Author Topic: Tire recommendations for GV?  (Read 4373 times)

catman2130093

• View Profile
Tire recommendations for GV?
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
 Hi folks-It's time for a new rear tire for sure-and as it's 09 model,I'll also replace the front. bike has 6100 miles on it. Does anyone have recommendations as to brand/model?   I weigh 220,and most of my riding is in the 60 mph range (67 indicated). I live in the boonies,and on a US 2 lane hwy,so most trips are 80 miles or so. Thanks!!

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Tire recommendations for GV?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
Urbestfriend just had his rear tire replaced with a Michelin.
Think everthing together was around a $100.00.   The next cheaper
brand was around $15.00 less.  My local tire shop is just down the
road and I really didn't a big choice,  but their main business
is trucks and cars,  but they'll support any bike,  lawn tractor,  you
name it.    Scooter tire rubber is a lower durometer which gives
better traction,  but wears faster also.   The big mistake is over-
inflation which makes the ride harder and more squirrely.

I did buy Michelin for the name,  but if you buy any advertised brand
you're probably ahead.

yahooie

• 2006 Grand Vista
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
I drive about the same distance 5 days a week to work down in south Florida. I purchased the Michelin pilot sport and had it mounted at the end of July. I need a new tire and got about 3000-4500 miles out of it. I was referred to a higher mileage tire made by Hidenau which I just purchased from www.moto-amore.com.  Cost with shipping was $90.00. I am told it is a harder rubber and I should get around 10k miles out of it.  I bout the K61 which isn't necessarily the best for rain as it doesn't have deep tread pattern on it but that doesnt matter down here as it is dry in the winter. They make a tire K58 I think that has a deep tread which is much better for wet weather.  I will know more in 6 months.  Good luck
2006 Blue Grand Vista 250

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
Yahooie,I have been disappointed with Michelins on my motorhome-I have Coopers on it now,and am deliriously happy with them-and they are American made too. My scooter shop put a Kendra rear tire on my GV today-3/14/12 with 6100 miles on the bike. It's supposedly a harder compound and better wearing. I'll keep everyone posted.  Here in NW Florida,we get cloudbursts brought on by the seabreeze. The tire has some deep grooves,I'll let you all know how it performs in the wet too.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
The Kenda's on my PEOPLE 250 are lasting a very long time.  I'm not excited about their road holding capabilities however and plan to try another brand when they finally wear out.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:17:30 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts on the Kenda-there's been no rain since the installation,and it seems good at highway speed in the dry. It does have grooves that wrap around onto the sidewalls,but I'll be extra cautious when on wet streets until I suss out the traction.

Buck40

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Kendas, gregspeople250.  I put on some Michelin Pilot Sports about 3k miles ago and the rear is showing wear.  the front looks good yet.  I will probably get these again unless I hear of something better.  These tires really stick to the road.  I had a couple of slippery moments with the stock tires but those were already five years old when I got the scooter.  I worry more about performance than longevity.
Grand Vista 250

sic transit gloria

Doug9678

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »
I am going to try Michelins after the stock Maxxis tires wear out - report back later .....
2009 GrandVista 249cc
Amsoil 10w-40
Iridium Plug

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
I now have 2000 miles on the Kenda rear tire,and been caught several times in the rain,light misty to full on frog strangler. It's not showing any wear, and I am quite happy with the roadholding.  :)

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »
I have Pirelli GTS24 (140/70-12) on the rear and Pirelli SL26 (120/70-12) on the front wheel. The rear tire is quite used and i'm looking forward to change-it in to a Michelin M/C pilot...

catman2130093

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
Since my last post.I've had a Shinko and worn it out too-5k miles.   I have found a dual compound Michelin Pilot Pure SC and will try that one as soon as it arrives in the mail. The harder compound is in the middle,where my riding style needs it. Most of my rides are on a two lane blacktop at highway speeds,lots of flat and straightaway riding. The Shinko on the rear now was new just before Thanksgiving 2012. Seems every 6 months I have to replace a tire.  Seems ridiculous,and it's a pain to deal with so often. I live in the boonies,and my scooter shop is 90 miles away.

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
I had a set of the Michelin Sport City tires put on a couple of months ago at about 5400 miles and have noticed a huge improvement over the original tires. I'm much more confident in leaning into the corners because they grip so well and feel like there's no way they're going to break loose.

In my head I'm one of those motorcycle racers leaned over at an extreme angle and almost dragging one knee on the pavement, but then I remember that I'm just a guy on a scooter  ;D But I have drug both sides of the center stand a couple of times.

I don't know about the tread life, but I sure like the grip.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 07:59:42 AM »

I don't know about the tread life, but I sure like the grip.

Some scooter tires has a tread indicator that tells you your tread has gotten too low... If you don't have this indicator on your tire you can use a penny to measure your tread (I'm serious)... With the penny upside down, place it in the divot in your tread... If all of Mr. Lincoln's hair is showing, you need new tires...   ;)  because that's less than 1mm of tread left...

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 02:30:57 AM »
The Kenda's on my PEOPLE 250 are lasting a very long time.  I'm not excited about their road holding capabilities however and plan to try another brand when they finally wear out.

There is always a trade off between performance and longevity.  The Michelines are excellent performers but wear out quickly.  You have to make the choice what style of routes you ride, and if in rain.  A hard tire in rain can cost you your life or major injuries, just because you want to get more miles out of it....  really worth it?

Tire change: As a tip to some of you above who put many miles on the scoot per year, learn how to take the wheel off and on the scooter.  I'd recommend one investment of an impact wrench (e.g. Harbor Freight about $40). And, if you take it now to a shop where you can buy a tire, or bring one with you, you saved yourself about $30 each time of a tire change. I have ALWAYS one set tires in spare, because a "hole" is not wise to plug or even patch.  Just my 2 cents worth.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()