Author Topic: Dr. Pulley rollers  (Read 11667 times)

bongoman

• View Profile
Dr. Pulley rollers
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:24:41 PM »
Has anyone had experience with Dr Pulley rollers on the X500?
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

Alex

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Pulley rollers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
I fitted a set of Dr Pulley sliders (they dont roll they slide ) 28gm weight..think the original rollers were 30 gm but cant find a reference to confirm this  I find the motor smoother ,accelerates better from rest, ( not heaps but seems to be more tractable) accelerates better on the run 80-120kph,  think the fuel consumption went backwards , dont  know if this is due to accelarating more cos its fun,  finally getting the speedo to read the correct speed ( and from this the odometer reading correctly), or the tyre pressure going down  (which they do..cant keep the pressure up, have to pump up twice a week to avoid them losing pressure)and making it harder to get along and so use more fuel

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »
Hey Alex, I read the same thing about less mpg that you wrote about here, on another web site, www.scootermaxi.com I hope that I posted the link correctly.

Thanks for posting your experience.
2009 Xciting 500

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 02:13:17 AM »
thanks for link bongoman. I have since yesterday weighed the stock rollers and found them to be 32gm I had thought them to be 30gm and ordered 30 gm Dr Pulleys which arrived as 28 gm...now that I know there  is so much weight differenence it explains the fast revving, lower milage and they are coming out in favour of the stock ones. I will probably increase the weight of the Dr Pulleys and try again >:(

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:20 AM »
On scootertrap.com the only weight listed for Dr. Pulley for XC500 are 28grams. Makes me wonder if there is a heavier weight that fits the XC500.

So you are replacing the Dr. Pulley with the stock ones? Is it because of lower mileage?
2009 Xciting 500

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »
Yeah I put the stock ones back for the time being I was getting 500rpm more at 60mph than with the stock rollers  engine runn6000 rpm and fuel consumption increase of 5MPG ( I just did a short fill to get a quick comparison of DrP MPg and Stock). I expect the top speed would have been less if the  engine was revving faster to get the saem speed  and would eventually run out of revs
The DrP sliders had a funny wear pattern on two of them I will post a picture..two of the stock rollers have small flats worn on them about 2mm wide across the roller...probably they were doing all the work..if the trend continued they would end up looking like DrP rollers I expect ::)

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »
I've clocked close to 300 miles on the new Dr. Pulley sliders now. Enough miles to get a feel.

Yes Alex, fuel consumption increased some for the first tank, but then I got a better grip on how to work the throttle. It doesn't take much twist to get the same revs it seems. Now I am getting better mileage than at first, in fact, it seems about the same, around 50mpg. I know the scoot performs better, at least on acceleration and up to 75 or so.

My first impressions are that the scoot revs quicker, then when I reached cruising speed, rpms dropped back to around what they were with stock. The Dr. P. sliders really made a difference, and I had to adjust the amount of twist on the throttle for the scoot responds quite differently.

So far, I like them with this caveat; I'm not sure about passing power at interstate speeds. so far, I've been on roads that I am familar with between Austin & San Antonio. The scoot still has plenty of pull going up hill, and there are lots of them on the twisty bendy back roads around here in what' called the hill country. Great riding country.
2009 Xciting 500

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:02 AM »
I found that the engine braking seemed to be less with the lighter weights, do you notice that?

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:46:30 AM »
Can't say that I have noticed less engine braking.

I still like having them installed. Now I'm working on some custom touches like seat, handlebars and pinstriping.

Sure nice weather today, like spring, time to ride!!!!!!
2009 Xciting 500

nhbill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 03:01:36 AM »
Thinking of putting  some  in a 2009 xciting 500Ri I'm a big person and would like to get off the line better what size and weight?    Thank and good riding

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »
As far as I know, they only come in one weight, and it's several grams lighter than the stock. Look on scootertrap.com, they have them listed.

My mechanic had this suggestion for adding weight should you wish to slow the sliders down; drill a small hole in one on each side of the variator and insert a metal rod.

Once I adjusted my throttle technique, mileage went back to what I was getting with stock rollers.

Also, add some dry lubricant - DRY lubricant - to the backing plate and the sliders work smoother, expecially at slower speeds and takeoff.
2009 Xciting 500

nhbill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
Bongoman   what size will fit on the scootertrap has 1 size for the 500 28x22 at 28 grams MRP size for the 500  25x22 and weights from 18 to 30 grams any help would be great thanks

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
I bought what I thought was 30gm from Scootertrap which turned out to be 28gm. I have added small pieces of copper tube inside the brass cylinders on the Dr Pulleys to bring up to stock weight 32gm. I was surprised to find that when I fitted the sliders this time they were not a loose fit like the rollers..they were loose on the  previous occasion I had them fitted...all I can put this down to is absorption of atmospheric moisture and swelling of the plastic..some plastics can absorb water and swell...so I thinned them down with emery. I used microfine MO2S powder which I have had for years ...a buddy of mine worked where they made it and it was a sample

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
so have you tried out the Dr Pulley sliders with the extra weight? How do they compare with the stock sliders? I mean the stock Dr Pulley sliders that are 28g.
2009 Xciting 500

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »
dont know yet, the scoot is not being ridden until I get some new mirrors, one got broken and I am not riding again until I get a replacement set which are on order. I come and go to work in the dark so its no fun without mirrors

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()