Author Topic: loose black line, fall, engine noise  (Read 7672 times)

william13

• View Profile
loose black line, fall, engine noise
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
Is there supposed to be a loose line, tube, or hose (black) on the right rear of the peoples 50 4ht?  Also I had a mild spill and the bike landed on me (bike landed on right side)  It ran for 2-3 minutes before I could get out.  Now there is a metallic engine noise intermittent and occasional difficulty with starting.  Is this related to the loose hose or a separate issue?

Bill in Florida
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:54:34 AM by william13 »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: loose black line, fall, engine noise
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
..sorry for your spill...

..a pic of this loose line would help...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:15 AM »
Damn, sucks dude. Hope your alright

Doesn't sound good. I doubt the two have anything to do with each other.

The hose could lead to the "cold starting" shroud around the carburetor, which you probably don't need depending on where you live. Most likely some type of vent hose(Crankcase, Transmission, ect. and may not (necessarily) need to connect to anything.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:14:18 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:43:49 AM »
Glad you're ok! Follow the "Line" to the other end, and post where it ends. This may help us. One issue you may have is while the scoot was laid down there is no oil pumping to the top end. You may need to check your valve adjustment to see if it still in Spec.. The hard start may be due to debris picked up into the carb. jets. A through cleaning would be in order there. I do not believe Sea Foam or any others will help as it is most likely "heavy" sediment (ie: grain of sand ect)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

william13

• View Profile
Re: loose black line, fall, engine noise much worse than I thought
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 02:48:47 AM »
So I brought the Kymco to the place where I bought it.  It was a little hard to start and the engine made a rattling sound while I rode it there.  At the shop the tech opened up the engine and found the starter gear to be dislodged from its usual place.  To make matters worse the crankshaft (the main center shaft..maybe he said camshaft I do not know) was stripped and the large gear attached to it ie the one that attaches to belt moved when the shaft did not.  The shop owner told me it would be $1000 plus to fix.  The bike is two or three year old, otherwise in mint condition, it only has 800 miles.   I asked how this happened and they told me it was the fall.  Interestingly I fell to the right ie the opposite side of engine.  The bike only had a mild scratch on the skirt under where my feet go.  Shop owner suggested I walk away from the bike and it is worthless.  He offered to give me a discount on a brand new bike.  I have not discussed the amount with him yet but I must say I am disappointed that such a minor spill could "total my bike".  I would like to hear others thoughts.....should I get a second opinion on repair costs......the shaft is definitely stripped and needs major work but thats it. T

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 05:08:13 AM »
You can get a whole new 139qmb engine on Ebay for $269.00 delivered. A good mechanic can swap/road test it in 2hrs. The internal damage would have been from no oil delivery as I suggested earlier. If you are able to shut off the engine immediately after a spill, I would suggest doing so.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=139qmb+engine&_sacat=See-All-Categories
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:16:30 AM »
Are you mechanically inclined?  This is something that you can fix, if you are.

I wouldn't call the bike worthless.  I'd carry it back home, and certainly not let the dealer keep it.

That damage would not happen because of a fall, unless I am totally mis-understanding what's going on.

Can you please post photos of the damage?  Tell the dealer to leave the parts off when you pick up the bike if they just have the CVT cover off.  If it only has 800 miles on it and it has a stripped out crankshaft, with messed up splines, I'm inclined to believe that the vario nut may not have been torqued down if/when the scooter was de-restricted or a belt/variator/rollers (etc) were changed... though with 800 miles, none of that needs to be messed with really.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:19:58 AM »
I was thinking he was refering to the timing chain/cam bearings ect. Damn speed reading.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 05:21:32 AM »
Either way the dealer is well ah aaa um yeah!  Needing cash...

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:26:40 AM »
I was thinking he was refering to the timing chain/cam bearings ect. Damn speed reading.

With the bike being on it's side for the better part of 3 minutes, your suggestion to check the cam bearings, valve adjustment, etc is a very good one, even if it's separate from the above posted issue.  After reading the post though, I would be very hard pressed to believe that a variator nut backed off and ruined everything because of a fall unless said nut wasn't torqued down properly at some point.

I'm not calling the dealer out or anything, I'm just saying that my point of view is...  Well, different, and probably slightly on the accurate side.  I play a scooter mechanic/tuner on TV or something. :P

To play the "devils advocate" many times a dealer is not required under their franchise agreement to honor any type of warranty on a bike after a crash or signs of abuse though.  Some of those things can easily come down to the discretion of said dealership.

~Josh
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:31:01 AM by Areomyst »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
..aaannnd as for the starter bendix being out of place, that commonly happens when removing the cvt cover...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

william13

• View Profile
stipped shaft: noise
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
Thank you everyone.  I read all your comments.  I will get second and third opinions.   This is a nice community that I found.  I appreciate everyones comments very much and I will give feedback as it comes.

Bill

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »
Bill,

You might also ask your dealer for a parts-only quote and let them know that you think you can handle the labor on your end.  After all, you're unlikely to hurt it worse than it already is, and learning a few things about the engine would be cool.

If you get a full parts quote, and then post up the parts here (not prices, just parts) we may be able to help save you a few bucks by using good quality aftermarket parts that will fit.  Might even  be able to squeeze a little "go fast" in there, depending on what the laws are in your area, and what you want out of the bike. 

Or, if you're comfortable taking the engine out yourself but the tearing down the engine is a little daunting, you could get a few quotes based on you dropping off the engine and the parts at whatever shop.  It's going to be cheaper that way for sure.  I would try to stay friendly with the dealer - after all, you bought your bike there... but let them know your intentions as well.

~Josh

william13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
I hate the fact the bike went down but fixing it myself does sound cool and I have a daughter that has been begging me to buy an old car and fix it up together.  Maybe this will suffice.  I saw the pictures you posted on the site with that engine redo......impressive

william13

• View Profile
Re: loose black line, fall, engine noise: pictures
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »
I have some nice pictures of the damage but can not figure out how to post pictures

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()