Author Topic: yet another oil question  (Read 1960 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
yet another oil question
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
My question is about oils/motor scooter oils/ motorcycle oils.

I keep reading over and over that ONLY motorcycle oils should be used in scooters and motorcycles because they contain anti foaming agents.

This does not totally make sense to me because 4 cylinder car engines rev to high rpm s.

I am considering a motorscooter on the 300-350cc class for myself.
Right now I ride a Yamaha sport bike.

My wife has an Aprilia 200 that I have been using Rotella T6 5w-40 in.  

Over the last six or seven years I have read many articles on oil boards, actually till i`m blue in the face. Read it all.
The reason for my interest is i`m a cyclist and have owned motorcycles all my life.

I guess what i`m seeking here is advice and first hand experience from scooter owners who have used non "motorcycle speficic" oils in their scoots long term and the results.

Does anyone know if the Rotella T6 has anti foaming agents in it and what is your opinion of using it in a motor scooter?.

thanks boo
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:42:34 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

juice

• View Profile
Re: yet another oil question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
I don't belive the anti foaming is the only pertainent difference , the motorcycle specific oils have special friction modifiers for the wet clutch lubrication . Most modern scooters have a CVT than dosn't require those additives . The motorcycle specific oils won't damage the scooter motor , but are not needed and they are usually more expensive . Make sure to use the correct weight specified by the manufacturer . Good luck .

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
I don't belive the anti foaming is the only pertainent difference , the motorcycle specific oils have special friction modifiers for the wet clutch lubrication . Most modern scooters have a CVT than dosn't require those additives . The motorcycle specific oils won't damage the scooter motor , but are not needed and they are usually more expensive . Make sure to use the correct weight specified by the manufacturer . Good luck .

I understand about friction modifiers and wet vs dry clutch thing.
Mostly what i`m concerned about is the "anti foaming" thing.

I am trying to get feed back from scooter owners who have used oils without the anti foam additive, " which most motorcycle specific oils do have", over a long period of time and the results, good, or bad.
Most oils, including high grade dino and synthetic car oils do NOT have the anti foam additive.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:38:13 PM by boo »
300GTI black

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
Axiom 1. ANY oil is better than NO oil.

Axiom 2. YOUR opinion counts more than anyone else.

Axiom 3. Take all others' opinions with a grain of salt. See if there is a trend then do what you think is best. Use the correct viscosity as per the manufacturer.

Discussions about what is the "best" oil will usually wind up in a draw just like the discussions about what octane of fuel to use and why some use "high octane". It is more opinion than fact or more sales promotion ho-ha than fact.

Fact 1. Octane requirements were worked out by the airplane engine guys before 1930: The higher you go the less octane number you need. That's why in Wyoming you hardly can find any 87 r+m/2, you find 85.

Fact 2. Octane requirements increase with compression ratio and manifold pressure. Manifold pressure reduces with  elevation.     
           See Fact 1. Ground engines with super or turbo chargers will generally require higher octane rated fuel. Naturally               aspirated piston engines generally DO NOT require higher octane fuels and will generally perform more poorly on such.

Fact 3. Others here and elsewhere have pointed out that most of our gas stations put the same gas in all three tanks most of the time.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »
Another base line FACT: I have had all types of engines in my life, and used all sorts of oils. I have NEVER had a broken engine due to "bad" or wrong type of oil. Some perform better in high rpm engines, some last longer ect. You may be chasing your tail on this one. For the record... Any full synthetic is better than Dino oil. IMHO
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »
Any full synthetic is better than Dino oil. IMHO

..what oil would you recommend to break in a new cylinder and piston?..

..i'm putting a kit on my ppl50...

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »
A 4t people? Castrol syntec is the only oil I use. Have since it came out in the early 80's. I know everyone will scream at me about "break in oils", and such buttttt. There is no such thing as too little friction in an engine full of all types of alloys. When I just broke in my 50mm 4t kit it did take longer than I would have liked (approx 200 miles before the rings quieted) but it runs like a sewing machine now. I believe more in FRESH oil than whats in it. Moto X'ers I change every day. Cars/boats I change when the oil gets coffee color (still see thru) scoots I do the same. Not miles or time but the condition of the oil. Castrol Syntec. 10w 30 for stock machines, and straight 30w for hi output hi heat, and 20w50 for racing engines. 2t oil I use Golden spectro.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
Straight 30w is whats in the 139QMB

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
A 4t people?

..no bro, itsa 2t..lol..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »

boo

• View Profile
thanks for the replys but
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
no one answered my two main questions.

1 Does Rotella T6 contain anti foaming agents ?

2 Do motor scooter and motorcycle engines need the anti foaming agents to be properly protected ?
300GTI black

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »
You are right, boo! We did not answer your two basic questions! I do not know about the Rotella. I do know I have used Castrol Syntec full synthetic oil in all four of our scoots and it is "car" oil and have had no problems. The oil bottles do not say anything about anti-foaming.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Perhaps your questions would be more appropriately directed here: www.shell.com/home/content/rotella . Good luck .

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:52:18 PM »
A lot of people out there are using Rotella in their motorcycles and scooters.  I have not heard of any problems.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

blue

• View Profile
Re: thanks for the replys but
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
no one answered my two main questions.

1 Does Rotella T6 contain anti foaming agents ?

2 Do motor scooter and motorcycle engines need the anti foaming agents to be properly protected ?

1 read the bottle it should tell you.
2 no anti foaming is more for the bigger bikes 600 and bigger but dont need it .its manly for keeping valvles clean and free of dirt. its manly your choice if you want it or not.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()