Author Topic: adjusting X500 idle speed  (Read 6305 times)

Vanceman201

• View Profile
adjusting X500 idle speed
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:38:26 PM »
I believe I've read that the idle speed should be set at 1400 or so +/- 100 rpm.
Mine was idling after warm up at about 1,000....sometimes a bit less.  Is that a problem in
any way?
And is the tach accurate enough to set the idle speed by?  Was wondering if an increase
would make a difference in the clutch engage, etc....when making a slow speed turn -- as into a
side road. Thanks.
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: adjusting X500 idle speed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »
My tach seems ok. Yes I would bump it up a hair but not 2 much. You don't want it so high that the clutch starts to grab. So the stock setting works just fine for me, for take off, riding, up & down hills and around corners. :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:55:31 AM »
Mine was about like yours when I got it, Vanceman.  I turned it up to spec because I wanted to make sure the battery was getting charged at idle too.  When I had battery checked at a local shop, they said it was not getting anything at idle and I had experienced a little bit of weakness out of the battery from time to time. 

Sometimes when the temp is quite cool or cold, it'll idle high enough to make clutch want to start engaging.  I'm aware of it and ready to grab the brakes if needed.  Usually start it with the parking brake on anyway. 

Try going up to spec and if you don't like it, take er back down.  Take it riding for a good 20 minutes to warm engine, then quickly get to adjusting before it cools much at all. 

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
If the idle is too low then you are lugging the engine when first leaving a stop - and that isn't good for it.  It also risks stalling the engine when idling or leaving a stop.  I'd set it to between 13 and 14. 
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

speedee86

• 2012 Kymco Xciting 500 RI ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
i know this thread is old but did you solve your problem. i have been trying to adjust my 2012 xc500 idle speed and it seems to drop back down to around 1000-1100. wondering if i should adjust higher till i get it right where i want it or not, i have made many minor adjustments and get it where i want it but after a couple start stops, it drops back down again it seems.
always leave yourself an exit incase you get stuck in a pinch. RIDE SAFE!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
Speede, on your bike since it is a EFI bike you should never touch it "idle" stop screw. Take it to your Kymco dealer and they can use the Kymco diagnostic tool to set the idle correctly.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 01:50:03 AM »
Speede, on your bike since it is a EFI bike you should never touch it "idle" stop screw. Take it to your Kymco dealer and they can use the Kymco diagnostic tool to set the idle correctly.

If there's an idle screw on the bike, it's there for adjusting idle  ;D and will be metioned in the manual.
I'm not sure about the 500i but I doubt that a computer is needed for adjusting it.

All of the bikes I owned (sig line) had a simple screw for that.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:05:57 AM »
The ECU should adjust idle in all conditions. Even though there is a throttle stop screw the manual says never adjust. If you have low idle on a EFI bike turning the screw up is just a band aid fix for another problem. With the Kymco diagnostic tool it allows idle adjustment and CO adjust.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 02:13:12 AM »
The ECU should adjust idle in all conditions. Even though there is a throttle stop screw the manual says never adjust. If you have low idle on a EFI bike turning the screw up is just a band aid fix for another problem. With the Kymco diagnostic tool it allows idle adjustment and CO adjust.

My Downtown, Kawasaki ER6F and FZ6 all have idle adjust screws and manual says they're for.. ADJUSTING THE IDLE.  ;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 03:25:20 AM »
I see where everyone is coming from. The manual does say to adjust it at this service interval. Anyway, long story short, I found the issue. I have a gpr pipe on it, the valve were a little tight, after adjusting to spec, it changed the idle. I slapped the oem pipe on and been riding it all night after speaking with the mechanic and knock on wood. Been perfect. In order to run this pipe looks like I will need a power commander tune. Guess before when the valves were too tight, I was lucky it didnt have this issue. Either way, rather have it run great and reliable than have it sound cool and run crappy lol.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 03:58:21 AM »
If you all look up his throttle body you will see it is a true computer controlled system. He HAS adjusted the screw (which is actually the idle air break, and has a specific setting). The computer overtakes the adjustment, and returns the idle to where it wants.

It has to be set to a specific opening or air break, and that has to match the TPS setting.
Exactly what these settings are I have not yet looked up bit I am sure they are in the service manual. If I owned one I would know...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 04:22:50 AM »
If you all look up his throttle body you will see it is a true computer controlled system. He HAS adjusted the screw (which is actually the idle air break, and has a specific setting). The computer overtakes the adjustment, and returns the idle to where it wants.

It has to be set to a specific opening or air break, and that has to match the TPS setting.
Exactly what these settings are I have not yet looked up bit I am sure they are in the service manual. If I owned one I would know...
I downloaded the service manual.pdf and confirmed with the shop and it says to adjust the idle adjustment screw until the idol is at 1300 to 1400 rpm plus or minus 100

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 06:01:42 PM »
Normally, fuel injected bikes and cars have no physical adjustment for the idle as it is computer controlled, using temperature, humidity and other factors to set the appropriate idle speed.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:55 PM »
This whole thing is moot if it's a Carb'ed bike
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

speedee86

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
This whole thing is moot if it's a Carb'ed bike
Its fuel injected :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()