Author Topic: Has anyone removed engine from 2003 ZX-50  (Read 1410 times)

usnapop

• View Profile
Has anyone removed engine from 2003 ZX-50
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »
Has anyone removed the engine from a ZX 50? Found out crankshaft is broken, so I need to remove engine.
I pulled the flywheel and Variator/belt etc.. to find out crankshaft is bad so hoepfully I think I can do it.  I also bought a flywheel puller and impact wrench so I have some money into it already.
Just wondering how bad it is to remove engine and get crankshaft out and replace.

Little history: Crankshaft will turn when rotated manually about 1/4 turn on variator side of engine before crank starts turning on Flywheel side. Makes awful noise when started and barley runs so evidently crank is broken on variator side of crank allowing engine to still run. When it was all together it would barely turn back wheel when on center stand.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:01:50 AM by usnapop »

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone removed engine from 2003 ZX-50
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
It is not a hard job, if you have the manual, it will have a detailed description of the removal. Is a pity that your crank is broken, these are supposed to have a good strong bottom end, crank failures are turning into a common thing with Kymcos. Have you priced a genuine one yet? If you do, can you let us know how much for a genuine one? You can buy aftermarket ones. The hardest part about replacing the crank is getting the correct sleeves to reassemble the cases, but if you are handy, with a bit of patience and looking around, you can usually find what you need, I was unable to get the correct tools for this job, so just made do. Good luck with it and keep us up to date with how you go. just remember, if looking for an after market one, don't forget to look for Honda Dio as well. Parts for the Dio AF18E engine will fit the ZX50, that goes for cylinders, cranks, carbs and inlets, though I have heard that the final drive gears are different.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()