Author Topic: kick start  (Read 7168 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: kick start
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »
Did you install a new cvt cover gasket? That is important in spacing the gear correctly. You MAY need two. Cases do differ. Also you have to grease the jump start shaft before installing it. Finally the spring needs on full wind around to be tensioned properly. That should set it straight.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »
Like Zombie said, i sounds like maybe the new cover is maybe not exactly the same depth and the kick start mech is not connecting/dis onnecting properly to me. If it was maybe a few mm deeper or the gaskets were different or missing then the starter bendix for the elec starter would not sit correctly either.

It could also just be pure co-incidence and not be related to the cover but is maybe some other issue. Sounds like the cover or set-up of the engagememt of the starter gear tho.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I didn't install a new cover gasket, I looked at my old one and it looked alright not damaged and still has its shape.  I was afraid of that, it being a little to shallow.  On tuesday, I will be cleaning the carb and changing gear and motor oil, and replacing roller weights, while I have it off I will lay the two cases beside each other and see if I can tell a difference, will rig something measure it. 

I didn't grease the cogs, but hit it with a quick squirt of WD40 and I didn't realize I need to rotate the spring one more revolution, I started to, but didn't see a good way to do it and the spring was coiling up under the cog when I did try and got it about half way, that is why I figured it didn't need.  The kickstart, comes back up without hesitation as it is right now.  but if the tension is critical then will give her another spin. 

I will try to remember to take some pics on Tuesday, thanks for the advice, will post here what I find. 

As I had posted, I took the spindle out so that it wouldn't make contact, but this morning my electric start wouldn't do anything and my headlight wouldn't even come on like it normally does when starting.  That battery is only 6 months or so and I got a good one, not a cheap one.  I put the charger on it and it still never turned over, I had to take off cover and put the spindle back in to kick it, so that I could get to work. 

Thanks again for the thoughts.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
If the battery keeps losing charge it could well be the volt regulator/rectifier is faulty or on its way out, happened to my A50 last year. Battery would only keep charged enough to start for 4-5 days, less if i used my lights tho.

If the covers measure the same then it may well be you installed something a little off or mis-fitted something somewhere and thats causing the issue? May be worth stripping it all out and refitting it again just in case if you have time, a pain i know but at least it will rule that out. Seems weird that both elec start and kick start are now not right tho, that to me would suggest the casing rather than mjs-fitted components ???

Chaos is my co-pilot.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 01:55:41 AM »
I said I would post after doing some trouble seeking, I meant to work on the scoot and ended up building a corn hole set and started building a computer desk, plans are to do this next Tuesday, will post then.

Just testing out the picture posting options

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 03:53:36 AM »
Nice work! Whats that triangle thingy for? ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
Whats a corn hole set?

Seriously, i never heard of it  ???
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
Whats a corn hole set?

Seriously, i never heard of it  ???

its a bean bag game you play like horse shoes..................

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:04 PM »
Nice work! Whats that triangle thingy for? ;D

It's just a framing square to make sure you have 90 degree angles and yep, Corn Hole is just a bean bag type game, popular with the college kids during football season when you have cold beer and a lot of people over :)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
its a bean bag game you play like horse shoes..................

Cool.

How you going to finish the desk surfaces greagle? Paint? Varnish?

I made one as my Craft & Design school project from mahogany and pine,  a long time ago ( i had a ZX Spectrum 128k and b&w monitor!), got a grade 1 pass for it  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
well i still have a 128 spectrum lol with tape

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »
well i still have a 128 spectrum lol with tape

Yes, with tape, and small screwdriver to adjust the tape head to try get it to load copied games, which it rarely did untill about the 50,000th attempt  :D

Daley Thompsons Decathalon, Paperboy, Manic Miner, Frogger, Skool Daze, Lotus Esprit, Jet Set Willy, they dont make em like that anymore  :D

A mate game me an emulator and a load of games a few yrs ago, took me back to being 11/12yr old all over again  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
you forgot the dizzy collection. best games ever

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »
Now i need to go dig out that cd  :D