Author Topic: scooter wont start  (Read 11710 times)

mdewfreak07

• View Profile
scooter wont start
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »
Hello,

I am trying to fix my girlfriends scooter for her. Its pretty much new. its only got 90 miles on it. the problem is that she last used in around august. and when i went to try to check it out today the battery was dead. so i charged it and it tries to turn over but doesn't. what can i try to do.

juice

• View Profile
Re: scooter wont start
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:40:29 AM »
Change the gas and kick start it . Good luck .

mdewfreak07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:18:46 AM »
where can i find a video on how to kick start it. i know it shouldn't be to hard i just dont want to end up flooding it with gas.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
where can i find a video on how to kick start it. i know it shouldn't be to hard i just dont want to end up flooding it with gas.

You won't flood it with gas unless you tried pumping the throttle while starting it.
If it's got a kick starter, just use it, and don't touch the throttle.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

mdewfreak07

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:45:46 AM »
Is it had to change the gas and where can I find out a step by step guide

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »
Is it had to change the gas and where can I find out a step by step guide

There's no need in my opinion to do that, it's just a couple of months, most people don't ride their bikes from end
of summer until next spring and no one does that. Might wanna check the fuel filter just in case, or carburetor for
dirt, but considering you're asking how to drain the gas tank, both of these suggestions I made are probably gonna
require a mechanic.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to fix my girlfriends scooter for her. Its pretty much new. its only got 90 miles on it. the problem is that she last used in around august. and when i went to try to check it out today the battery was dead. so i charged it and it tries to turn over but doesn't. what can i try to do.

#1.  What the brand and model of the scooter ?
#2.  Is the kill switch in "RUN" mode ?
#3.  Are you holding in on the left brake lever ?

You charged the barrery and it "tries to turn over" sounds like you haven't changed the battery completely or the battery is bad.
Take it to an autoparts store and have it tested under load.

Good Luck,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

mdewfreak07

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »

#1.  What the brand and model of the scooter ?   Kymco agility 125
#2.  Is the kill switch in "RUN" mode ? Yes
#3.  Are you holding in on the left brake lever ? Yes

You charged the barrery and it "tries to turn over" sounds like you haven't changed the battery completely or the battery is bad.
Take it to an autoparts store and have it tested. Battery good

mdewfreak07

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »

mdewfreak07

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:10:06 AM »
Hopefully that video loaded from YouTube if not I'll retry once I get home. I used my iPhone to upload the video. I changed the gas

mdewfreak07

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »
If the video didn't work my username is mdewfreak07 and the videos name is kymco agility 125

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
IMHO, i would change the spark plug, probably clean the carb, change the gas.
I realize it has very low miles but just for "sh**s and giggles" i would check the valve adjustment to make sure it's still within specs..
Keep us posted and good luck. My ag is hard to start after it sits for a lenghty period.. After it has turned over several times, maybe try giving JUST A HAIR of throttle.. I have to give mine about 1/8-1/4 throttle after she sits ignored.(i think she gets mad at me for not riding her much. :D)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
...pull plug out and ground it against engine...try to start, and look for a bright blue spark at the plug...

..check the (2) 7amp fuses in the floor compartment...

..open the airbox and spray some starting fluid in the intake while trying to start..

.. if it starts, then you likely have clogged carb jets or a faulty AutoBystarter..

..this'll give you a cpl things to check...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 05:11:38 AM »
yes all very good suggestions...i think unlikely though valves out of adjustment with only....90 miles on it...but hey possible.....i would spray the starting fluid in the box as indicated, change the plug.....now with check for spark....the battery may kick it over......and yes a cell could be bad ....if you got a 10 amp in there go for a 12......

putting these scooters to sleep continuously for3-4 months with no riding....always poses challenges and is why i try to ride through as much of the winter as i can.....just like ships are safe in port.....they nevertheless are made to ride the high seas.....same with scooters...safe and protected in your garage......but made to be ridden about....good luck....

stlpsd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »

mdewfreak - that is exactly what my wife's 2004 gv250 sounds like. I am pulling my hair out trying to find the spark plug and fuel lines. If anyone has a good link to the manual i would appreciate it. The link I tried was not working, so stuck again. Or a link to a place to buy the manual would work to. I 'll pay for it if that is the only option (frugal not stingy).

thanks
Joe

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()