Author Topic: New DT300i in the garage What do you now?  (Read 4510 times)

bobofgsm

• View Profile
New DT300i in the garage What do you now?
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:17:53 AM »
I just had my new 2011 Downtown 300i delivered to my garage. I will be sitting there with 1 mile on it for the next 120 to 150 day. This is upstate New York and lake effect snow starts tomorrow(I am NOT making this up). What should I be doing to keep the bike fresh all winter? I would appreciate any advice. The garage is unheated. There is melt water from the cars on the floor some times. Plus with any luck it will only hit 30 below once or twice this winter.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: New DT300i in the garage What do you now?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
What would a dealership do about it if you haven't bought it?
Absolutely nothing.

Cover it up, might wanna get a battery tender hooked up and make sure it doesn't sit on the same
patches of tires all the time, roll it around from time to time.

DO NOT start it up if you're not going to ride it.
The 2-3 minute warm-ups in the garage do more harm then good to the battery and the rest of the bike.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:25:52 PM »
I would put Staybil or Sea foam in the (full tank) of gas to keep it from going bad. Put it on the center stand to take pressure off of the tires. I would start it at least once a month or more and let it run until the radiator fan comes on. This will keep all parts in operational order. Engine, water pump, oil pump, fan and so on. This will also keep the fuel system (injectors) clean, and keep them from getting clogged/varnished up. A battery can lose about 1% of it's charge per day when hooked up to the battery leads/wires, so a battery tender is a good move. Make sure battery is fully charged before turning on tender, as the tender will maintain the battery at the level it is at, at that time. This way the bike will be ready to roll come spring. Air up tires, fill up at gas station and hit the road daddy ow.:-*

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »
This seems like a good article:
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.html

..but really.. I just fill up with gas and cover it up, had no issues with the bike (my Kawasaki) other then
battery going dead on the 3rd winter, but I didn't have the tender, and I didn't disconnect it from the bike.
It was in a garage that doesn't go under freezing temps.

I don't have those issues with my Agility though.. since I ride it even when it snows..  ;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:50:31 PM »
Because the temperature will get cold enough to freeze a low-charged battery, you will need to remove the battery to a heated location
or insure that it is fully charged (hooked up to a battery tender at least monthly). 

Sta-Bil or other gasoline stabiliser in a full tank is mandatory. 
Be sure to run the engine to bring stabilized gas to the carb before final shut down.

Putting the scooter on the center stand is good, moving the scooter weekly to keep the tires round is good.

Running the engine is not necessary and if the temperature is -30, might be difficult to start the engine.

Keeping the scooter dry is good, but a cover may trap moisture under it if the cover is not made of breatheable material.
A waxing may be better than a cover.  Many cover with an old sheet to keep the dust off.

Praying for an early Spring is useful.  Shopping for safety clothing is also a good use of time.

Merry Christmas and Happy Scooting (in the Spring)

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
Be sure to run the engine to bring stabilized gas to the carb before final shut down.

;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

bobofgsm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice. I am putting a old sheet over it. I Stable  in  already in the gas. I will be pulling the battery and storing in the a warm place (Do you think the wife will notice it in the china cabinet?) An plan to charge in monthly.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice. I am putting a old sheet over it. I Stable  in  already in the gas. I will be pulling the battery and storing in the a warm place (Do you think the wife will notice it in the china cabinet?) An plan to charge in monthly.

Um, the battery would rather be at 10°C then at 25+, so you might wanna take that into account,
put it in room without direct heating, maybe a spare room, storage, whatever.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Treynor1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
Do as the others have mentioned.  I would recommend spraying all chrome parts with WD-40 to prevent effects of too much humidity.  It is also a good idea to stuff a small cloth in the muffler to keep that dry.  (just don't forget it is there when you go to start it up). A really good wax job now will make it easier to clean up in the spring.

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »
I put the front fork on a block of 4x4 that I had lying around gets the front tire of the floor; so no need to worry of flattening the front tire.
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

bobofgsm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:27 AM »
Thanks everybody. I warmed up on Sunday, the odo now reads 3  mi.( It even exceeded my imagination)  I have order a Battery Tender and have placed it in its winter nest in the garage. See y'all in the spring.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
all good advice as i also have the dt...and this will be my first winter with it...not as cold where i am in jersey( weather is a bit bit milder than usual) but we no doubt will get a least a few teens and single digit days....in your situation i would definitely pull the battery.....i know what you are talking about re up=state ny....i had a place in the fingerlakes- montour falls).....the cold and the snow fall amounts were incredible.....

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
forgot all about this thread.....cortez.....that was pretty funny.....

bobofgsm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 03:32:14 AM »
I have it framed on my desk!

BOBOFGSM

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()