Author Topic: Variator  (Read 8684 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »
"I think I may use the stock roller's in the malossi, (when I can afford it). And then change to the Dr P's if I feel the RPM's are to high."
 That's the trap I just warned you about! If you want to control the rpms ONLY change with the SAME type but different weight. If you swap rollers for sliders you are changing the characteristics, and the weight. So you will not know which did what. To be completely sure you must change one thing at a time. Even if you go sliders the first try you will have to by at LEAST one more set to dial in rpms. You cant swap types, and tune it in one shot.
Try SPI for a price Mention Zuma forum for 10% . I think by now he'd do the same if you mention the Kymco forum.   
http://www.spi-parts.com/
Not everything is on the site. He is the U.S. importer now for Malossi/Polini. So dont let him tell you he "aint makin'no money at that price."
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Thinking about it a little more, I don't think I could use my Dr P's anyway as they are 31 gram, and the melossi rollers are much less in weight and may be wider or more norrow. So if the melossi's are lets say 20 gram, then I would need 21 gram Dr P's. So mine are probably usless for the mellossi? If I want to drop my RPM's a little, then I may just go up 1 gram or so and stay with the melossi rollers? This may be more easy in the long run? :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »
That's my point Sissy. They both act differently. If you dial it in using rollers (lets say 23gr rollers get your cruise where you want it) then go 2gr heavier on sliders, you "should" wind up at the same cruise with a better launch, and slightly faster top "gear". You may though have to buy ANOTHER set of sliders as this is just a ball park selection.
I've been playing w/ sliders for a few days, and think for my "tastes" I will stay w/ Malossi rollers. Sliders are just too much Var. too fast for my application. Other peop. LUV them.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 07:36:49 AM »
got a message from Tech Pulley and they said that they already shipped the flying rollers yesterday and will recieve it within the week. Can't wait to try then. But still having second thoughts on trying then on my malossi pulley.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
Man those look really neat. I like the tech of both the flying rollers & the clutch. Damn, now I have something else I want but no $ to buy them! :( Let us know how they work as soon as you get them. Since I am going to change out my variator, I would like to know if this is a good option or not? How much do they cost? As to using them on a malossi, if they are the correct size & weight they should work? Are the F-rollers you bought for the stock kymco variator, or for the malossi? Let us know? :-*

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 05:12:14 AM »
not sure how much are they. They said they send it for free for testing. Even the shipping is free. Hope they send 2 sets, 1 for the malossi and 1 for the stock.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:02 AM »
Let us know as soon as you can. Really nice new design. What will they think of next? Where is this company from? :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 06:14:21 PM »
Right, Sissy, what will they think of next?!  Just looked at those and their clutch.  Clutch seems to work on the same principle as Dr. Pulley's.  Acutally, the clutch and flying rollers look as though they could BE Dr. Pulley products.  Wonder if they are related?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »
http://www.techpulley.com/EN_FR_how_to_tune_it.html
The concept is cool but I see a lot of potential problems. Too thin for long wear, perhaps jamming under the ramp ect. It is great they are sending some out for real world testing tho. Iron out the bug BEFORE getting a Bad Rap. I can see A LOT of forum sales if they work out...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
Yes, clutch seems to work the same as the Dr P Hit clutch? :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 05:02:28 AM »
Yes, Zombie.  Well, the Dr. Pulley Co. says on their site that all their products are for RACING and/or DEMONSTRATION purposes only, not for street use, so they cover themselves.  I wouldn't be suprised to see this company do the same.  So similar, I wonder if it's a former Dr. employee or relative starting this new company.  Or just Dr. rebadging themselves?

By the way, it's VERY nice to see you back around these parts!   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:04:45 AM by Hoolander2 »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »
I appreciate the love Hoo! Thank YOU for all the (comroderrery) even spell check is baffled on that word. Most likely just a Knock off idea. I can see room for development but do like the concept. Sort of like those Spanish Vars. with the pencil type rods to push the var. Good idea, just needs more time.
I was thinking of balanced springs myself... No moving parts. Simply let centrifugal force do the work. 
Damn... Another leak at the work shop! Someones getting fired this time... Foe Shooo!

You Scad! How do I un Post? :P

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »
I don't care what kind of clutch they come up with. Nothing can tame the POWER of my X BEAST! ;D :) ;) :D :-*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »

I mixed you up w/ the toidies... Sorry

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
got and installed the flying rollers on the malossi pulley. All i can say is OMG and WTF! Power band is incredible! It dosen't care if you're at 120kph and release the throtle and gas it again. But i think should have gone with a flyer a gram or 2 heavier too much rpm but on the positive n0te it d0sen't sound like a pump boat anymore. Will do more test and c0mpare it with the sliders but i doubt that it can match the performance of the flying rollers.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()