Author Topic: It Happened Again  (Read 1178 times)

fshfindr

• View Profile
It Happened Again
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
Police said a 25 year old man on a motorcycle tried to avoid a 2009 Toyota that pulled out of a Wawa on front of him.  The motorcyclist slid, hit the back of the car and a light pole.  He was pronounced dead a short time later.  This happened at 11:23 pm in the Port Richmond section of Phila.  If it is not a left turner, it's a car pulling out without seeing you.  I don't do too much big city driving where you are going along a row of parked cars, but if I see a driver in a car, I use the horn.  This car was coming out of a parking lot but I bet he was looking in front of his car, not into the traffic line he was entering.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

blue

• View Profile
Re: It Happened Again
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
feel sorry for him and his famly. us scooter need to give the cars and trucks more space they are bigger then us.

CommuterScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
Tragic all the way around. :-[ 
09 Xciting 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:18:29 AM »
This is another sad tragedy, and no one deserves to have this happen to them. Did they mention if the rider had a helmet or not? I've never understood PA's lack of a helmet law.

-Wolf

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »
As you know Wolf, no helmet required in Phila.  No mention of helmet in the paper.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »
ALl too true. A few years ago I remember watching a Harley rider in the summer in Philly. He was wearing shorts, a Bermuda shirt, flip-flops and no helmet. I can only imagine that he was single, with no immediate family who would be
turned into accidental caregivers in the event he survived a crash with life long injuries.

Sorry -- venting. Riding without a helmet is one of my peeves.

-Wolf

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
Yesterday a Skoda driver ran over a guy on scoot waiting on the read light.
Scooter driver was laying on the asphalt with his head on the curb side and a traffic cop on his side.
The cop called ambulance, they were a mile down the road and came in minutes. Scooterist was conscious, but obviously badly broken. No blood though.

Btw. Skoda drivers, for our American friends who do not have the pleasure of meeting them on the road, are in my country just like "elderly people of East Asian descent with chronic myopia driving their cars around" in USA, if I understand the local folklore correctly...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
I did a high side over the handlebars on a small scooter doing about 40 a few years ago.  I had my modular helmet on and took on the chin.  Had I not been wearing a helmet I beleive I would have been drinking my dinner through a straw.  I hate to think of the worst.

Wearing or not wearing helmets could be a topic for a whole forum in and of itself.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
Good idea. Glad to hear you're alive, well and I hope eating normally.

-Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()