Author Topic: Stalling, Sputtering, and Starting issues.  (Read 8230 times)

3-D

• View Profile
Stalling, Sputtering, and Starting issues.
« on: November 25, 2011, 04:46:52 AM »
Greetings to all - this is my first post here. I hope that each of you had a great Thanksgiving!

I've had my DT since October 1st and have already accumulated over 2400 miles on it (riding it for fun and 35 miles one-way to work). Overall, I love it and think that it is the perfect blend of size/performance/agility for me. Unfortunately, I've had some issues with it.

I've had infrequent stalling issues since I've had it. There have been several times when I've ridden it out of the driveway several hundred feet to the first stop sign where I was in the process of stopping and it went dead. It also seems to sputter or hesitate when going up slight grades - this seems to be worse when it's cold outside and the engine hasn't totally warmed up yet.

Yesterday, my wife and I decided to take it for a ride after it had not been started for five days (with a 3/5 full tank of gas). I backed it up from the front porch where I keep it and rolled it halfway down the driveway and let my wife get on before attempting to start it. After four unsuccessful attempts to start it, I had my wife get off of it and then it started up with very little hesitation (my wife weighs less than 150 lbs., really?!). It normally isn't as happy to start when it's colder outside, but the temperature was in excess of 70F yesterday.

I put 93 octane fuel in it from Exxon or Texaco, but stupidly overfilled it past the mark that the warning label warns about a couple of times after I first got it.  :-[

I've also noticed some kind of auditory "feedback" when I apply the brakes when traveling along. I would almost say that applying of the brakes, either before or during the aforementioned issues, seems to be the common denominator...

I told the dealership where I got it from about the issues when I took it in for the 500 mile service. They could not duplicate the problems and replaced the oil and spark plug and whatever else.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Stalling, Sputtering, and Starting issues.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:38:31 AM »
The stalling/sputtering may not be issues with the scoot at all but rather with the gas you've been getting and the fact of overfilling.  I understand overfilling can load up the vapor canister and cause bad running for a while.  Try getting your gas at a different station.  I know that cured my bad gas problems but it did take a tankful or two of good gas before symptoms went completely away. My symptoms were precisely the same as yours. (Xciting 500 '07 model) Also I would try some Seafoam or Startron fuel additive to help get rid of any fuel impurities.  Honestly, I'll bet there's no actual mechanical problem at all. 

On the brake thing, sorry I don't have any ideas -- can you be more specific?

Anyway, welcome here and happy scooting! 

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »
do the flood procedure for starting and also set your throttle;

For flooded engine, hold the throttle wide open and crank for at least 3 seconds. Turn the bike ignotion off then back on. This has served me well.

To set the throttle position with the bike off crack the throttle wide open and turn ignition on. Waait 8-10 seconds after turning on (no cranking) then release the throttle. After 5 seconds or so turn the ignition off. Now the throttle position sensors are set.

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
do the flood procedure for starting and also set your throttle;

For flooded engine, hold the throttle wide open and crank for at least 3 seconds. Turn the bike ignotion off then back on. This has served me well.

To set the throttle position with the bike off crack the throttle wide open and turn ignition on. Waait 8-10 seconds after turning on (no cranking) then release the throttle. After 5 seconds or so turn the ignition off. Now the throttle position sensors are set.

^^^ This Works ^^^

If the engine is cold and I go to start it up and don't let it fully crank    then when I push the start button again it won't start so I have to resort to the 'Tan Plan'

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
for what its worth,,,i have had the same problem on a few occasions.....and i think related to overfilling.....so when you go to fill up remove the nozzle after you hear the click....i.e. don't top off....otherwise activate the tan plan....let us know....if the problem goes away....

Ride Like the Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:16:41 PM »
I just purchased my 2012 300i and after just 75 miles I started having what appears to be warm starting issues.  It is early spring here in Dayton, Ohio and the weather is cool on the morning I picked it up from the dealer about 45 degrees.  No starting issues going home and all that day.  But the next day after starting it and roding it briefly and then letting it sit for an hour or so, it wouldn't start while cranking several times!  It appeared to be flooded so I let it sit for a moment and then tried again.  It started but idled roughly for a few minutes.  It also stalled later that day just after starting and taking off.  I'm more than concerned about the reliability of this scooter now.  I decided to buy it after looking at Burgman 400's used.  Most people where asking around $4000 for 2008 Burgmans so after reading excellent reviews on the DT300i's and hearing great things about Kymco reliability, I decided to purchase a new one thinking I wouldn't have any problems vs. buying a used scooter.  I hope this is just a fluke and the next tank will resolve the issue.  I do intend on taking it back for service.  This scooter is awesome in looks, value, and performance but I might need to rethink the relibility (the jury is still out).  Other negatives might: I would like to purchase a gel pad for the seat because it is very uncomfortable.  The seat is also tricky to close and may need adjusted.

oldcoastie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »
RLTW - I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated and worried... I've got 150 miles on mine and also had a no start issue at around 75 miles on a hot day... fortunately, I'd been reading the forum (had a Kymco Grand Vista) all along and was aware that it might be fussy in changing weather conditions... so I knew just to try the "hold the throttle open and crank for 3 seconds" trick and then she started right up...

Quirky.

And while certainly not perfect, I can live with that quirk.... I also may try just loosening the gas cap for a moment as I get a feeling that there might be a touch of vapor lock and see if that does anything...I'm also not going to get too excited about things that are different from the Grand Vista... my Downtown has a long way to go to even loosening up yet and things will change before the 1st service...

You didn't make a mistake but these bikes definitely have a bit of personality... get to know her awhile and keep reading. My Grand Vista was just a miracle of reliability and I'm willing to take a chance on the Downtown because of it...

Ride Like the Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:59 AM »
Thanks for the information and encouragement but I'm hoping I have a solution to my starting problem.  I contacted Kymco technical support and left a message regarding the warm weather starting problem.  The technician admitted that he has seen this problem in some of the scooters that they are given to drive.  He said it is a problem with the emissions and he is certain that it can be fixed.  I contacted another Kymco dealer other than the one I purchased my scooter from originally due to poor service.  The owner agreed to call Kymco and speak to the technician about the problem.  He will be calling me to setup a time for the repair.  I love this scooter so I hope this is a fix.   I will try your trick to see if it works tomorrow since it will be hot outside.  I will also keep you posted on the repair to see if it helped my scooter.  Thanks!

Ride Like the Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »
It's fixed.... My bike (2012 DT-300) would not start when the outside temperature was warm.   I spoke to Kymco tech support who shipped replacement parts to a local dealer.  There was an evaporator required by EPA in the last couple of years.  Apparently, my bike was shipped with a different one that Kymco USA didn't expect to be on it.  After the correct canister was installed,  I have not had any issues.  So, I'm very happy with the fix.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 06:10:58 PM »
do you know the bad and then good part numbers?

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »
Bump

I have this issue ... part #s   ??

thanks

I can only get it started by holding the rear brake and cracking the throttle a lit bit.

2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »
As a temp work around try taking the gas cap off before starting. Let the pressure off reinstall the cap and then start.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks, I will try that.

If all else fails I will plug and disconnect the evap canisiter, had this done on two other bikes.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
If the evap canister gets fouled, does anynone know how many miles it takes to clear the condition?  100?  200?  Less?

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
Info so far, dealer had to contact Kymco Tech Support.   The issue is NOT listed as a recall OR tech service bulletin.

They will ship the canister and hoses, awaiting scheduling.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()