Author Topic: Anyone try the Kymco nitrogen shock absorbers?  (Read 7459 times)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Anyone try the Kymco nitrogen shock absorbers?
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
The shock absorbers on my 09 X500Ri are comperable to mid 70's motorcycle shocks.  Has anyone tried Kymco's nitrogen shocks for the Xciting?  Has anyone fitted other aftermarket shocks?

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Anyone try the Kymco nitrogen shock absorbers?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »
The shock absorbers on my 09 X500Ri are comperable to mid 70's motorcycle shocks.  Has anyone tried Kymco's nitrogen shocks for the Xciting?  Has anyone fitted other aftermarket shocks?

Can't answer about the aftermarket shocks you asked about but you might find comfort in the fact that the Xciting
has A LOT better suspension then what my 2007 Kawasaki ER6F had (650R). While it might seem harsh at times, it
works great at keeping the tires planted and you safe, and is a lot better then having the bike wallow like a boat
(the 650R again) at 6 out of 7 preload settings.

I've seen a lot of people go for Bitubo replacement parts for Italian scooters, most often on the Beverly/BV500
which is too soft for it's own good, but I've never seen anyone upgrade suspension on a Kymco since it usually
works rather well.

It would be great to hear from people who HAVE done this mod and tried any other aftermarket parts though.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
Does one have to have a bottle of nitrogen to be able to adjust or "recharge" those?

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I think those are self contained. The nitrogen is just a marketing thing. What's the cost on those? I would be curious on a review by someone who has them as well.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:06 AM »
Can't answer about the aftermarket shocks you asked about but you might find comfort in the fact that the Xciting
has A LOT better suspension then what my 2007 Kawasaki ER6F had (650R). While it might seem harsh at times, it
works great at keeping the tires planted and you safe, and is a lot better then having the bike wallow like a boat
(the 650R again) at 6 out of 7 preload settings.

I've seen a lot of people go for Bitubo replacement parts for Italian scooters, most often on the Beverly/BV500
which is too soft for it's own good, but I've never seen anyone upgrade suspension on a Kymco since it usually
works rather well.

It would be great to hear from people who HAVE done this mod and tried any other aftermarket parts though.
I want to feel comfort because my scoooter stops doing the hula while leaned over a bit at 70mph...  The ride isn't too harsh - there is insufficient damping (if any), and insufficient spring rate.  Most shops have a nitrogen tank now - and recharging shocks is cheap - not that you would need to.  Nitrogen compresses differently than air, doesn't contain oxygen or mosture (both of which compress differently and corrode and can react with the oil in the shock).  Nitrogen also doesn't change pressure with temperature, and it is much better at maintaining a charge (which is why airplane tires are all filled with it).
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:31:53 AM »
I want to feel comfort because my scoooter stops doing the hula while leaned over a bit at 70mph...  The ride isn't too harsh - there is insufficient damping (if any), and insufficient spring rate.  Most shops have a nitrogen tank now - and recharging shocks is cheap - not that you would need to.  Nitrogen compresses differently than air, doesn't contain oxygen or mosture (both of which compress differently and corrode and can react with the oil in the shock).  Nitrogen also doesn't change pressure with temperature, and it is much better at maintaining a charge (which is why airplane tires are all filled with it).

A lot of people (myself included) filled their car's tires too..  ;D
I'm surprised your ride is too soft, you're probably pushing it a bit more then most people are in corners, and it's no
sport bike.. OR.. your rear shocks are maybe shot.

Most regular shocks need a rebuild ever 2-3 years or so, but people tend to ignore it and since it's a progressive
degradation and most don't even notice their suspension going softer over time.

You obviously need better quality shocks probably because of your riding style so just
bite the bullet and buy them.  :D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
They look really nice. I'll bet they work much better wile riding 2 up and or loaded. :-*

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
They look nice - but that doesn't mean they perform well.  The upper parts of the springs look very close together to me, and I don't see any mention of being able to adjust the rebound (damping).  I was hoping someone knew of an aftermarket model of Performance Shocks or some other brand that I've used before.  Some rising rate springs and a valve kit for the front end would help too - but it need the shock the most.

The shock has been this way since day 1.  I cranked the spring preload all the way up after the first test ride and that helped.  The sag is set right.  The problem is that it has no damping.  When the suspension compresses and then goes back up - it bounces down a bit again before settling down.  I changed the front fork oil to a heavier weight and they no longer go up and down - the hula dance at speed is all coming from the rear end...  I could use my press to take the shocks apart and add washers to increase the spring preload - if that were the problem.

The stock shock gives a comfortable ride which isn't bad for commuting in town.  But for handling purposes - when you compress the shock it should return to it's original position in a controlled manner - and not bounce from it.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:03:05 AM »
My 07 can do one mean hula at freeway speeds. I have almost 30,000 on it now, so I could use a new set also? The biggest compliant I have is how hard the front forks are, I mean when you hit a bump, or on a ruff road. The front end sends a shock up through the bike as if you just hit a small curb. Would lighter oil fix or help this problem? I would hope that at the cost of the nitrogen shocks, that they would work better all around? But who knows unless someone bites the bullet and buys them. Hmmm, lets see now, who has been spending alot of $ on their bike lately? How about that independantly wealthy Hoolander guy! ! ! ! ;D

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 01:05:58 AM »
Oh, forgot to say. There is an adjustment knob (I think)? On the bottom end back side of the shock. What is this adjustment for? :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 04:59:33 AM »
I'd love to try them, believe me, but I don't ride hard enough to justify it.  And I'm not wealthy by any means.  ;)  Fixin to have to go back to work to pay for all these upgrades!

Seems to me we have or had a member who got these.  Maybe one of the South African guys?  Try a search, cause I know we've talked about them before.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »
They look nice - but that doesn't mean they perform well.  The upper parts of the springs look very close together to me, and I don't see any mention of being able to adjust the rebound (damping).  I was hoping someone knew of an aftermarket model of Performance Shocks or some other brand that I've used before.  Some rising rate springs and a valve kit for the front end would help too - but it need the shock the most.

The shock has been this way since day 1.  I cranked the spring preload all the way up after the first test ride and that helped.  The sag is set right.  The problem is that it has no damping.  When the suspension compresses and then goes back up - it bounces down a bit again before settling down.  I changed the front fork oil to a heavier weight and they no longer go up and down - the hula dance at speed is all coming from the rear end...  I could use my press to take the shocks apart and add washers to increase the spring preload - if that were the problem.

The stock shock gives a comfortable ride which isn't bad for commuting in town.  But for handling purposes - when you compress the shock it should return to it's original position in a controlled manner - and not bounce from it.

Yeah, it should, but like I said, I've ridden 70-100hp motorcycles that cost 30 to 50% more then the Xciting that had EVEN WORSE rear
suspension, with my Kawasaki ER6 at the top of that pack.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
This may not answer any of the above questions, but this site lists these:
http://www.nhrc.com.tw/e-live/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=NR-36R-01-380BO-LR&Category=107453
..as a kymco downtown 300/xciting 250/500 replacement racing part, and I use the word racing loosely.

This suggests that the DT300 has the same shocks as the XC500 which might help looking for replacement
parts.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
Certainly looks the part..............

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
Certainly looks the part..............

Yeah..

I think it's a rather safe bet that any aftermarket shocks will be better, I don't remember ever reading
about people who made the swap to any aftermarket shocks and not being happy. Even with the stock
shock, if you only had the full range of adjustments, it might be good enough.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()