Author Topic: Dealer visit about variator problem.  (Read 1801 times)

sissy mary

• View Profile
Dealer visit about variator problem.
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
I went to a dealer not long ago and asked a mechanic about the stock Kymco X500 variator. It has grease inside under the grease seal, but it looks as if it can not be re-packed? Melossi-Polini and such new variatiors come with 2 tubes of grease. So this must mean that the grease needs to be packed-or added to from time to time? So what he thinks is that the stock variator, (the piece with the grease seal, I think the outer pulley half), need's to be replaced as a normal wear item???? When and how often I do not know? He was not sure on this as he had never really worked on an X500 before, (only oil changes & such). So I guess we need to go with a melossi, or change out the outer pully half and the bush/sleeve every 15,000 miles or so? Does anyone have a service manuel that states when and if this should be done? If I had known this it would have saved me about 1,500.00 $. :'( 

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
Re: Dealer visit about variator problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
The maintenance schedule is in the owners manual - and doesn't mention the variator.  It does say to replace the drive belt annually (huh?) - but that's the closest it mentions to the variator.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »
And the service manual mentions no grease for the bushing/boss!  Mine never had grease and when I rebuilt it I didn't put any on it.  Soooo. . . .  I'm wondering if it needs it. There's no oil/dust/grease seal on the back side of that arrangement so there's nothing to stop grease from flowiing out and getting all over everything else in there.  I'm thinking it's not a good idea to grease it.  I've never heard of greasing it either.   I did get some graphite and lube all around in there with that which I HAVE heard other modders talk about.  Sissy, did you see the malossi on ebay for about $200?   

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »
No I did not! But a have to put alot of $ in my car, so thats out for now. It looks like the grease in the stock var- lubes something inside? There is a seal there, so there must be grease inside, wouldn't you think? All I know is that the stock va- is self distructing at anywhere from 15'000-to about 25'000 miles and taking the belt with it? My variator broke apart the 2nd time it happened. And tore up my brand new belt for the second time. I don't have the $ right now, so I can't get it into the dealer, but I hope it did not break anything such as the splines? If so, it's good by Mr Kymco. I'm not paying to have the engine tore down to put a new shaft in, when I can get a good low mileage scoot for 3 grand or maybe even less. :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »
The service manual refers to that seal as only a "dust seal".  Though I've seen it refered to as an oil seal in I think the parts manual or somewhere.  Personally I think it should be set up so as to have grease in there!  I used to put a film of motor oil on the boss but it never did any good.  I'm with you as far as inspecting the boss and bushing frequently.  And also the little triangular slide pieces on the ramp plate.  Mine have turned out broken a few times already.  I believe once they break up, much of the engine's power goes into just vibrating the variator (creating heat) instead of flowing through the belt to the driven pulley as it should.

Funny thing: lately when I take off the cover for inspection, my belt is loose! Even though it is always tight when I assemble it all.  I would think that too could contribute to heat and wear on everything in there.  Can't figure anything other than my torque spring must have gotten weak so I ordered a new one.  Will let you know how that helps if at all. 

Ok, now I'm not seeing the malossi on ebay.  Must have ended or sold.  Will keep my eyes open for it again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:47:22 AM by Hoolander2 »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
It sure looks like a grease seal to me? But if it is not, then maybe there lie's the design defect? The melossi & polini both have grease! If I have the cash in spring, I am going to go with the melossi. This breaking of belts, inspections & cleaning just so you can ride is B S. >:( I wonder if the 300i has a diff set up? If you see one on ebay let me know. :-*

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
my malossi pulley didn't come with a grease and the manual says you don't need to put grease. Before i do put a little grease but didn't notice any diff. Now i only put a little wd40 on the pulley just to prolong the dr. Pulley sliders from turning.
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
Hey Guys! If you look at the variator there is a bronze bushing pressed into it. This rides on the drive boss that is a chrome brass alloy. The two metals are in essence self lubricating, and do NOT require grease. The grease that comes with a new Var. is there as an assembly lube ONLY. New Var.'s and bushings take about 100 miles to wear into each other and start their magic. The seal you refer to is in fact a dust seal to keep belt dust from interfering with that process. Annndddd annual inspection is practically mandatory to maintain roller/slider "health". I ALWAYS have a spare set of each as they do wear faster than any other part on the scoot. Just the nature of the beast... Hope this helps
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 03:33:30 AM »
Thanks, Zombie for sharing your experience and knowledge!  That all sounds right on. 

I did get my new torque spring installed -- it was about 1/8 inch longer than the original one which I chalk up to age and heat on the original.  Also compared my belt to a spare I had and sure enough, it needed replacing.  Put the spare in and now it's TIGHT like I remember it being first time I ever looked at it.  ;)  Runs good n smooth.  I've taken the CVT apart enough times now I did that job plus inspected everything in about an hour.  Never would have dove into any of it to start with if not for reading you guys on this forum. 

Thinking about all this I think back to my old chain and sprockets days.  You know it's really not TOO MUCH more of a pain than adjusting and lubing/cleaning the chain from time to time and replacing it and the sprockets once a year. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:00:36 AM »
I remember when you joined here Hoo. Asking what that hole is for... All grown up!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()