Author Topic: ZX/50 Ruima Build  (Read 10850 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
ZX/50 Ruima Build
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »
Hey all! Get ready for a long single paragraph rambling post! OK~Here it is. The Malossi 47mm jug ran up 67mph new. 64 after 2 years. 60 from the third on... The whole set up was a 28mm Delorto (48 pilot/150ish main), K&N style air filter, Malossi reed block w/ Boysen .30 carbon reeds, Technigas r2 pipe, Suatai re-programed cdi, Malossi Delta clutch (2000 rpm fly springs, and Yellow Contra spring), Malossi Var. w/ 5.5 malossi rollers.  All of these bits were tweaked a bit to get more out of them.
The new setup is Oko 24mm pwk carb (47 pilot/115 main) K&N style filter, CT intake, and fiber glass reeds, Ruima 50mm jug, Ruima "capped" 44mm stroker crank, Jiangwayne stainless pipe, Same Suatai cdi, Malossi delta (2000 fly/Red Contra) Malossi 6gr rollers.
First the crank. The bearings are a BIT*H!!! Use the hot/cold method, and use the case bolts to get it together. Check the clearence of the Con. Rod big end after the crank is in. It may get too tight, and you will need to re set this. (I used a fiberglass wedge to adjust this)You have all seen Bat's Picts. of the case porting soooo. I added a few things to the cases. Remove the tabs left after the boost port is cut, Remove the large support opposite the boost port. Drill the crank oilers to 5/16", and chamfer top and bottom of these holes. Remove all the material in the intake passage. Match the cases to the jug. Match the cylinder skirts to the cases. Chamfer all the port edges inside the jug. Polish the exhaust port w/o changing the shape of the port roof. Mirror polish the top 1/2 of the cases. (intake thru transfers). This step will allow the oil to slide down the cases to the crank where it is needed. Also Scotch brite the bottom of the cases to make the oil "stick".
The Ruima jugwill plug, and play alone, but needs attention w/ the stroker crank. (1) gasket top, and bottom results in 13.7:1 compression. Can you say hand grenade? You need to bring the jug up 2.4mm., and for breakin use an extra head gasket to keep the compression low (10.2:1). There are no locater pins in this jug/head so you will want to add a pair to the stud holes. The jug timing is very good for the exhaust duration, and the Intake is just a little low. (188* exh/127*int) but is is good for everyday.
Now the piston... The piston SUCKS!!! Cast alum, and not very well finished, Drill (2) 2mm oilers for the wrist pin (chamfered inside, and out) Dimple the exh side of the dome 1.5mm from the edge I used a 1mm wire bit to drill 8 dimples. These will attract heat away from the edge, and prevent melt over on the rings. The skirt also needs to be beveled to a negative 22* to push oil onto the cyl. wall vs the stock removal. Chamfer all the piston edges when done.
This kit MUST be run on Pre-mix. I tried the pump. and adding 2t to the tank but it just is not efficient enough, and you will get 4 corner scoring on the piston.
Run 7-8gr rollers for break in
Run 1 clip rich on the needle for break in
Run 1 turn rich on the idle mix screw for break in
Use a BR9HSA NOT the BR8HSA
Now for some fun stuff... Use a Ruckus Variator. They start at 94mm, and go to 104mm over range. I have a Prodigy Ruk. at 97mm, and love it. You need to remove the electric start motor to use this, but it is worth it. The Var. will not fit the cases unless you remove material from the starter housing, and you will need a NEW zx/50 drive boss. I say new cause the Ruk uses a 15mm crank, and its drive boss won't work. Your old zx boss will but it will be worn, and for 15 bucks why blow a case up? You will need a longer belt now... 735x18.5x30 is the new size. I had to shim my boss .3mm to get a good bite at full stop. I forgot to say use your orig ramp plate. you want the belt to be running ON the boss at full stop.
More fun... I "glassed" all of the rear body pannels into one piece. I remove two bolts from the seat pan, and two nuts from the tail light, and the whole saction comes off for easy access.
Now the fan has sort of a screen in front of it. Remove it!

Same w/ the cvt cover. There is a circle over the clutch that says Kymco cut this out to cool the clutch.
Here is the bottom line... The scoot now does 143mph in the power band, and 127 cruise. It will run on Vodka/gin/ whiskey, but I'm not sure about beer (Slinger) Maybe a fatter jet?.?
 Nawwwwww Really is MUCH quicker at take off, and hits my old top speed at 3/4 throttle. I haven't opened it up yet as it takes too long to get pistons. My guess is approx. 73-74mph. I have a few picts. to post, and I'm sure I missed a few fine points so I will stick around to answer any ?'s.

I love my Bro's here, and think this set-up will be one for the books~ CHEAP (yes)/FAST (hell yeah)/DURABLE (?)  My camera is at the shop but I will get some more Picts. Mass Iridium to all~
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: ZX/50 Ruima Build
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:09:41 AM »
Totally awesome!  MOre pics with it together please!  Go Zombie!  I did like your old color scheme, I guess that's gone now.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:28:26 AM »
Just Awesome!!!  Glad to hear you're still around...it's been awhile!
Mass Iridium!!!!!!! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
Yoooooo! How's my big Bro doing? Still got the ZX? This build has me stoked. So far it has more power than I expected, and runs like a DREAM. I kept up w/ Bats. thru this, and he can tell you it had some pitfalls. 1/2hr. pistons, and such. I truly searched the world for the parts I have in it, and am still looking for a flat top Forged piston to finish it, but for now (breakin) the Ruima piston will do. I have a box of variators/pistons/different types of rings/belts/rollers/ cylinder head experiments/carbs... I just took my time, and researched EVERYTHING! This build can not be beat! The best bit is the smoothness compared to the Malossi. Power is constant all the way, and it really does Huuummmmmmmmm! I had to share this as I believe it is as good as it can get. It actually sounds more like a 4t Formula car than a 2t dirt bike. Oh yeah... NEVER use a 4t qmb engine on a Goped. If you do just break your arm FIRST! (saves alot of walking)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »
..mass iridium!!!

..look at this...th gangs all here!...

..wheres batty??
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »
He's been MIA for a few days. No posts/emails... I think he is holed up in a brothel somewhere... I just got the pun!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »
Oh yeah. The old paint job is still there..W/ all the others.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 04:56:35 AM »
Here are a few more picts. Still not good but that is why I don't post many. You can see the extension kit I built in one of the picts. It added 3.25" in length, and lowered it by 2.25" This can be done w/ (1) piece of pipe, and (2) 1/4" steel plates. Nothing on the scoot wiring/controls needs to be changed to add this. I did add a spacer to the shock to gain back 1" I can't say why the Factory scoot is so short but the handling is 100% better stretched There is one Pict. of the open fan. I added a 3" collar to the shroud to get the air intake out to the open air. Can't see it in the shi^^y pict. tho. The engine is sprayed w/ Nason 2 part urethane enamal.(fuel proof). The whole scoot is done w/ Awl Grip 2 part urethane enamel. NEVER needs waxing/fuel proof. I also mod'ed the seat by removing 1" of foam from the front 1/2. Lower look, and better feel. The last bits to do are install Pirelli Diablo 130x70x12 front, and rear, and spray the rims. I am expecting my 5 year old grandson will be having this scoot in a few years so it will be a Zombie forever. Next 50cc project? Aprilia sr 50. (Found one today). Maybe that one will be a 103cc in a month or so... Ps. I had my Malossi jug bored to accept a JN 47.5 mm yamaha yz80 piston. This will ONLY work w/ a 46mm crank so if anyone wants to get into a stroker project on an af18 or newer engine let me know, and I can hook you up!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:01:55 AM »
Forgot the F'n picts.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
I hate posting picts.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
He's been MIA for a few days. No posts/emails... I think he is holed up in a brothel somewhere... I just got the pun!
..mass iridium!!!

..look at this...th gangs all here!...

..wheres batty??

I'm here, I'm here....
Great thread z. I thought i had emailed you. Oops, maybe i didnt.
I havent any good news to post about lately along with the crash of my computer.(hopefully it's fixed)
I hope to have mine repaired very soon and ride my lil demon...lol
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »
..nice work z-man!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 01:46:56 AM »
A little updating...No major issues till 3-4 days ago. I wound up at 9gr Dr. Pulley rollers. Rpms were spot on at 55. Right on the pipes 8500 rpms.
I have had to replace the small plastic sliders in the var 4 times since the build. (rattles at idle). Soo the other day I thought my torque drive locked up because I had no low gears. Opened it up to find the rollers were in dozens of pieces (metal, and all) The Ruk var is SHOT. So I dug out the Malossi I have used for 4 years, and a new Malossi belt. Got about 20 miles, and the sliders broke again digging the ramp into the var, and shredding the belt. Back to OEM var, and Bando OEM belt. 50 miles this time, and I started hearing that sharp LEAN pop thru the pipe. Throttle down to get home, and never made it. The Jw pipe had cracked at the mount, enough to lean, and melt the piston.
I have called them tonight, and will let you'all know what happens.
To top this off I took the old Malossi jug, and the spacer to install on the cases, and it wont fit due to the porting (boost port) There is a 1mm air space behind the cyl at the boost port. Soooo back on the spare engine... Spare in the zx... Old pipe, and 19mm delorto. Even stroked the Malossi has NOTHING on the Ruima. I still get 60mph on the set up, but it takes forever to get there compared to the Ruima.
The bottom line is the Ruima makes so much torque it SHREDS variators/sliders in a couple weeks. I have had three variators, and 5 belts blow in three months. Anything bigger (125cc drive) is too heavy, and lowers power.
After I build it AGAIN IT IS FOR SALE. I can't be wasting time replacing all the drive train every few weeks. This scoot is really more race than street. If I tune it down I am not happy with it. I tune it up, and parts don't last. I have considered jack shafting, and running external pulley sets but again too much trouble for everyday. The scoot will be rebuilt, waxed, painted, and sealed in a glass box till sold.
Aprilla here I come.
In the mean time I am running the Verucci 4t Ruk style. It gets 50mph on a 50mm bbk, and that is just fine for now

oldschoolsanta

• feel the 50 cc power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »
Is this zx been raised?I want to raise mine too does it look better like this i cant tell from the pictures.Do you have a picture before it was raised?
feel the 50 cc power

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
So I dug out the Malossi I have used for 4 years, and a new Malossi belt. Got about 20 miles, and the sliders broke again digging the ramp into the var, and shredding the belt. Back to OEM var, and Bando OEM belt. 50 miles this time, and I started hearing that sharp LEAN pop thru the pipe. Throttle down to get home, and never made it. The Jw pipe had cracked at the mount, enough to lean, and melt the piston.

...dammit man!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()