Author Topic: kick start  (Read 7166 times)

blue

• View Profile
kick start
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
mmmm bike was to cold to start after work today and the kick start almost didnot do it.it not working that good anyone ever have bad time with kick start.

bmcafee

• View Profile
Re: kick start
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »
Hey blue,
 I have had problems with this myself. What exactly is it doing? I had an isue with the gear that comes into contact with the drive face it should have splines that cause it to come forward when rotated with half moon gear but if there are and chips or other damage to these teath then it will slip and not work properly. I would check this first.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:34:15 AM »
Everything looks good its just stiff and hard to kick over.almost like it needs oil or grease on it.But I was always told not to put eather on it because it might get on the drive belt.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: whoops, when she starts to go over can stop her!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:34:53 AM »
Give it a good clean, get all tgpe built up dust out of all the teeth. Clean the shaft that the gear runs on. You can use a little grease, sparingly. The grease does catch the dust, but with regular cleaning, it should be good.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »
When i had a problem with my elec start i would have to kick it 10 plus times before it would start, after a few days i found that giving it 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the throttle at the same time made it start first kick, i know this can be akward leaning over scoot to turn throttle and kicking the same time....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »
Like I always say a clean scoot is a happy scoot.took the kick start off gave it a darn good cleaning and it works bretty good now.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:17 AM »
I have to order another crank case cover.  The gasket is fine and the kick start mechanism looks fine, but I broke the metal casting that holds the actual thing that starts the motor.  I was stroking it down pretty hard and it was cold out and electric wouldn't start it, weak battery (later to find out plugged jet) and all of a sudden, there was no connection.  Pulled open the crank case and had a crack in the metal casting.  Sucks.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 03:14:47 AM »
if you have all the peaces   JBweld well work.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:44:18 AM »
I thought about maybe being able to weld, but I would have to squezze the crack back together.  The problem is that the half moon thing makes contact, but what it makes contact with is able to move without it's teeth catching and just pushes it to the side.  I have thought about rigging it in some fashion as to jerry weld it and then stick maybe a toothpick in to make up for the extra space, but I don't want to risk not having a kick start when I need it.

I will take a picture if I remember in the next couple of weeks and post it.  I have some variator sliders on order at my local scoot shop so I will be opening it up again here soon. 

thanks though

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »
well if you have teeth broken off its better to get new .because you might brake more then what you want to brake.

spidrgr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
I took the cover off my people 50 4t. I believe all 50 cc kymco trannys are built the same way. From what I saw in there, the kickstarter mechanism seems quite fragile and seems to be designed to be used occasionnally only. Also, if you look at it properly, you will notice that the halfmoon gear is quite small, compared to the gear on the variator. This means that a full swing of the kickstarter will only rotate the engine 1/6 or maybe 1/4 of a revolution. Remember, a 4 stroke engine must go two revolutions for a complete cycle. So, I believe it is normal to go through many kicks before getting the engine started. Dont go crazy about it, just keep on gently kicking it with the throttlr slightly opened till its starts.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
for some reason my scoot startes great with one kick. then after it worms up and if It shots down and I have to kick start again it well not kick over I have to use the elc. start. (Weird) when its cold and I start it the frist time the kick works after that it well not.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »
So I ordered a new variator cover/CVT Cover or what ever that cover is called that goes over the belt and variator.  It all started with a few posts back where I mentioned I had cracked the metal casting while trying to kick start it one cold day. 

Day 1: Using my old parts (kick start parts) I put them in the new cover, I have tension on the half moon and it makes contact and rotates great.  I put it on and now my electric start is having trouble starting her up and when I put it on originally, one kick and it started.  Now that I have kick started it, my electric start is working hard or not even working.

Day 2:  one kick turned into 7 and electric start won't turn it.  Once started with kick, I go to work.  It sits for 9 hours and electric start won't turn it over and then took a lot of kicks to get it going, barely.

Got it home, let it sit and went to try it again.  I kicked it start and I heard a metal bumping noise.  I turn it off, and start it (hard) with the electric.  Same noise.  I take off cover and took out the contact spindle? that connects to the half moon.  Cover back on and it my electric start was hard, turned it off and waited a minute and electric start fired it right up.

Okay, now the questions :)  I appreciate any help.

I ordered it from my Scooter Shop and it appears to be an exact copy except for some extra markings on the inside that bear no weight on its function.  All screw holes line up and all is good.  I did not wind the spring anymore than just giving it some tension which it already has once you line the moon up to the correct position to gear (spindle).  Looking at the teeth on the moon and the gear, it just shows normal wear and there are no major chips (light scratches only) and the same for the moon. 

I had to go buy a new retention ring that holds the jump start to the outside ($0.60, no big deal), there is a small amount of play (minimal), but I never paid attention to know if it was there before this.  Would having the wrong size retention ring (regarding thickness) cause any problems?

I just need advice if I have overlooked something.  Just trying to get my scoot ready for the winter.  I know a lot of text with few questions, but I just wanted to be detailed as could be so that you can picture what I am looking at.  I could take pictures if needed, but I don't have a way to record sound.  Low tech over here.  >:(

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »
looks you and me are in the same boat Greagle. Im haveing some what the problem. I did have to replace most of the red wire that comes from the battery to were it conects to the elc. starter because it was all burned up.I beleave it just got dirty and rusty and was not working good.now im just
waiting to get a new battery or kick start gears what ever come frist.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »
Time to clean my carb again next Tuesday, will check the wires.  Just seems weird that all of a sudden I have a problem with just installing a new cover.  Will post what I find here.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()