Author Topic: What could be?  (Read 7344 times)

jezyg

• Agility 50 2011 and SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
    • View Profile
    • UK Police Books
Re: What could be?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
This defo sounds like a future project for me :P Im an electrician/electrical engineer so can prob work out the motor and wiring etc pretty easy. Maybe once i clear my feet a bit i'll look into it. We need some way to store the charge from solar during the day so i can charge my scoot at night in the garage for free, or you need 2 sets of batteries, 1 to use and 1 to charge swapping them each night, thats my take on it. That way you have zero fuel bills. If i had a bigger garage and a more patient wife i would start looking for a donor scoot and parts, but i would be a dead man if i brought home more "junk" to fix right now, 2 scoots and a beetle is about her tollerance level  ::)

You being a cop Jezyg maybe you can advise me something? I welded up the holes on my Vespa for the front indicators cos im giving it the older vintage look ( early vespas had no indicators on them), I need some kind of turn signal tho for mot. Do you know if it would be legal to run with only bar end indicators at the front? I have older style rear indicators. Like these? - http://website.lineone.net/~smallframes/blinkerwiring.htm

Sounds like a plan for a Hybrid bike you just need the solar panels like the ones used to top up heating/electricity on your roof would pretty much supply enough power on a decent day.

Those indicators will be fine there is no legal requirement in the UK for the actual positioning just that they should be orange light and to the front. As long as the indicators have no sharp edges that could injure a pedestrian and will not be obstructed by anything are legal. Think they would meet the MOT requirement as well.
2011 Agility 50
2011 SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Policebooks

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
Cool cheers for that Jezyg. If it fails the mot i'll blame it all on you  :D It was a common mod to do it the 60's & 70's im told by those more informed and older than me. Just need to wait till payday now  :(

Soon as i get free time/space im on the electric project. Hope to have Vespa on the road by march -April then hopefully finish most of the VW over summer-Autumn so maybe look at battery power as next yrs winter project. Now i just need to find a council worker who fits the solar signposts............maybe he may have a few "extra" ones going cheap  ;)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »
Yes you can blame me  ;D But not too much different the the under slung indicators on the older AG, just a slightly different position.

Sounds like a plan the Beetle will be a good one as well, bit of a pig to drive but have such character, no good for me though as I do like my modern comforts and the Mrs is hankering for a Q3 or Evoque late next year.....she had better go and get a job then lol

DIY electic scooter is the way to go, still feel our plonkers are being pulled a bit, yes batteries are expensive but the rest of the kit is pretty cheap and simple. Find an old Sinclair C5 and use parts from that. I reckon you could get a decent glass matt battery in the storage area enough to do a decent hybrid bike????
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »
My beetle was a pleasure to drive, very comfy too. You just need to get used to the gearing on them, its a bit like the gears on a van, ie when to change. I had gas shocks on mine and had altered the suspension so it rode like on rails. All round drum brakes were "fun" tho, i give you that  ;D

If only i could give up work and get on with all the important stuff?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 07:44:24 PM »
My beetle was a pleasure to drive, very comfy too. You just need to get used to the gearing on them, its a bit like the gears on a van, ie when to change. I had gas shocks on mine and had altered the suspension so it rode like on rails. All round drum brakes were "fun" tho, i give you that  ;D

If only i could give up work and get on with all the important stuff?

Sounds much better than the Beetle I drove had to use the gearbox to enhance the breaking, anyway if you own a beetle you own an original Porsche  ;)

Work has bad habit of getting in the way of important stuff!!!
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »
LMAO "enhance the braking"  :D Yeah, been there. Theres a knack to driving them, you just  get used to pulling on the handbrake while you press the pedal in an emergency situation. Its an artform getting it just right so you stop quick without the back locking up, it makes it more fun  ;D Im happy to lose all those electronics and gizmos, less to go wrong.

5 to 8 and im just in from work, been out since 6:45 this morn. I remember watching Tomorrows World as a kid promising in the future we would all be lounging around cos robots and computers would be helping us out? Still waiting for my droid tho? Hmmm, a personal droid? I feel another project coming on !
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
LMAO "enhance the braking"  :D Yeah, been there. Theres a knack to driving them, you just  get used to pulling on the handbrake while you press the pedal in an emergency situation. Its an artform getting it just right so you stop quick without the back locking up, it makes it more fun  ;D Im happy to lose all those electronics and gizmos, less to go wrong.

5 to 8 and im just in from work, been out since 6:45 this morn. I remember watching Tomorrows World as a kid promising in the future we would all be lounging around cos robots and computers would be helping us out? Still waiting for my droid tho? Hmmm, a personal droid? I feel another project coming on !

My poor co-ordination would get in the way of such driving tricks, some days I am amazed I manage to walk in a straight line  ;D

Good old tomorrows world promised us so much and the only one I can remember that did come true is storing music and information on a solid state memory device. TW showed it as a cube that you put into an electronic reader. My robot is called "the wife" just give it a bit of romance and TLC and it's quite a useful device around the home still not as useful as R2D2 though  ;D
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:52 PM »
My robot is called "the wife" just give it a bit of romance and TLC and it's quite a useful device around the home still not as useful as R2D2 though  ;D

Yeah, i got one of them too, mine seems to have a malfunction tho cos it never obeys my instructions and tends to shut down when i mention the word "Sex" ?
I may need to trade it in for a newer model if i cant get it re-programmed   :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()