Author Topic: Top Cases for Super 8 150cc Question  (Read 9069 times)

teren

• View Profile
Top Cases for Super 8 150cc Question
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:46:49 AM »
I just got a 2012 Super 8 150cc in blue. My 2002 Super 9 50cc had more underseat storage, including fitting a full face helmet. The new bike has much less so I'm looking at maybe getting a top case.

On the Kymco site the Shad cases are recommended and they show a K0SP59ST Shad Mounting Kit specifically for the Super 8. Has anyone installed (or had installed) the K0SP59ST? I'm wanting to know how it fit, whether the topcase rides level or tilted, and if you did your own install, how difficult it was regarding possibly doing it myself.

In addition, any suggestions on brands, sizes, and mounting would be much appreciated.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Top Cases for Super 8 150cc Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
I put an EMGO tail trunk on mine.  I think It's the same as the one sold by J. C. Whitney.  I forget what I paid for mine but it wasn't very expensive.

Here I am Comparing it with some other tail trunks ;D

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

teren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »
Was it a direct fit onto the Super 8 luggage rack/plate or did it require modification?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »
I had to drill four holes into the luggage rack, then bolted it on.  Pretty simple.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 04:22:12 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

teren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:14:57 AM »
Thanks. And still trying to figure out why Kymco says the special mounting bracket is needed on the Super 8 luggage rack as it looks like a pretty standard and flat luggage rack.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Maybe the Kymco Top case is designed to be mounted without any drilling and requires a special mounting kit for each scooter.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

teren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »
Yep, you're right. That's what I've discovered. And the racks are specifically make for each of the different Kymco scooters to install Shad cases.

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:59:13 AM »
Go with Givi,,,cost more but a lot of benefits . Changeable trunk sizes fit same rack, resale value, sell ability! Quality!
Later
bilyum

dudley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
I have the shad 29.
It was supposed to come with the correct mounting plate for the super 8.

Had to drill 4 holes.
.??
Anyway, looks good. Just big enough for a 3/4 helmet and wallet, cell phone,...
2010 super 8 150  red/black
bought march 2011
4000 miles march 2012
dr pulley variator w/stock weights
top speed 61.5mph  gps verified

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »
The Kymco website recommends Shad but the largest box still only holds one helmet for a Super 8 150... shad makes larger as does Givi... Will these larger boxes fit? I was considering a 47L Givi to store two modular helmets (in case my wife ever goes riding with me) and bcz I do need storage.  Some of the motorcycle cases are wider, some are higher... but none are really designed for scooters.  If all I need to do is drill a few holes, that isn't a problem... but is holes the only thing I need to worry about? Am I missing something I should be considering?  I am very new to scooters and I commute to work on highways and country lanes and intend to use it for in town errands (so far its been a life saver as my wife's car immediately broke down after I bought the scooter). 

So far, I prefer the ones that offer tail light kits (visibilty), racks on top (you never know when you need that little extra space) and holds two helmets (seems to be about 46-47L minimum). Givi seems to be better made than Shad but I have only seen online pics (just read comments but it looks like the shad is softer and givi might be more difficult to break into).  I have also looked into soft "luggage" motorcycle bags but they lack the tail lights and security.  Opinions would be appreciated :D

The Rack on the Super 8 is rather small, will that hold up to a larger box safely?
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
Talking to several retailers of top cases, another brand was "Fly".  He said the cases sandwich the rack between two plates, and he implied other brands did the same.  He said the biggest issue is putting too much weight on the back of the scooter and making it off balance but otherwise I could mount a motorcycle case on the back.  I think I will be spending the money on a Givi case and figuring out the rest.  I'll post the success or resulting problems.

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »
  Forget looks, go big ! I grocery shop on my scoot and am always worried if all will fit. It usually does, but I have a cheap huge Givi (not the delux model). Don't forget you have to fit locking accessories too. You can remove it with one push of a button .
Later
bilyum

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
what size is a "huge" Givi?

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 02:57:05 AM »
Anyone have a Coocase?

http://www.coocase.com/

Includes mounting plate, Integrated LED brakelight, remote keyless unlock, and an alarm.
They have a 50L that will fit 2 helmets for $300

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6753/686/
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
Go big(large) size! That way you won't have to buy two. Makes buying groceries nice, and eventually you will buy groceries on your scoot!
Later
bilyum

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()