Author Topic: I have ordered a Givi windshield. Any advice?  (Read 3894 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
I have ordered a Givi windshield. Any advice?
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
I should have it in 10 days or so.  I wanted to try to extend my riding more into the cold season.  I have read that some "fitting" may be necessary?  What do you guys who have them say?  It's going on my '07 Xciting 500.

I may try to put it in the lower of the two positions. 

As far as the mirrors bumping it -- can I just loosen my mirrors and swing them backward a little?

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: I have ordered a Givi windshield. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »
I have a 2007 also. It fits right on to the stock position. The mirror stems fit right up inside the windshield cut outs perfectly. 10 minute job if you have even half a brain. So easy even a sissy mary could do it! You will love it. It sets very high or tall. I think they made it this way to give a passenger ample wind protection., and it does. You can not see over it. If it rains real hard, sometimes I have to look around it to see very well. Tried rain x and it does not work on this type of plastic, only glass I guess? I read somewhere that if you use a certain brand of wax or polish, the rain runs right off of it? Don't remember the brand. :-*

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
NuFinish
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
Thanks, it's one of those things that is right on the tip of your tounge, but can't remember it. :-*

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
I will second what sissy said.  Had my Givi installed at the dealer before I even took it home.  Love it.  Mirrors are not a problem if adjusted properly. Sometimes they bump when turning very tight as in parking, but not really an issue.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
It does not hit my mirrors, maybe because mine are after market. I had to change them as my left mirror kept twisting down do to wind & or when I hit a hard bump. There was no way I could see to tighten up the stem/post. It really twisted back when I was doing things like drag racing (& beating) Harley's. Doing wheelies, out running the police on their beemers, beating Hyabusa's in top speed run's, cruising interstate 10 to LA from Phoenix (400 miles), in under 2 hours. You know, normal day to day stuff that an X500 owner does! :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 01:25:50 AM »
Right, Sissy.  ::)  Yep, sounds like normal stuff to me.   Yes, one of my mirrors does that too and no, I see no way to tighten that part up.  What kind of mirrors did you get? 

I'm REALLY liking the Givi ! ! !   Funny thing -- I installed it outside the shed where I keep the scooter.  Rolling her back in, I realized there is about 1/8 inch to spare going under the door.   :o  It's a good thing I did install it in the lower position! 

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »
I don't remember the exact brand name? They were just cheap after market stuff that a Kymco dealer in Prescott Az had hanging on his wall. They are chrome, not black plastic like the originals. I think the mirrors were from a company called EMGO, or something like that. They make alot of after market stuff, and fairly cheap. Quality is not bad either. :-*

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
I wanted to try to extend my riding more into the cold season.

A "stock" clear windshield (not the greyish shield), either a full face helmet or a 3/4 with neoprene mask, gloves and snow suit will work for riding at least an hour in the 30's.
Rick

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
rick71, you are a much tougher man than me!  ;)  My hands would be frozen numb!  Granted, I am a skinny person.  I weigh about the same as Michael Jackson. :D  I put on a set of the heated grips (Oxford Hot Hands) a week ago.  They work well but I still get a few numb fingertips even in 40's degree riding for 30 minutes!  Now that's not bad enough to stop me from riding and I keep the rest of me comfortable with layers of clothing so all is ok so far.  The Givi definately helps with the hands.

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »
Now, I am a lightweight when it comes to cold weather riding... 55 or below keeps me off the bike!  :D
With that said, I still would like the wind protection for riding in Arizona's 100º + summer heat.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:47:58 AM »
I don't know how much rain you get in Arizona.  I've pretty much decided I'm going to cut at least 2 and a half inches off the top of the Givi.  To let the wind get to my face shield during riding in the rain.  I rode in rain once since getting the Givi and didn't like the rain drops just sitting on my face shield.  Also I prefer to look ahead at the road through only one piece of shielding -- that being my face shield. 

If I had it mounted in the higher position I would cut more like 4 and a half inches off. 

I'm not sure I understand your thoughts about the windshield in the heat.  Wouldn't one want LESS protection in the heat?  I know when it gets over 100 here in the summer I'll take any wind I can get!

By the way, Givi's instructions say not to let it be exposed to much sunlight at all because it could warp!   I read that and said, HUH?  Well great!  Thanks for telling us. . .   

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:55:26 AM »
We get about 6 days of rain! But really, the issue is my intolerance for wind. Even with my sunglasses, my eyes water from the wind. When it's over 90º wearing a helmet (Black in my case) makes for miserable riding. Of course, I would never go interstate without it. So aside from that, even too much wind, any wind at 100º and over feels like a blistering hairdryer. No humidity, but still uncomfortable for this ex-NY'er! Too much dry wind will dehydrate you too out here.
Simon

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:38 AM »
Lived in Arizona for over 30 years. You have to block wind as it is like riding in a blast furnace, and will bake the water from your body. You swet like heck, but it is so dry you dry off in an instant, but because your skin feels dry, you don't think your losing water.  You dehydrate, pass out and die, or die of heat stroke. I can not tell you how many times I have seen the Harley idiots (with their black shirts on), vomiting on the side of the road, or at a gas station with a gardin hose pooring water on their heads as they are about to pass out from heat stroke. I friend of mine once said. Riding in Arizona is like parashooting through hell. :-*

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 03:35:56 AM »
So I looked into the Cee Bailey company for a windscreen. (California company)  They don't offer one for the x500, but an email to them suggested that if I sent mine to them, they could fabricate one. Haven't made up my mind yet...
Simon

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()