Author Topic: What could be?  (Read 7353 times)

jezyg

• Agility 50 2011 and SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
    • View Profile
    • UK Police Books
What could be?
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
Every time I take my scooter in the rain and then don't use it for 48hours it is an absolute pig to start. To the point I have to use a hairdryer and some WD40 to it to start. Never a problem if used the next day starts first time?????? Today even after using the hair dryer it would not start until I used the kick starter then it roared into life but was over revving. Switched it off for a few mins and restarted and everything was back to normal.

Could this be the auto by starter? It does seem to be coming from somewhere around the carb area by virtue of warming that area and a wee bit of WD40 and it will start and is definitely moisture related, as the cold is not a problem and starts first time. Have it booked in for warranty work on Sat.

Loosing a little faith in the bike now as this has happened a few times, may well go for a Gilera Runner in Sept.
2011 Agility 50
2011 SEAT Leon FR TSi 211
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Policebooks

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: What could be?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
Every time I take my scooter in the rain and then don't use it for 48hours it is an absolute pig to start. To the point I have to use a hairdryer and some WD40 to it to start. Never a problem if used the next day starts first time?????? Today even after using the hair dryer it would not start until I used the kick starter then it roared into life but was over revving. Switched it off for a few mins and restarted and everything was back to normal.

Could this be the auto by starter? It does seem to be coming from somewhere around the carb area by virtue of warming that area and a wee bit of WD40 and it will start and is definitely moisture related, as the cold is not a problem and starts first time. Have it booked in for warranty work on Sat.

Loosing a little faith in the bike now as this has happened a few times, may well go for a Gilera Runner in Sept.

Strange ??? My inlet manifold had a leak before and i had similair symptoms? Was a cut in the pipe between carb and engine. Mine starts fije in rain or dry. Are you sure you have a fully charged battery? Did it kick and start right away but wont electric start?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
Strange ??? My inlet manifold had a leak before and i had similair sy
mptoms? Was a cut in the pipe between carb and engine. Mine starts fije in rain or dry. Are you sure ayou have a fully charged battery? Did it kick and start right away but wont electric start

Interesting will have a look at that one! Engine turns over fine just feels like no fuel or spark? Kickstarted ss ws concious of draining the battery hence kick starting and after  few kicks it burdt into life???? Engine turns over fine but was worried
2011 Agility 50

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
If you can kick start it fine I would just say its the battery.But yet check the intake and out take to the carb and make sure they are on tight and no air geting threw theam. I dont like that word warrenty
been there done that just make sure to be strong and make sure they make it warrenty work and no extras kymco is good at that.  Good luck.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:17:35 PM »
Interesting will have a look at that one! Engine turns over fine just feels like no fuel or spark? Kickstarted ss ws concious of draining the battery hence kick starting and after  few kicks it burdt into life???? Engine turns over fine but was worried

May be just due to the cold? Mine usually fires up less than a second after trying but the last month or so it does take longer when its real cold ouside. Always starts tho, even if it sits for a week unstarted and my scoot lives outside in my garden with a tarp on it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »
also if its cold wear you are try keeping a 100 watt light next to the scoot for a little wormth it works.
thats if its in a shed.  But useing your scoot as a scarecrow in the garden not good  ;D just kiding there
jezyg.

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
@(jezyg) How many miles have you put on your scoot so far as i dont think yours is that much older than mine i still only have 2200km on mine but hope i dont start having problems as i put more miles on mine, i have no warranty as i done my own first service which i know was a gamble, so far all has been ok touch wood but i have not used it much this winter try to use my push bike as much as possible to keep the miles down but when i move home in a few months will have to rely on agility as work will be a 30 mile round trip and buses are 2 hours apart i may have to think of a second scoot for back up....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:31:31 PM »
@(jezyg) How many miles have you put on your scoot so far as i dont think yours is that much older than mine i still only have 2200km on mine but hope i dont start having problems as i put more miles on mine, i have no warranty as i done my own first service which i know was a gamble, so far all has been ok touch wood but i have not used it much this winter try to use my push bike as much as possible to keep the miles down but when i move home in a few months will have to rely on agility as work will be a 30 mile round trip and buses are 2 hours apart i may have to think of a second scoot for back up....

Just to say kisbee, kymcos are a lot better than most cheap scoots, they are pretty reliable, def far more reliable than other cheap import and  chinese scoots. Regular oil changes and maintain & service it and you should have little bother. When\if you do have problems its usually sokething simple and cheap to fix, course there will be exceptions.

Jezgy did u make sure your cdi/battery box isnt full of water? Mine seals ok and i got my checkerplate floor too but some folk say their battery box leaks in water thro the door on the footplate. Worth a quick look.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »

I have 1400KM on mine now. I did have a good look and found to possible issues, firstly the fuel pipe had a slight kink in it and the oil level was at minimum. I also found a rubber grommet loose on the back of the carb. It is bizzare though that starts fine even on a cold morning as is stored in the garage with the car. Get it wet and than becomes a pain. I will be on the push bike as well probably March time but I only have a 10 mile round trip.

Did check the battery contacts and CDi and are all fine bright and shiny blasted with some hot air and WD40 for good measure. The battery box should really have a rubber grommet around it IMO. Thanks for all the tips  ;D
2011 Agility 50

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »
(streido) i know what you mean about chinnese scoots before my kymco i had the peugeot kisbee chinnese built and you could tell it had many faults and poor build quality i only had it just over 6 months from new, After reading many reviews i decided to go with kymco as i could not afford another bad buy and it turned out a good buy and 2 months later my wife got the agility rs125 again has been totaly reliable... (jezyg) my oil level also dropped near min at 2000km so i topped it up i also noticed the little pipe that runs under the air filter was getting full so i took the plug/stopper off and let it drain out have you checked yours. my agility usualy starts without throttle (90 percent of the time) i just press the starter for about 2-3 seconds and it fires up it actually seems to start a little quicker the colder it is which im putting down to the auto choke putting itself fully on just hope im not speaking to soon.....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »
Yeah from the stories ive heard all those chinese scoots have real bad electrics usually that tend to stop working as soon as you breath on them  :D

I ran my kymco just over a year now, 2008 model i got with 9,000 km on it. Now a yr later it has 19,000+ and hasnt given me any real bother, just passed its mot last week and sailed thro without needing anything done  :)

Only prob i had was a bad volt rectifier/regulator and the inlet manifold but the manifold was my fault cos i overtightened the clip to hold it on i think. No major prob yet, fingers crossed.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »
(streido) i know what you mean about chinnese scoots before my kymco i had the peugeot kisbee chinnese built and you could tell it had many faults and poor build quality i only had it just over 6 months from new, After reading many reviews i decided to go with kymco as i could not afford another bad buy and it turned out a good buy and 2 months later my wife got the agility rs125 again has been totaly reliable... (jezyg) my oil level also dropped near min at 2000km so i topped it up i also noticed the little pipe that runs under the air filter was getting full so i took the plug/stopper off and let it drain out have you checked yours. my agility usualy starts without throttle (90 percent of the time) i just press the starter for about 2-3 seconds and it fires up it actually seems to start a little quicker the colder it is which im putting down to the auto choke putting itself fully on just hope im not speaking to soon.....

Cheers for that Kisbee I will check it! The bike seems to be running better this morning after adding some oil and sorting out the fuel line back to its normal self!! Been meaning to ask Kisbee performance wise how your Speedflight 3 compared to your AG 50? The liquid cooled 50 engines are supposed to rev higher and be a bit perkier but are all 2 stroke so a more narrow powerband.
2011 Agility 50

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »
Yeah from the stories ive heard all those chinese scoots have real bad electrics usually that tend to stop working as soon as you breath on them  :D

I ran my kymco just over a year now, 2008 model i got with 9,000 km on it. Now a yr later it has 19,000+ and hasnt given me any real bother, just passed its mot last week and sailed thro without needing anything done  :)

Only prob i had was a bad volt rectifier/regulator and the inlet manifold but the manifold was my fault cos i overtightened the clip to hold it on i think. No major prob yet, fingers crossed.

The Kymco's weak area is the mainly the electrics, if they just used better quality contacts or insulated them better issues would be lessened. Our climate is the worst in the wold for anything electrical and mechanical. The moisture coupled with the salt on the roads can cause nightmares. Since Christmas rust has appeared in various places on my bike......but for the price you have to make allowances they are not expensive bikes and mechanically are well made and a good engine.
2011 Agility 50

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
The Kymco's weak area is the mainly the electrics, if they just used better quality contacts or insulated them better issues would be lessened. Our climate is the worst in the wold for anything electrical and mechanical. The moisture coupled with the salt on the roads can cause nightmares. Since Christmas rust has appeared in various places on my bike......but for the price you have to make allowances they are not expensive bikes and mechanically are well made and a good engine.

Where is the rust starting? I didnt expect rust issues so soon after you bought it? My 2008 has little rust on it, just a bit on the frame under the seat but not much and its just surface rust. Apart from that some panel screws and my stand its holding up well. I think. Must say i have found my electrics ok, seems not bad quality. All connections etc are good and no bad crimps or joints, none i found so far anyway.
On the speedfights, i had a speedfight 1 100cc 2 stroke which i got cheap (well free actually) and rebuilt with a view to selling the a50. After riding the speedfight i decided tp keep my a50. Maybe the newer ones are better but my 100cc one only gave me around an extra 5-10mph, tho it was a little better uphill, so i decided it wasnt worth the expense of doing my test. It wasnt liquid cooler either so maybe the new 50's are better. Get a geared Vespa if you want real quality.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:58:56 AM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

jezyg

• View Profile
    • UK Police Books
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
Where is the rust starting? I didnt expect rust issues so soon after you bought it? My 2008 has little rust on it, just a bit on the frame under the seat but not much and its just surface rust. Apart from that some panel screws and my stand its holding up well. I think. Must say i have found my electrics ok, seems not bad quality. All connections etc are good and no bad crimps or joints, none i found so far anyway.
On the speedfights, i had a speedfight 1 100cc 2 stroke which i got cheap (well free actually) and rebuilt with a view to selling the a50. After riding the speedfight i decided tp keep my a50. Maybe the newer ones are better but my 100cc one only gave me around an extra 5-10mph, tho it was a little better uphill, so i decided it wasnt worth the expense of doing my test. It wasnt liquid cooler either so maybe the new 50's are better. Get a geared Vespa if you want real quality.

My headlight was awfully put together and had to be replaced cheap metal contacts and plastic made the problem worse with it arcing and melting the holder . The battery box needs a rubber grommet around and better splash protection at the back of the carb and just better quality wire. As for rust top of my forks inside the front cowling, also on the downpipe around the VIN plate. At the back some around the engine mounts and stand. Odd bit's of tarnish on the odd bolt but then that is expected, as soon as the better weather comes around I will splash some black hammerite on and clean off any tarnish. I wash it once a week sometimes more if it has been out in the wet and salt. My exhaust has no rust on it at all so the waxing and cleaning seems to of worked so far........

The interesting thing about the Vespa is the chassis is pretty much the same as the Gilera Runner and NRG all being Piaggio, they all use various Piaggio engines the water cooled two stroke with front and rear discs being the top of the range 50cc and the engine I am looking at. You pay for a much built better body and less plastic. The dealer I got my Kymco from is now a Vespa dealer so may well have a look although Gilera Runner SP50 is still top of my list if I decide to change in Sept. Depends if the extra performance is worth it or not as will be a 1K jump....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:51:35 AM by jezyg »
2011 Agility 50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()