Author Topic: Gas Overflow  (Read 979 times)

scooter65

• View Profile
Gas Overflow
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:24:26 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I have a Kymco 2009 Xciting 500 and have been having a problem when filling up at the gas pump.  Have had the scoot for about a year now and have lately been having a gas overflow problems when filling up.  For a long time I had no problem, the pump would shut off when the tank was full.  I usually put about 2.25 gallons in for a fill up.  Then recently when filling up doing nothing different from before, the pump did not shut off and the gas overflowed before I could stop pumping.  I try to get the tank completely full so I can check the mileage.  Of course as you may know the gas bleaches out the nice black center panel below the fillup hole.  Oh by the way I use amoral to restore the nice black color but it only works so so.  Anyone got any ideas on the fillup problem and what to use on the plastic to restore the color?
Thanks, Scooter65

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Gas Overflow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:51:36 AM »
If I'm not extremely carefull filling my '07 Xciting 500, it'll overflow badly every stinkin time!  I've just learned to go as slow as the pump will allow and try to listen intently for the sound of the tank getting full.   

I don't have any idea why the problem would suddenly come up with yours.  Maybe your favorite station changed their nozzles?

I use Meguires Interior Detail, I think it's called.  Reminds me of Armour All but a little less sticky and smelly.  It will blacken my plastic back to normal pretty nicely.  sometimes takes more than one treatment.

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »
As OCD as I am, this happened to me once. First off, as everyone is watching and wondering what kind of bike it is, the gas overflows. What an embarrassing situation. I have used "Back to black" by Mothers. It only lasts for a while, but helps protect the plastic a bit. So now, I keep a 5 gallon fuel can at home that I manually fill the scooter with. Works great so long as I am not riding more than 225 miles and thereby not needing to fuel at a gas station  ;)   (Sounds Kinda fully to call the x500 a scooter, huh?! )
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
Our pump nozzles shut down early enough, if there are inserted as much as possible. I've never had problems.
Only if i try to fill the tank up to the cap, I may spill some drops.
But our gas stations provide soaped water and towels, so I can clean the plastics. Just don't let the fuel interact with the plastics for hours.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
(Sounds Kinda fully to call the x500 a scooter, huh?! )
It is a step through motorcycle.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 04:58:22 PM by fshfindr »
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
On the old Vespa's if you put the nossle all the way in the tank you can damage your fuel tap, so I am in the habit with my Kymco not to insert the nossle but insted manually pull back the nossle forskin (rubber thing on nossle maybe U.S. only) and fill up my take visually. extra work but no overflow.
scoot-on!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
only thing you can do is treat your scoot like your women go slow and easy.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()