Author Topic: What could be?  (Read 7345 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: What could be?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
It may be the same chassis on the new vespas and gilleras but i meant get a proper vespa, the classic shape thats all metal and has gears. Dount that chassis is used by anyone other than vespa and lml (cheap indian vespa). LML are basically vespas made under licence in India and badged as lml. Get one of those and swap for vespa badges and nobody would be any wiser. Think the build quality is still good, at least on ones i saw about.

Course if you want a more modern scoot then it may not be for you?

I kind of wish i had bought myself a two stroke instead of my a50 just for the better torque and acceleration etc. Chose the four stroke as its meant to be more reliable but it feels im missing the fun factor at times, usually going up a long hill  :'(

Should have my Vespa T5 finished and on the road by spring  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• Agility 50 2011 and SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
    • View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
It may be the same chassis on the new vespas and gilleras but i meant get a proper vespa, the classic shape thats all metal and has gears. Dount that chassis is used by anyone other than vespa and lml (cheap indian vespa). LML are basically vespas made under licence in India and badged as lml. Get one of those and swap for vespa badges and nobody would be any wiser. Think the build quality is still good, at least on ones i saw about.

Course if you want a more modern scoot then it may not be for you?

I kind of wish i had bought myself a two stroke instead of my a50 just for the better torque and acceleration etc. Chose the four stroke as its meant to be more reliable but it feels im missing the fun factor at times, usually going up a long hill  :'(

Should have my Vespa T5 finished and on the road by spring  ;D

Understand now, yep the build quality of those older Vespas' was rock solid but the new ones are not too bad either. Like you I would love to do up an older "Classic" scoot. New ones are engineered just like cars to platform share to enable "economies of scale". Will have to look up the Indian LML ;D

I am not too keen on the two stroke noise and thought the 4 stroke would be a nice ride overall. But have found especially with a 50cc the extra power and torque is more important overall even the AG50 engine is a very sweet little runner and maybe if it had a rad and injection could yield another 1-2Bhp?????

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your completed Vespa and interesting to here how it performs  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:34:55 AM by jezyg »
2011 Agility 50
2011 SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Policebooks

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
Om still sanding and prepping, feels like it will never end  ;D

Got a big box of nice new shiney parts to fit once its painted. Took some pics at the weekend so maybe put up a post under projects cos you can put up non kymco bikes ok. Cant wait to get it done. Got my wheels powder coated a nice red colour at work last week for free so need some white walls to go on them and it should look sweet. Doing body a gunmetal silver once i find the exact shade i want, poss a bmw or merc colour. Those LML are pretty big and there are many dealers here doing them. Not sure on the price but must be cheaper than original Vespas.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
@(jezyg)My peugeot speedfight 3 was another mistake i made last year i thought i was just unlucky at first with the kisbee and with my wife also wanting a scooter after we had sold are car, we really liked the look of the sp3 and hoped it would be better but had it less than 5 weeks it was hard to start sometimes it would start first time sometimes after few minutes of elec and kick then sometimes not at all then you would come back to it a few hours later and it would fire up first time but as you could imagine thats no good when me or my wife are relying on it to get to work. It was the air cooled version as it was about 400 pound cheaper than water cooled but being a/c it had a rear drum and i had problems with the brake shoes not realeasesing from the drum after you had pulled brake i decided to get out why i could and sold it at a 500 pound loss so thank god the kymco's were not a mistake. As for performance yes it was lively it would also pull up hills at its restricted speed of 32mph shown on digital dash which was a nice feature, on my kymco same hill it can strugle to get to 20mph. So although the kymco,s may not be as sporty looking as many scoots i quickly realised i needed to put reliability first. As for rust the only place so far is my exhaust all my screw/bolt heads that were exposed i coverd in a thin smear of comma grease that i purchased from wilkinsons its only about £3 for a 500g pot....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:04:16 PM by kisbee »
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
Om still sanding and prepping, feels like it will never end  ;D

Got a big box of nice new shiney parts to fit once its painted. Took some pics at the weekend so maybe put up a post under projects cos you can put up non kymco bikes ok. Cant wait to get it done. Got my wheels powder coated a nice red colour at work last week for free so need some white walls to go on them and it should look sweet. Doing body a gunmetal silver once i find the exact shade i want, poss a bmw or merc colour. Those LML are pretty big and there are many dealers here doing them. Not sure on the price but must be cheaper than original Vespas.

Had a look at them and they do look nice and well made, about 2.6K starting price and only 125cc. Love to see the pics sounds like it will look fab love the colour choice very classy!!

Thanks Kisbee I would be put off Pugs for life after that, I had a 306 and that was a lemon then my wife much latter had a 307 made from chewing gum and a disintegrating flywheel.....vowed never to buy Peugeot again. Give my AG its due it has never failed to start in the morning or leaving work, any refusals to start has been on a Sunday. Emptied the drain pipe and it was full and kink in the fuel line was restricting fuel as bike is picking up better again.

New bike is dependant on my book sales as the deal is my wife gets a dog and I get a new scooter if I make enough money by Sept  ;D
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08:46 PM »
From the peugeot scoot forum i joined at the time the big let down on all speedfights was the inbuilt imobiliser. Every model had issues with them going dodgy. That was the issue on mine. When i got it it wouldnt spark at all no matter what,
.guessed it was prob the imobiliser so i bypassed it and took it out, had to replace my peugeot cdi with a chinese one and hook it in to the original wiring. Easy ish job on the mk 1, mk2 is slightly more complex to bypass and needs the stator swapped too, mk3's are not worth even trying to bypass as its too expensive and complex so not worth it. I sold mine to a neighbour and he still uses it so i guess i did something right  ;D

Whats your book Jezyg? Got a link?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
From the peugeot scoot forum i joined at the time the big let down on all speedfights was the inbuilt imobiliser. Every model had issues with them going dodgy. That was the issue on mine. When i got it it wouldnt spark at all no matter what,
.guessed it was prob the imobiliser so i bypassed it and took it out, had to replace my peugeot cdi with a chinese one and hook it in to the original wiring. Easy ish job on the mk 1, mk2 is slightly more complex to bypass and needs the stator swapped too, mk3's are not worth even trying to bypass as its too expensive and complex so not worth it. I sold mine to a neighbour and he still uses it so i guess i did something right  ;D

Whats your book Jezyg? Got a link?

Those Pugs do sound a mare a shame as the SP3 does look nice, I would only go Piaggio group or Yamaha if not Kymco.

I have a few books best selling is the "Police Officers Guide" here is the link to all of them on Amazon ignore my profile pic don't want you having nightmares!!  :o

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeremy-Green/e/B006JRDXFW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
2011 Agility 50

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »
Im hopeing my agility will last me at least 3 years then hopeing by then kymco will have a electric model how easy would that be your only real maintanence is to wash it and check the tyre pressure :), puegeot are bringing out a elec vivacity with 4kw output the max to allow it to be classed as a moped so you can still ride it on your car licence and thats still more output tham most 50cc 2 strokes its just a shame its a pug as i will never give them my money again. Also i can see the price of fuel start to rise a lot more sharply as oil reserves start to strugle even more with growing demand....

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:17:21 PM by kisbee »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 12:57:14 AM »
sweet need to safe some cash for that one.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:57 AM »
Electric does sound cool. All depends on the length to recharge tho and its ranve before running out of battery.

And the price of the scoot too.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 07:59:59 AM »
The problem is the price again, looking at around 3.8K at the mo for the Pug  :o The batteries themselves are just too expensive, looked at a few electric bikes before deciding to stick with petrol as you needed to use allot of petrol to offset the cost of the bike.

As soon as battery tech gets cheaper which it will I can see them taking off, only downside is they are much harder to derestrict ??? Also still have doubts on how long batteries will actually last and the replacement cost. On something like the Nissan Leaf replacement batteries cost over 10K and I think the Pug is around the 2K mark. Range is mooted to be about 35 miles then a 4 hour charge and a top speed of 30mph. Looks a nice bike and is made in France not China. Not sure if that will help build quality or not but at 3.8K you expectations will be higher!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:08:04 AM by jezyg »
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
Im sure i read that you need to replace the batteries on the cars every few yrs? Fine if its a warranty item but not so fine after warranty runs out. For me the recharge and range is the big issues with electric. I want a 100mile range minimum and recharge in a couple of hours. Until then i would leave it alone. Last thing i want is to push my ride home cos its got a flat battery. At least with petrol you can refill easily.

You would think they could do electric scoots way easier and better performing that the cars by now? Ideally you want an electric scoot that charges thro fold out solar panels when you park and on the garage roof at home then you dont pay a dime for fuel. No way the oil corps would allow that tho  >:(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »
I can not see battery prices coming down as the recources needed to make the batterys are rear electric cars like the nissan leaf still require a lot of oil in there manufacture i think the average car uses 18 barrels of oil to manufature times that by 10 million and you have drained a oil field, i think in a few years most people will be lookind at elec scooters and bikes rather than being able to afford electric cars especialy as we now need to compete for recources with india and china's growing economy. Im not saying the technology will not get better but can not see the price coming down also then there will be demand on the electric grid at a time when energy cost are going through the roof simply because supply strugles to meet demand, we already see this in the uk when energy prices go up every winter but come down slightly when we have a mild winter if demand has not been to high....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:56:13 AM by kisbee »

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »
Sales of electric cars have not been as expected the Leaf has done ok, but range anxiety is still the biggest issue. Chevy Volt or Vx Ampera that can charge themselves is the best soloution. I would want 50 or a weeks commuting so I would only have to charge up at the weekends. How about a hybrid scooter? Small battery to boost acceleration with a motor in the front wheel to aid stability and traction?
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
Sales of electric cars have not been as expected the Leaf has done ok, but range anxiety is still the biggest issue. Chevy Volt or Vx Ampera that can charge themselves is the best soloution. I would want 50 or a weeks commuting so I would only have to charge up at the weekends. How about a hybrid scooter? Small battery to boost acceleration with a motor in the front wheel to aid stability and traction?

This defo sounds like a future project for me :P Im an electrician/electrical engineer so can prob work out the motor and wiring etc pretty easy. Maybe once i clear my feet a bit i'll look into it. We need some way to store the charge from solar during the day so i can charge my scoot at night in the garage for free, or you need 2 sets of batteries, 1 to use and 1 to charge swapping them each night, thats my take on it. That way you have zero fuel bills. If i had a bigger garage and a more patient wife i would start looking for a donor scoot and parts, but i would be a dead man if i brought home more "junk" to fix right now, 2 scoots and a beetle is about her tollerance level  ::)

You being a cop Jezyg maybe you can advise me something? I welded up the holes on my Vespa for the front indicators cos im giving it the older vintage look ( early vespas had no indicators on them), I need some kind of turn signal tho for mot. Do you know if it would be legal to run with only bar end indicators at the front? I have older style rear indicators. Like these? - http://website.lineone.net/~smallframes/blinkerwiring.htm
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()