Author Topic: Magic Blinkers installed on rear  (Read 3593 times)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Magic Blinkers installed on rear
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:36:25 AM »
I'd like to thank JustWantToRide for mentioning these in earlier posts.  How are these working for the rest of you guys who installed them?  I put them in the other day and am very happy with the operation.  I did replace the rear blinker lamp OEMs with red LEDs before this. 

I got an item called "Add-a-circuit" at a local auto parts store.  It goes in place of any 10w fuse and has an additional fuse and wire coming off of it.  I used that to power the Magic Blinkers.  Pushed it into the 10w ignition circuit fuse socket.  I used a 3w fuse in the Magic circuit but can go up if it blows.  The Add-a-circuit came with several fuses of various wattage.

Ran the grounds of the Magics straight to the battery ground.  Thus, I only had to cut 2 wires in my harness. 

Oh by the way, I don't think my 4 way flashers work now. 
They don't give you much wire with the magics so one of them wound up sitting right on top of the battery.  Anyone think this will be a problem? 

Anyway, it is very nice to have all red lit up across the back of the scooter.  I think the Xciting's rear light assembly is just made for this look!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:39:28 AM by Hoolander2 »

jan.strydom

• View Profile
Re: Magic Blinkers installed on rear
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
 a pic please :)

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
I used the "BackOFF XP Brake Light Signal Module".  My brake light flashes 3 times then goes steady.  It complies with NJ law and works great.  The guy behind me can't miss it.  Also, easy to install.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
pic would be nice too!

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:41 AM »
pic would be nice too!
  I don't know how to take a pic that blinks.  I guess we'd have to call it a blinkin pic. :)
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:26:19 AM »
Hey, Munks.  What's different now is the lamps that are the blinkers are on all the time.  When you turn on the blinker, then it blinks.   You could leave in the stock bulbs but I did away with those and put in bright red leds.   

By the way, I had to leave the cover off the fuse box since the "Add a Circuit" sticks out too far.  Actually, I couldn't even leave the fuse box mounted on the battery box as normal -- it's just laying beside it for now.  Will work out something.

Yeah, sorry no picture yet.  I'll get some though.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:46:49 AM by Hoolander2 »

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
To insert a video use the "Insert Hyperlink" button to the right of the "Insert Image" button.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=230024330395754#w716-h403

You're welcome.   ;)
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
That's cool, I like it. Good idea. Much easier to see. I kinda wonder if the older models can handle the extra draw on the battery.

The carb'd models actually have a little extra juice available because the EFI draws a few amps (as does the ABS on ABS models).  I would still switch to all LED's and an LED blinker module.  Not all LED's are the same.  These are the LED's in the video http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=OTHER&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FBAU15S-x18-T.htm
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »
Yes, great link!  Thanks JWTR.

superseagulls

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:28:53 PM »
Just a quick question to Hoolander or Justwanttoride,

Did you need to use the load equalizers suggested in their diagram:

http://www.customled.com/products/load_equalizer/load_equalizer.htm

to ensure the LED's flashed at the correct rate?

I'm planning to do the full upgrade with super Bright LED's, and hope to get everything right before cutting things up!

Thanks!

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
Don't use load equalizers - they work by creating more resistance so your LED's will use as much electricity as a regular bulb (and are more work to add in).  Replace the blinker module with an LED module and it is a plain plug and play change - and you get the benefit of using less electricity.

I also wouldn't recommend majicblinkers with the standard bulbs because the housings may get too hot (I don't know for sure).
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 05:59:23 AM »
No I did not put in load equalizers so I do have the very fast blink rate with them.  I actually like that now.  Yeah I'd do as JWTR says and get the led style blinker module if you want it to blink normally.  Mine are still working on that 3 watt fuse but I guess that depends on the draw for the particular led lamps you get -- and also if you run all four corners on the same circuit which I suppose I would.  I still haven't cleaned up my installation.  Fuse box still hanging open.  :P  Of course if you just tap hot wires like they instruct, you wouldn't be adding any fuse.

superseagulls

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!

Do you need to remove the fairing to change out the indicator relay? (there is just one isn't there to cover both sides)?

I am going to order the parts up, and the only thing i'm semi worried about, is getting to the relay to change it out for the superbrightleds one for LED's.

I am going to add (for the record - in case anyone else wants a full shopping list):
Bulbs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FBAU15S-x18-T.htm

Relay / Flasher: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html%23flasher The "LF1-S-FLAT: Universal Motorcycle Flasher" type.

Magic Blinkers: http://www.customled.com/products/magic_blinker/magic_blinker.htm

Rear Brake light modulator: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Flsc-100a.htm

Help with relay question greatly appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:01:32 PM by superseagulls »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
I can't answer about the flasher since I haven't done mine. 

I'd get bulbs that have leds pointing out radially as well as straight out so you'll take advangage of the scooter's reflective bulb housings.

Good luck and keep us posted.  ;)

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »
You may be able to remove the flasher without removing the fairing - but I had the fairing off when I did mine.  Turn the key on, turn a blinker on - and listen and feel for the clicking.  If I remember it's on the right hand side - up high on the steering stem.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()