Author Topic: Higher windshield options.  (Read 3720 times)

Vanceman201

• View Profile
Higher windshield options.
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
Just purchased a used 2007 Xciting 500.  I am 6'2.5" tall and find that the windshield that came on it
puts the wind right in my face.  I prefer the flow to be over my helmet.
I have found a couple of mentions of different taller shields, but nailing down detail, fit, and availability
is a little bit sketchy.
I am not wild about the design of the regular Givi.  I do like the Givi (AirFlow), but $230+ seems  a little steep.
I can't seem to find a Faco available in the U.S.  A buddy has a Clearview on his 650 Burgman, but I don't see
one for an X500.
I'm not really sure if my shield is really stock or not.  My mirrors are on the handlebars and the shield is approx.
5-6 inches above the mirror level.
Anyone have any more details (model #'s, availability, etc...) for a nice taller shield for this bike.
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
Re: Higher windshield options.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
I have a '09 Xciting and am faced with the same issue since the '09's had a very short windscreen. The regular Givi is too tall for my taste, the Givi Airflow is not available for the Xciting in the US market. I did call Cee Bailey and they wanted $180 to start a prototype. In the end and after countless hours of research, I went with an ER Max screen which I ordered from Italy last night. I paid $101 with free shipping after the Euro conversion. I am sure my CC company will tack on another $5 fee. Regardless, it was the least expensive option. When I get it, I'll post about it. Knowing my luck, I will still have to take it to a plastics company and have it shortened!

This is what I went with but I bought it from RedRacingParts.

http://www.silverstonemotor.com/boutique_us/images_produits/pbhp-500ir-500-1-z.jpg

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Oh, BTW, Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:04:57 PM by ChandlerScoot »
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
Thank you very much for your very prompt, detailed reply.  I see that the deal on FREE SHIPPING supposedly ends today.  But, I think I'll wait to see the pics (if you post any) so I don't order the wrong thing.  In the pic you included I'm not sure this is much higher than the one on my 2007.  I guess I need to make some real measurements.
Once again....thanks.

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »
Yeah, it says free shipping every time I visit the site! LOL
I will give it a review once it is in and on the bike. (up to 17 days quoted shipping time)

Enjoy your X500. I recently bought mine and have started some upgrades to it. (Mostly cosmetic) I am very happy with it especially since I bought it at a steal as a new leftover ebay deal. (3k)
Hoolander is a member here who just bought the Givi tall windscreen. I'm sure he'll jump in with his comments. (all positive)

Check out what this member did to his bike... very cool indeed!

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5500.0
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
Yep, here I is.  :D  Welcome Vanceman.  Hey Chandler, that ERMax looks as though it's the same dimensions as the stock earlier windshields like mine.  It'll probably give better service though since I suppose it doesn't have the UV protectant coating that peels.  You definately paid less than a stock earlier one -- I just looked up which is about $145. 

Warning, Vanceman: DO NOT wash your windshield with household detergent or any other detergent!  It'll make the fine UV protectant coating start to peel and pit.  Best advice is use just water and a soft brush. 

Vanceman, the first thing you should do is look to see what position your current windshield is mounted in.  There are two positions it can go in.  If your horn louvers are completely visible from the front like in the picture ChandlerScoot posted, then it's in the highest or upper position.  If horn louvers are mostly covered by the bottom of the windshield, it's in the lower position and you could benefit from moving it up.  (this info courtesy of member ts1 :-))

You may be aware there's a reason some people prefer the wind blast on the face shield.  It is a safety feature in that it blows rain off your face shield when riding (caught) in rain.  I'm going to be cutting my Givi down a few inches for just that reason.  Also cause I don't like looking through two forms of shielding to see the road.  (I got the Givi mainly for the hand area wind protection)

I returned to riding after many years and my '07 Xciting was my first bike back.  I noticed something I used to notice in my earlier years if I didn't ride for a few months.  That is my neck muscles got sore from the buffeting.  It went away in less than a week just like it used to.  ;) 

I'm lucky in one way in that I spent my career working with plastics --moulding, cutting, buffing, etc. so I feel confident cutting the Givi with a dremel.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:12:37 AM by Hoolander2 »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:27:31 AM »
Oh, and Vanceman, as to which shield you have.  If yours has a forward curving lip at the top two inches or so, it's probably the larger earlier model that came with that year Xciting.  If not it may have been replaced with a later model which would be a good bit shorter.

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 01:46:52 AM »
Wow....those are some gorgeous rides.  I'm not really much of a mechanic.  Hope to pick up some stuff on here.
I love the X500 so far....though I am having to get used to how it works.  I've never owned a scooter and have
only ridden two for short test rides (a Yamaha Majesty 400 and a 650 Burgman).
One thing I'm wondering about is this -- maybe you can enlighten me a bit.  My last ride was a 1992 ST1100 Honda, which
I still have (for the time being).  This thing is smooth as silk....quick, fast, and comfortable.  Handles like a dream.

With the Kymco X500...is it normal/common to have a good bit of vibration at idle and at low speed/rpm?  I'm getting used
to having to throttle up some to engage the centrifugal clutch.  It seems to take the Kymco a couple of seconds to
get going...then it is quick. Once I'm up in speed a bit the vibration smoothes out.  I don't
remember the Yamaha or Burgman vibrating so much...but, could be that I wasn't paying attention to it.
What is your experience with the vibration issue?

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:32 AM »
Hello Hoolander....
Thank you very much and to Chandler for the warm welcome.  The info you are passing on is just what I'm looking for.  I'll check tomorrow
about the position of my shield.  It does NOT have a curve lip at the top so it may have been replaced.  Also, I'll give some thought to the
"wind on the shield" preference when I get to ride it some more.  The rule of thumb I've always been told (with my Honda ST1100 for instance) is that you don't want to look thru the shield....and should be able to be in the riding position and see about 40 feet out front over the top.
And....thanks for the good advice on shield washing.  I'll keep that in mind.
Glad to be on here with you folks.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn more about the X500.
Thanks again.
Steve in Western North Carolina

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 05:40:21 AM »
Mine vibrates just like you describe.  Yes, it's not as smooth as any of my old street bikes but as has been pointed out here before, it's a huge "thumper" -- meaning a huge one cylinder engine.  It's bound to vibrate some. 

I wouldn't think you'd have to throttle up much at all to get moving if it's got a stock clutch and clutch springs.  I think it's supposed to engage around 2500 rpm.  I have an aftermarket clutch which engages a bit higher.  Well, when you get around to taking off the CVT cover (easy task) maybe you'll know enough by then or can post pictures of what you see.  Maybe we can help identify the clutch.  ;)

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
Hey Hoolander....thanks for the response.  The vibration (compared to my ST1100) is something I can
get used to -- just wanted to be sure it was pretty much a natural phenomenon.  Once I'm up to 2500 rpm or
so it really purrs nice.  I have to lean down a good bit to hide behind the low screen to hear it though.  So far I'm
really loving this thing.  Due to cold weather and time limits I've only been on short rides in and around town.  Can't wait to
get it to the Blue Ridge Parkway (about 40 minute nice ride from my house. My favorite road)
I bought this bike from a local dealer.  The story is that it was a "scratch and dent" demonstrator model for the Kymco
Headquarters in nearby Spartanburg, SC.  This 2007 had only 74 miles on it (I'd assume mostly parking lot miles at shows)
when I bought it. Looks almost brand new.  The sales manager lives in my neighborhood and the parts manager is an old high school friend.  Felt like if anything was found to be amiss, that they'd correct it for me.  And...I live one mile from the shop.
I'll try to get some pics to post...so you guys will have an idea of my package.  I'll let you know when I
remove the cover.  See what you think.
Happy to have found some folks with knowledge and experience on this bike.
Steve

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
Chandler and Hoolander....
This is a stock shot of my bike.  This is the windscreen that's on mine.  I didn't remember the
curved lip at the top...but, it has it.
Mine is not in this position.  It is lower.  So, I'll give the higher position a try.  If that doesn't help,
and due to my height, I don't think it will be enough....I'll look at other options...maybe Laminar Lip
or the shield Chandler has coming....or maybe a big ole Givi.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:49:53 AM »
If you just need a bit more - then try the cheap upgrade and change te angle of your shield.  Remove the shield and the mount - and add some nylon or rubber washers under the top mounts to change the angle and move the airblast up a bit.

You can modify the seatback to go back another 3/4 of an inch if more room will help you (it will also change where the air blast hits you).  Standard 7/8 handlebar risers ($20 on eBay) can be used - but you'll have to drill a couple of alignment holes for the handlebars (or dremel off the bumps on the underside of the handlebars).  Going up 3/4 of an inch lets you use the same cables without a problem.

Welcome to the forum...
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »
Cool.  I think you gain about 4 inches when you go to the higher position.  Think the one Chandlerscoot has on order is the same dimensions as yours. 

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 03:34:20 AM »
Howdy ... JustWantToRide --
Thanks a lot for the welcome and your input.  The idea of changing the angle of the shield
sounds promising.  I've already moved the "buttrest"....got almost an inch more room.
May modify this more.  Have you ever heard of letting a trim shop take it
apart and shave an inch or so off the foam?

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
Of-course is has vibes man. Didn't you know the 500 in X500 means 500 HORSE POWER? Silly you!  :P  (Xciting in Tiwanese translates to HI-AHH :-*-BUSSA).

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()