Author Topic: Rediculous  (Read 2622 times)

bilyum

• Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Rediculous
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
Does anyone here besides myself find it a little ridiculous that there approximately 18 models of KYMCO scooters.
We saw what happened to mfg's that produced too many models in the past. They got sloppy and started producing junk.
I have had my Super 8 less than a month and see that They are making a throw away scooter.When they make it almost impossible to repair them ,don't even produce a repair manual, almost make you remove the engine to get to tail light lamp.
So they turn out bucoos of them in Taiwan ,so what? I bet a Taiwanese person probably can get it serviced for $2.Which it is more like$90 USA bucks for same service. Most in the USA would service their own ,that is why no repair manual. I am not talking about owner manual with tire pressures etc. It would be more realistic for them to produce 9 models and be quality scooters than18 throw away models.
Oh well, jes an opinion not necessarily based on fact!
Later
bilyum

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Rediculous
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »
I'm sure there's a service manual for the Super8. You need to get in touch with someone at a reputable Kymco dealership and have them order it (~$20). If you get the run-around at your local dealer, call around to others around the country. You're likely to find one somewhere that will put it on a USB drive for you (that you arrange to send to them, post-paid), and maybe for very little. The dealers have access to all the service manuals through the dealer area on the web site, in PDF format.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
The only headache in my opinion is removing/replacing all the plastic bits (w/o breaking tabs ect) If you want easy access just remove (2) bolts, throttle cable, un-plug the harness, and set the engine on the coffee table. It don't get much easier. Ps... What they said.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Yeah, they control the manuals because it's part of the deal with the scooter dealers.  If you sell our scooters, we will only give you the manuals, so people that buy the scooters have to get the scooter serviced at the dealer and the dealer makes more money on servicing. But you can find some shops that will order and sell you the printed manual. I've posted a place that does sell them.  I'm all for making the engineers that design stuff build it themselves until it's perfect so they see how difficult it is to work on their design.

Not true I have not found one kymco dealer yet that well repair the scoot . they should be called sales men not dealers. all they do is sale the scoot then ounce its out of there hands its most likely for you to find someone to work on it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:32 PM »
Agreed Biue! Tooooo many sales outlets. but not enough TRAINED service centers. Just keep them pumping OUT the door. Worst part is they are So f'n simple to work on. (aside from those damn plastics)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:45 PM »
Forgot to mention how many are fixed here w/o even SEEING them. Rock onnnnn Woooooooo!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:55:14 AM »
 (aside from those damn plastics)/quote]

Take it off and Ride naked. ;D ;D ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 02:51:03 AM »
That's what happened to the Verucci. 4t Same QMB139 engine as the rest. The zx is cooler w/ the plastic.IMHO... Maybe the agility body could be glassed into 1 or 2 sections. ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! They sell more bits by cutting it into 100 bits. Just agreeing w/ Billyum's post. Multiple the 18 models by 40 or so available producers, They are all the same scoot! Just more refined by some. Kymco is pretty good at it but there is of course better. Then you get what you pay for. Buy Honda! Better resale.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »
That's what happened to the Verucci. 4t Same QMB139 engine as the rest. The zx is cooler w/ the plastic.IMHO... Maybe the agility body could be glassed into 1 or 2 sections. ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! They sell more bits by cutting it into 100 bits. Just agreeing w/ Billyum's post. Multiple the 18 models by 40 or so available producers, They are all the same scoot! Just more refined by some. Kymco is pretty good at it but there is of course better. Then you get what you pay for. Buy Honda! Better resale.

True that.........But I do know a few hondas that broke down befor my kymco. like the Ruckus they dont last long.They came out with the ruck in 03 and not very many stell running.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
I bought a super 8 a little over a year ago.  The dealer downloaded the service manual onto a CD for me.  I ride it almost every day and have nearly 5000 miles on it.  I had a couple of minor problems with which the dealer quickly took care of under warrantee.  Getting under the plastic to access stuff seems to be a common problem on scooters.  So far I have only changed oil, the spark plug and checked the valve clearances.  All of those are pretty simple on the super 8.  I'll soon find out how easy it is to change the belt.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »
of course sales is what it is all about.......excessive models are a function of the number of country s (over 150)....kymco sells scooters....but i agree...to many models not enough outlets is a recipe for problems......they are called dealers...interesting choice of words......they supply the product (much like  a drug dealer).....we get hooked ....their job is to get you to keep coming back.....having an array of new products/models....is part of the allure/ equation...once they have your money ....its off to the next prospect

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
I'm getting ready to plop down some $$$ for an Xciting 500 w/abs.  I wouldn't have bought it had I not had faith in my dealership for both competency of repair and availablility of parts.  They've been in business as a Kymco dealership going on 9 years and I've been getting my scooters serviced with them since 05..

My prior scoot was a SYM and even though I still have it, the availablility of parts is questionable.  It can be serviced locally at the above mentioned dealership but if it was to break down on the road I expect full-well that I would have been renting a u-haul to bring it home.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
thats great that your dealer can work on your scoot.Im learning the hard way the next time I buy a scoot from a dealer Im going to make sure they can work on the bikes they sale.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 09:55:06 PM »
of course sales is what it is all about.......excessive models are a function of the number of country s (over 150)....kymco sells scooters....but i agree...to many models not enough outlets is a recipe for problems......they are called dealers...interesting choice of words......they supply the product (much like  a drug dealer).....we get hooked ....their job is to get you to keep coming back.....having an array of new products/models....is part of the allure/ equation...once they have your money ....its off to the next prospect

The better dealers don't just take your money and head off to the next prospect.  They take care of you because they want your repeat business.  I consider both the dealer I bought my Kymco from as well as the dealer I bought my Aprilia from to be outstanding dealers. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
Hmmm, I agree that it is too hard to find a service manual, but other than that I have not had too much trouble with stuff.
I paid $1600 for my Super 8 150 and did not expect much, but have found it to be a great scooter for the price.
I had a Vespa ET4 and found it more difficult to work on than the Kymco.
With the internet, you can usually find the answers you need without a full manual.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()