerate above 30mph and extra acceleration was marginal the 2000 rpm springs made the engine sound allot smoother were just a tad too high so ended up putting it back to stock which on mine seems pretty good TBH after trying those mods. Lighter torque spring would help bike as 1000 rpm clutch springs already but not sure if worth the expense as stock strangely seems pretty good????
2011 Agility 50
2011 SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Policebooks

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 05:52:29 PM »
So did you not really get it over 30mph hen when you were getting around 42 on the stock set up?

Thats odd ??? Did yoy take it for a decent run cos sometimes when i work on me clutch or variator i need to run it up to speed and down again a few times for it all to settle back down?

If your happy woth stock then jus leave it for niw or try the 1000rpm torque spring, they cost under a tenner i think from Scooter Assassins.

Just seems weird it went so bad. You can try mixing 3x 5.5g rollers with 3x 6.5g ones, effectively giving you 6g rollers, then see if that suits better as a happy medium? Just space it 1x 5.5g then 1x 6.5g in the variator.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
So did you not really get it over 30mph hen when you were getting around 42 on the stock set up?

Thats odd ??? Did yoy take it for a decent run cos sometimes when i work on me clutch or variator i need to run it up to speed and down again a few times for it all to settle back down?

If your happy woth stock then jus leave it for niw or try the 1000rpm torque spring, they cost under a tenner i think from Scooter Assassins.

Just seems weird it went so bad. You can try mixing 3x 5.5g rollers with 3x 6.5g ones, effectively giving you 6g rollers, then see if that suits better as a happy medium? Just space it 1x 5.5g then 1x 6.5g in the variator.

Went up to 10 quite quick then very slow to 30mph then nothing more took it on a flat 40 mph road surprised me too?????? Was all down to the weights not being strong enough to up the gear after 30mph, engine just revved away!!

Hit 40+ stock no problem was amazed at the drop with lower weights. Up to 10mph did feel a little more torquey and just died. Tried it with stock clutch springs and no difference and to be honest the clutch springs made no difference other than the engine running smoother??

Clutch springs are a waste TBH on a 4 stroke engine with its much wider power/torque curve can see the point on a 2 stroke engine though. The GY6 engine seems to have decent low down torque for a 50cc lump after playing with it today.

Have to be someting like a Gilera Runner if I want a much faster accelerating bike  ;) Mine must be well set up stock  ???

Will stick with stock and try 1000 rpm torque spring in the new year, my stock one felt quite stiff.
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
Im pretty sure a sto k spring is 850rpm rated so will be a little stiffer using the 1000rpm.

If your messing about over xmas do the magic marker on the variator trick to see how far it rides up it. Just draw a few lines out from the centre hole to the outsode edge on the surface side. Go for a ride and see hiw much has worn off to see hiw far your belt is travelling up the variator.

I use a slightly longer belt in my scoot but i got a race variator too. I use a 737 i think, may be 738 long, and it goes to the edge.

I know what you mean about the clutch springs, they dont really improve much at all tbh.

If youre happy as it is then leave it, if you get bored and fancy tuning it a bit do the 1000rpm torque and try that leaving everything else as is for now and see if that helps.  You could always try lighter rollers later with a longer belt or a cheap race variator off ebay. Mine was under £20 and helps acceleration and also makes it much smoother going up the speed. Mind you my old stock one was pretty worn so maybe thats why i felt such an improvement from it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 07:28:53 AM »
My clutch springs are blue which usually denote 1000 rpm like you I thought stock was about 850rpm! The 2000 rpm ones were a bugger to fit as well not worth the effort but will give the clutch spring a go at some point. I am going to try the mix and match roller weights later to today as you suggested, will let you know how I get on.

My belt is very tight a real struggle to get back on the variator boss after removing. I am wondering how much everything being brand new and un-worn effects the tuning only just about to hit 1000Kmh?
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 08:16:01 AM »
I gave up trying to fit the 2000rpm clutch springs and used 1500 ones. My old stock springs were also blue, dont know if this is just kymco colouring or if they are 1000rpm ones. They made little if any real difference to my A50 anyway.

The stock torque/contra spring is def 850rpm im sure tho so a 1000 rpm one will help uphill and acceleration after slowing etc, at least it does on mine and most other scoots.

If you squeeze the belt into the clutch a bit it gives you slack to get the other end over the variator side. It took me ages 1st time i did it and i thought i would never get it on again. Either open up the clutch and sqeeze the belt in a bit or before you take off the variator squeeze the belt in the middle to pull it into the clutch and leave it there. If you take the clutch off of course it will prob clise up and push the belt back out.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »
I gave up trying to fit the 2000rpm clutch springs and used 1500 ones. My old stock springs were also blue, dont know if this is just kymco colouring or if they are 1000rpm ones. They made little if any real difference to my A50 anyway.

The stock torque/contra spring is def 850rpm im sure tho so a 1000 rpm one will help uphill and acceleration after slowing etc, at least it does on mine and most other scoots.

If you squeeze the belt into the clutch a bit it gives you slack to get the other end over the variator side. It took me ages 1st time i did it and i thought i would never get it on again. Either open up the clutch and sqeeze the belt in a bit or before you take off the variator squeeze the belt in the middle to pull it into the clutch and leave it there. If you take the clutch off of course it will prob clise up and push the belt back out.

Brill thanks will try the torque spring at some point have to wait as if I spend any more money her in doors will kill me, she cannot understand why I am modding a 61 plate scooter  ::) Thanks for the tips with the belt will do that later when I play with the roller weights.
2011 Agility 50

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »
Once you open the clutch and put the belt in, it should stay there while you fit the variator, as long as you don't disturb it too much.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
Once you open the clutch and put the belt in, it should stay there while you fit the variator, as long as you don't disturb it too much.

Thanks  :)

Tried the mix of 3 5.5g with 3 6.5g rollers and has done the trick lost a couple mph top end but has a little more pull once on the move as well. Did find once the bike was fully warmed and variator had bedded back in up top end speed had improved by the time I got back home. Is a few mph better up the hills and better initial acceleration  :)

Thanks again Mr Mod I yet again not worthy  ;D
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »
Meant to say, when i am expaerimenting on the cvt i only refit the cover using 4 bolts and test drive it. That way if its not right you dont need to undo all the bolts to get it back off again. Much quicker and easier and less annoying, once you get it how you like then refit all bolts in the cover.

Good its helped a bit, now when you need new rollers go for 6g or even try sliders. Still reckon a 1000rpm torque/contra spring will help it along a little more. You might get one in your xmas stocking  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »
Meant to say, when i am expaerimenting on the cvt i only refit the cover using 4 bolts and test drive it. That way if its not right you dont need to undo all the bolts to get it back off again. Much quicker and easier and less annoying, once you get it how you like then refit all bolts in the cover.

Good its helped a bit, now when you need new rollers go for 6g or even try sliders. Still reckon a 1000rpm torque/contra spring will help it along a little more. You might get one in your xmas stocking  ;D

Yep after a couple of on and off's realised it was easier to just put four bolts in for a quick test ride those bolts have been in and out more times than a labour goverment this weekend  ;D

Deffo going to try the 1000rpm torque spring next been fun playing around, my stockings are too small to get a contra spring in  :(
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 02:01:12 PM »
If nothing else it lets you get familiar with how it all goes together and a better idea of how it works. Sounds like the tuning bug has began to bite a little there. I was the same for ages then i decided i wanted mine set up as best i could without destroying my engine or spending a fortune. Im happy now and doubt i will do much more. It will soon be my back up scoot since i recently bought an old Veapa that im restoring now. Soon as i get that on the road and do my cbt i wont be riding the Agility too much i dont think. Just give it the odd run or use it if i need to drop off my son or daughter in town etc since i cant take passengers as a learner on the 125 Vespa.

My 14yr old son has his eye on the Kymco for when he hits 16.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
If nothing else it lets you get familiar with how it all goes together and a better idea of how it works. Sounds like the tuning bug has began to bite a little there. I was the same for ages then i decided i wanted mine set up as best i could without destroying my engine or spending a fortune. Im happy now and doubt i will do much more. It will soon be my back up scoot since i recently bought an old Veapa that im restoring now. Soon as i get that on the road and do my cbt i wont be riding the Agility too much i dont think. Just give it the odd run or use it if i need to drop off my son or daughter in town etc since i cant take passengers as a learner on the 125 Vespa.

My 14yr old son has his eye on the Kymco for when he hits 16.

They are so easy to work on and learnt allot and so much more easy and safe to play and mod with than a car I will say I have been impressed with it out of the box changing to running 97 ron and giving it a hard run in as meant the engine has become very responsive. Always found that the cars I ran in harder ended up performing better and being more economical than those that I followed what was in the manual. Lighter rollers have also made the bike smoother as was some resonance lower down up to about 10mph.

Vespa's are cool pricy new but good value second hand especially one to fix up, something I am considering......

I will stick with 50cc even for my next bike I think but want to try a performance two stroke such as Aprillia SR 50 or Gileria Runner which looks wise I adore  :) Don't like the sound of a two stroke but the extra performance 4.4hp and 4.6Nm would be pretty much what I want. See who the AG further loosens up as the miles pile on.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:59:11 PM by jezyg »
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »
My Agility was my 1st scoot but i think had i known more aboutbikes and scooters i prob would've gone for a 2 stroke.The engine noise isnt that bad one you getused to it but anyway theextra torque and power makes up fo rany loudness issues. That Aprillia looks nice,as does the Gillera  8) I almost bought an Aprillia rs50 bike,70mph derestricted, but decided on the Vespa instead.

I got the Vespafrom a friend of a friend for £400, R reg 1998, low miles, good engine,runs sweet and starts 1st time but brakes sieze on and off a bit with it sitting in a garden since 2006. Going to replace all cables and tyres,respray it and get some chrome on it. Started it last week,2weekendswork and front end is almost ready to paint up just the rear to do then spray it over xmas hopefully,mot it jan 2012. Prob going dark blue metallic  but also like an old silver so not 100% sure yet. If i spend £200-£300 i still got a bargain cos i could not get a decent
 one here for less than £800-£1200. Lots of shiney Vespa bits on my xmas list   :D
Heres a couple of pics of how it was when i got it  and work so far, Pretty simple to work on and no plastic, its all steel.

Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
My Agility was my 1st scoot but i think had i known more aboutbikes and scooters i prob would've gone for a 2 stroke.The engine noise isnt that bad one you getused to it but anyway theextra torque and power makes up fo rany loudness issues. That Aprillia looks nice,as does the Gillera  8) I almost bought an Aprillia rs50 bike,70mph derestricted, but decided on the Vespa instead.

I got the Vespafrom a friend of a friend for £400, R reg 1998, low miles, good engine,runs sweet and starts 1st time but brakes sieze on and off a bit with it sitting in a garden since 2006. Going to replace all cables and tyres,respray it and get some chrome on it. Started it last week,2weekendswork and front end is almost ready to paint up just the rear to do then spray it over xmas hopefully,mot it jan 2012. Prob going dark blue metallic  but also like an old silver so not 100% sure yet. If i spend £200-£300 i still got a bargain cos i could not get a decent
 one here for less than £800-£1200. Lots of shiney Vespa bits on my xmas list   :D
Heres a couple of pics of how it was when i got it  and work so far, Pretty simple to work on and no plastic, its all steel.

Wow you have done well especially with it beimg the winter. Looks ace the funny thing about VESPA's today is they share engines and many other parts with Piaggio, Aprillia, Denbi and Gileria. These days it is choose a body on a pretty much standard chassis.

Look at the proper solid metal build quality compare that to the AG  :o Silver would give it a very clean retro appearance will be a real head turner once yo are finished and can see the AG getting relegated to bad weather riding.

That is the one thing with the AG that lets it down it does feel cheap even if it does not look it, lots of brittle plastic and inconsistent gaps between some panels. But for the cost v performance and handling it is pretty good, a good first bike to learn about and ride before going bigger and better.

Only thing Kymco really need to do is improve the rear damper as is under damped and fit a slightly softer rear spring, hit a rut in the road and it does bounce a little too much!
2011 Agility 50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()