Author Topic: PIAA Light  (Read 3495 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
PIAA Light
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
I want to install a new head light in my 07 X500. What are the steps to do do this? Is it very hard to do?  :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: PIAA Light
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
It's not TOO difficult.  But you'll be fumbling and cursing while trying to hold the front fairing in one arm while getting your other arm inside to disconnect the headlight connector and pop out the turn signals.  You can let the fairing rest on the front fender and try to stabilize it with your knees or something.  The turn signal bulbs come loose by turning counter-clockwise a half turn or so. They have rubber O-rings which might fall off so watch for them. Their wiring is loosely in little hooks from which it will come right out.  No need to unplug their connectors.

I lay a towel over the front fender to keep from scratching it -- push it through the front forks to make sure it stays in place.

Fairing comes loose by screws starting up near the instruments on each side and there's 3 or 4 more going down the edge of the black plastic till you get to the place where it meets the side skirts.  There's one screw front middle right above the horn opening.  Once they're all out it might start to drop or you might have to jiggle and tug. 

Headlight bulb has a retainer which is held by a screw or two.

Edit:  Disregard all of this!  See below! 

Going back on with the fairing, you have to get all the little alignment tabs lined up and going in properly.  usually takes me a lot of struggling but, again, not TOO bad.  :-) 

By the way, can you briefly tell me what a PIAA light is? 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:55:00 PM by Hoolander2 »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »
Thanks. PIAA seem to have the brightest bulbs, but after reading some reviews , they seem to last only about a year. The Sylvania bulbs only seem to last about 4 months or so? The more powerful the bulb, the shorter time frame they last! I guess I will have to take a middle road on the bulbs to get the best of both worlds? The ones I was looking at had the power of a 110 watt bulb, but taking only the normal power of a stock bulb, about 55 Low, 60 High. I may just get a little more powerfull bulb that will last longer than the super power bulbs, as I do not want to try to change a bulb at midnight, in the middle of no-where. And 1,000 miles from home.  :-*

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »
You might try HID BiXenon cost more but lasts about 3000 hours. Much brighter but still only 35 watt. I have them on all of my vehicles. 2 trucks and 2 scooters.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »
you can change the bulb without rem0ving them plastics, will take less than 3mins... Less then a minute when your used to it.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
Ah ha!  Was wondering if that were possible.  Great!  ;)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
OK, drifter, HOW?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »
Yes how? Me got's to know?  :-*

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:43:14 PM »
You have a 300i. X500's use an H4 @ 55 & 60 watts, not 35? Do they make an H4 bulb for us po-folks with the old X500's?  :-*

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »
n0t good on explaining things. Will take a video n0w and upload it on youtube.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
can't post the vid here. Just search it on youtube. Kymco xciting bulb removal.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
I can't find it on u tube? Someone else had a video on it, but was done with his phone camera, and I could not understand him?

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
not sure if it was my video you saw. Sorry for my bad english. Try searching my user name. Carlozdrc. Will try to link it here via my fone if possible.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »
Sorry, I should have said I could not understand what he was doing. I saw where a big rubber ring was pulled out and then the bulb, but I could not see where the wire bulb plug-in had been. What held the bulb in? It did not look like it was the rubber piece? It may have been impossible to get the cammera close enough to see with the limited space?  :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
I watched it and then looked at the service manual again.  Indeed he is right!  Even though the manual says to take off the front fairing.  If your hands and arms aren't huge you should be able to do this. You can disregard my earler advice! I've tried and tried but can't figure out how to post pictures copied out of the service manual here.  >:(   

The rubber dust cover pulls right off.  There's a tab on it to pull by.   Then there's a bulb retainer which has to be unhooked and swung aside. (no screws as I had incorrectly stated)

I'll try to take pictures of going through the process on my spare module. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()