Author Topic: Potential new owner DT300i  (Read 3562 times)

Lanyu

• View Profile
Potential new owner DT300i
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
Hi all I'm considering the purchase of the DT300i I've been to have a look at one and was impressed by the looks and size of the bike  8) there was however a few things that I didn't like and just wanted to know if anyone has modified there's?

1.Plastic around steering looked tacky compared to Jap scooters and I wondered if anyone had changed it or the bar to a standard 7/8 which would also make it easier to mount mobile,gps etc.

2.Has anyone had the seat re-upholstered and have any pic's as I'm thinking I'm going to possibly have to have backrest moved back 4" as I'm tall and have big feet and have no room to move whatsoever.

Ok well I look forward to some replies  :)

open shadows

• View Profile
Re: Potential new owner DT300i
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
I have had a DT300i for about 2 months now.  I can't help you with the plastic around the steering as it doesn't bother me.  I am 6 ft and 240 lbs so the seating is a little close for me but I have adjusted to it.  Most of my rides are two hours or less and comfortable.  I did check into reshaping the seat with Pirate upholstery and this was their response:

"Thanks for thinking of Pirate Upholstery for this project.  With your model scooter, we are not able to extend the rider’s area due to seat pan limitations.  The only way around this is to raise the rider’s area significantly and cut into the seat pan.  Cutting into the seat pan does infringe on storage space and you would not be able to fit a XXL helmet under the seat.  It will also change the handling of the bike as the seat height will be raised, and we’d only suggest it for taller riders. If you’d like to proceed, please let us know your height and weight so that we can make recommendations for alterations."

If the seating really bothers you and you are taller than I am, you might check into this with someone who is familiar with this scoot.  As Pirate noted, it is possible but requires greater seat height and will reduce under seat storage.

Otherwise, this is the perfect bike for me.  Good acceleration, storage, handling, and very stable at highway speeds (65-70).  Even with my weight, top speed is 80 plus.  I added a Shad SH45 top case and I can put two helmets in it, my wife's medium 3/4 and my Scorpion 900 XXL Transformer which is enormous.  The Scorpion will fit under the seat also but not both..  I am a photographer and I can store a full sized tripod and my gear under the seat. Economy has been very good, 60+ mpg.  I expect that once it is broken in it will get at least mid 60 mpg.

We haven't ridden it two up yet so I can't report on that but I will be surprised if it doesn't do reasonably well there but not probably for extended touring which is unlikely for us anyway.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike

Lanyu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
Thanks Mike

I'm glad you let me know I just assumed that it could be done without to much hassle. If they have to raise the seat that also means the windscreen becomes less effect  :(

I have 36" legs and size 12UK feet and when I sat on it at dealers I remember thinking I can't sit like this for to long. I guess the only solution would be to dangle my legs of the side from time to time to stretch them.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
as per open shadow... same for me....as re the seat....i am ok with it(fit wise)...i have  fashioned a sheep skin cover for(from an old winter coat) it which adds a bit of  cushion /comfort.....

frankly the two issues you mentioned would not prevent me from buying the scooter...but to each his own,,,,,,,the micro netting that covers the seat...will actually prevent the cover from eventually splitting or pealing...with use...as is the case with my other scooter....the friction from getting on and off the scooter (plus weathering)....will do this,,,,good luck with your purchase....

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »
I am 6' 1", 250 and didn't think I would get used to the seat and thought about getting it redone until I looked it over and the pan put a halt to that idea. As one on this Forum suggest though, the more you ride, you get used to it more and more and he was right. Little by little I am making it more tolerable. I had 3 years apprenticeship in upholstery at that and was disappointed in not being able to modify. Now if I can only figure out how to put winter tires and chains on for PA winters!!

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:51:53 AM »
I am 6' 1", 250 and didn't think I would get used to the seat and thought about getting it redone until I looked it over and the pan put a halt to that idea. As one on this Forum suggest though, the more you ride, you get used to it more and more and he was right. Little by little I am making it more tolerable. I had 3 years apprenticeship in upholstery at that and was disappointed in not being able to modify. Now if I can only figure out how to put winter tires and chains on for PA winters!!
I am 6'2, 212 and have no problem with the seat. I did add an air cushion for a long trip coming up. Chains no chancy but you may find studded tires. I have seen some but not sure of size. I won't ride in the winter.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

lvautier

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
I am not sure if you are still looking for replies at this time but I wanted to add my 2 cents.  I am a 6' woman with a 36" inseam and I will not mention my weight but it is less that everyone who has posted on this thread.  I think the leg length is the biggest fact with this bike. I have not taken it for a ride longer than 2 hours to this point so I am not sure how it would feel but I am comfortable for the most part.  There are times that I do feel a little tight and there is a lack of places to put my feet to change positions.  I will also tell you that the bigger bike, the Xciting, you wouldn't even be able to ride.  I sat on it and turned the handlebars and they bumped into my knees.

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Someone has altered the seat http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8155.15 I'm thinking of it too. I think coming up an tiny bit and back a few inches would go along way. Yes, I know I'd loose part of the under seat storage, but I use that for body armor storage and we have helmet locks, so I'm not that worried. Adding a cushion adds some to the comfort. I've done a multi day ride on it, not too bad, but the lack of leg room still bugs me.

scootermax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
i have a 2012 Downtown and also found the seating to be a little short. Not being able to sorta stretch out was causing hip joint
 pain(nearly66 yrs old) removed staples and pulled seat cover from the rear towards front. pulled up foam for access and cut the full dome out of the seat pan. cut off the foam for the butt stop close to level with the passenger portion. Restapled the seat cover in place. have some extra seat fabric now but it crushes down pretty well. now i can move back approx. 3 inches and have stretch the legs out . just be careful stopping because you're sitting a little higher by moving back and the ground is a litlle farther away, but i usually shift forward when stopping. it has increased the comfort level when riding. i am just a tad under 6 feet and 220 lbs. With the seat dome out it gives u a place for the butt to settle in. may try to rework the seat cover later for a better fit but it doesnt bother me with the excess fabric. Son-in-law reworks  motorcycle seats on the side , so may have him to take a look at tightening the fabric.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Potential new owner DT300i new seat
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:15:52 AM »
  I am trying new seat rode 160 miles today, not to bad , but just a little preasure on tail bone , i didnt remove enough of the original foam , off of the seat back , the saddle shape, so I will remove it flat, and use upholstlery foam, not the foam I had in the garage,. too soft,. the original foam in the seat is firm, cant mix it,   nice ride today even if was 33 degrees F.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
Do you know where to get firmer foam? I mess around with bikes a lot and
am always looking to mod the seats but the only foam I can find is way too soft!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Potential new owner DT300i foam supply
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 03:53:46 AM »
   I will call my upholstering shop monday for his type and supply of foam, for motor cycle seats,.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()