Author Topic: Dr pulleys  (Read 1612 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Dr pulleys
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
On the Dr p's. Do you need to use their plastic parts when you change over from stock? On is stock ok? :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Dr pulleys
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
Stock is ok.  Make sure they're in good shape.  Check your inner bushing and the boss for wear and replace if worn too.  That is, if the boss can wobble in the bushing, it needs to be replaced.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »
Yes I have found that out the hard way! :'(

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:43:09 PM »
anybody here installed a hit clutch on their x500? Still can't decide if i should get one... Financial reasons. Lol they cost to much, but that's the only upgrade missing on my drivetrain. Afaik.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:52:59 AM »
Yep, I've got one.  Great upgrade.  Quiet.  Comes with lots of different sets of springs for tayloring it to the way you like.  Many of them aren't usable for every day street use -- just maybe drag racing.  Also comes with a couple of shims for use under the torque spring if you like.  I've tried them but wound up taking them back out.  Sure do make take offs exciting though.  I just worried it was wearing things out too quickly.   

I played around with spring sets a while back and settled on a combination.   

One combination I had in for a couple of days gave so much power that my belt slipped if I gassed it too much.

If you want to change spring sets, you ought to get a small T-handle brake spring tool.  Changing springs almost impossible without one.  I found one at an auto parts store.  Also a tiny pocket screwdriver helps.

Do a search of my old topics and you should find one or two with more details.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »
now you're making me excited. Mine does take off a lot faster than stock xcitings even if i am 240lbs coz of some upgrades. Really want to improve the performance of my x5. Now what conceens me is the life span of the linnings. They're not chea! $500 for the clutch and it's the older model. Think they released a newer version clutch
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
I paid a little more than that for mine only because shipping charges from Taiwan were so high and they sent it by a fast shipping method.  I guess it would have been less if I'd asked for a cheaper shipping.  Shipping was over $100 USD. 

Mine has 4 shoes.  I've heard the earlier model has 3 shoes.  My linings are perhaps one third worn down after say, 5000 miles of average riding.  (some fast take offs, mostly average though)

Remember, the clutch set up will only make your take off better.  After it's engaged your power is the same as ever.  Placing shims under the torque spring will affect acceleration beyond clutch engagement, so you COULD just do that and not even get a new clutch.  Of course that also makes the belt tighter which equals more wear.  It's a common hop-up the 50cc guys do.

I've also learned what the 50cc modders have learned.  That is these mods will cause you to have to go into the CVT more and more for maintanence/replacing worn parts.  More expensive for the 500 though!  I'll be needing another new belt soon at nearly $200 !!! That's why, over time, I've gradually toned it back down towards more like a stock set-up.  Still, the clutch is working perfectly and I do like it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:14:51 PM by Hoolander2 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()