Author Topic: Whoops, when she starts to go over can stop her!  (Read 1563 times)

scooter65

• View Profile
Whoops, when she starts to go over can stop her!
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »
Made a careless mistake yesterday.  Started up a hill on a narrow road and before I knew it I was at a point of no return. I have an Xciting 500 which of course weighs about 500lbs. Well I stopped and tried to make a slow left to head back down the hill and you quessed it, trying to turn that 500lbs heading down hill didn't work, down she went. Fortunately I was able to jump off so I was't hurt. There I was standing, thinking what a dumb thing I had tried to do. I was pretty far up this little road but there were houses farther up so I wasn't without hope. As I tried to pick my scoot up it just slid a little bit and off course grinding off some of my nice red paint. I though how in the world would I be able to get my bike upright again. Just then I saw a car coming up the road and I thought great but it's probably a women alone. Much to my amazement 4 big strong young guys jumped out and whala the bike was up. I knew there would be some pretty bad scratches and yes there were. Sadly this was the 2nd time my bike had been down.  The 1st was a few months ago when I parked it but didn't check to make sure it was secure. Came out of the store and there she was laying down. Fortunely this time as well there were folks to help me upright her! Like the 1st time I got out my red touch up paint and a red felt pen and did some cosmetic work. Turned out ok considering the severity of the scratches and scrapes. Boy did I feel dumb, but thankfully things did turn out OK!!

blue

• View Profile
Re: Whoops, when she starts to go over can stop her!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:49:58 AM »
my rule of rideing is dont ride anything I cant pick back up if it falls over or have any proleme balanceing.
go smaller and ride safe.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 01:58:33 AM »
Spot on blue, if you can't pick it up, you shouldn't be riding it.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:12:00 AM »
That was the rule I insisted upon with my first ex wife , apparently one of the many reasons I am now single . Good luck .

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:27:07 AM »
Glad you're ok scooter65.  I'm always sad to hear someone's nice Xciting got scuffed up, though.  I suppose being on that hill would make it harder to pick up than on a level road. I do see what a mess you were in. 

Mine fell over in wet grass once.  Thank goodness it wasn't scratched!  It had an oil burning smell to the exaust for months afterward that finally went away.

Zorce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 02:06:52 AM »
That was the rule I insisted upon with my first ex wife , apparently one of the many reasons I am now single . Good luck .

Haha nice!
2007 Kymco Xciting 500
1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »
Scooter65, next time you drop it try this.  Turn around and back up to the downed scoot, grab the lower handlebar grip (depending on which side you are down on) and the passenger grab rail that is lowest and put your butt in the seat.  Now pull up on the bar and grab rail while you push with your legs (let your legs do the work) and push the the scoot right up. Be careful not to go too far and go over the other way.  If you are down on the left side take a foot and flip down the kickstand.  If you are down on the right, put the kickstand down before you try to pick it up.  Using this method I can easily pick up my 800 pound Goldwing and have seen a 100 pound woman pick up a Goldwing this way as well.  A 470 pound scooter should be no problem.

Only problem I have had was one time I dropped my 750 Honda K model in my front yard and the grass was wet...  I can still see the neighbors laughing as I would almost get it up before my feet would start to slide and I would slowly slide down till my butt and the bike was on the ground...  I finally got my heels dug in on the soft ground and got it up.  Try to stay off the wet grass...  ;D
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()