Author Topic: First impressions of my People 200 S  (Read 3161 times)

people200S

• View Profile
First impressions of my People 200 S
« on: January 30, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
I just purchased a used 2008 People 200 S with 1300 miles and I'm loving it. I'm a student in Athens GA and in a few days have put about 100 miles on it with great first impressions. A few thoughts:

- The thing is gorgeous. Parked in the UGA scooter/motorcycle sections, it stands out like a shiny jewel.
- It flies. I weight ~200 pounds and it'll shoot up to 60 mph on level ground no problem (indicates ~65 - 70 on the speedo, but I'm assuming that's a little optimistic).
- It corners great with those fat (for a scoot) 100 front and 120 rear tires.

Overall I couldn't be happier with this bike and feel like I'm lucky to have found it. I find myself giddy with the thought of riding every morning. A few minor, MINOR issues that should be easy fixes:

- The rear drum brake squeaks, but this seems to happen on most scoots. Currently figuring out a solution.
- Like the last poster commented, the ride is a tad harsh. Could be the settings, could be too much tire pressure.
- Very early mileage is a little on the low side: I travelled 68 miles on 1.2 gallons for the first measurement.
- Not very much under seat storage, but I plan on getting a top case soon.

Overall I would highly recommend this scooter for anyone who wants some punch around town and perhaps some very short freeway stints. Purchased mine for $1600 and after talking with the local scooter shop guys, I think I got somewhat of a deal.

MrKymco

• View Profile
Re: First impressions of my People 200 S
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
its a sharp looking scoot. my dealer had one about a year ago he was selling for $2500 because he got it cheap from a dealer which closed down. said he was having a hard time selling it because of the color. same as yours, but we couldn't understand it because we thought it looked great. like a "jewel" as you said. i think the bike needed to be outside in the bright sun to set the paint off. just looked sort of flat in the showroom

but sure good scoot, there. and $1600  with just 1300 miles? yeah, fair deal both ways. its "like new" and this scooter need not go lower in price. enjoy the scoot and sell it for $1200 when finished. or even $1000. either way you just bought a good investment as well as a  scooter. even if you resell for $800 one day you would have gotten your invested $800 worth of scoot over the course of just a year, much less a few. this will serve you well, this purchase

congrats and enjoy the scoot!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:20:23 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

Swordsman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Ha, I believe his love was more of a fling. This bike is for sale on Craigslist right now.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2868811180.html

~SM

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
I purchased a new Kymco People S200 (Red) in 2005 (1st year it came to the States) Kept her til' 2009 & traded it in for a new Suzuki TU-250X motorcycle (big mistake) I had a little over 5,000 miles on her & she never gave a problem with the exception of a bad speedometer cable. I just sold my Suzuki (in-trade) for a new Kymco GT300i scooter. Nothing wrong with the Suzuki, just that I missed my S200!

The People S200 will give you miles of great scootering! That 163cc (GY6) air coooled engine & is almost bullet-proof! I live in New England & my wife & I own a home, but no garage. When Winter came, I would bundle-up the S200 with my scooter cover & a couple of tarps. Also...Keep it off the ground w/ some wood & still would have it on a battery tender float charge. Please keep in mind I used Stabil & StarTron ethanol treatments with every fill-up. Guess what? Come Spring, I would uncover her & pull the ignition switch & she would start usually on the 1st pull. Simply an amazing simple engine!

Blue was never my favorite choice (Kymco offered Black, Red, Blue & Silver) in the S200. Blue isn't bad, just that I love Red! Also...I like the Silver rims! Today black rims are the rage, I'll take silver rims everytime.

Good Luck!

Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()