Author Topic: Throttle jammed  (Read 1062 times)

xlewisbdx

• View Profile
Throttle jammed
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
Hello guys, my first post here so sorry if its in the wrong section.

I have a 09 Kymco agility 125 and when ever the weather goes zero or below the throttle always freezes. I just wanted to know if this is normal or not?

I was riding last night went to break and the bike just carried on going because it had froze. I had to turn the key to stop. I wake up this morning and the throttle is still stuck and it is above zero degrees. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Lewis

fshfindr

• View Profile
Re: Throttle jammed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »
It has to be frozen grease somewhere in the throttle system.  Someone will come on with good advice.  Lacking that, I'd wipe clean the entire system right to the carb. or FI starting with the throttle control.  Then probably a dry lube that won't freeze.  This advice is good only if no one comes up with a better solution.  I like WD40.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:44:53 AM »
Disconnect the cable at the carb end. Take it OUT of tha slide/cap. It should feel silky smooth. If not replace it. I have had dozens of cables un-ravel inside the sheath. The strands will eventually grab on leaving you at who knows what throttle Pos. when it does break. Since you have a problem NOW, I suggest you head it all off, and replace it. This link has a few items for cables. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/197/12512/ITEM/PJ1-Cable-Lube.aspx   I personally don't use anything on cables. Oil/grease/graphite all hold dirt. SILKY smooth is the key. If not toss it. Ps. all new cables have a Teflon liner that requires NO lubricant.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »
I stand corrected.  Although, WD40 IMHO is a dry lube. 

Richard L.

Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
It is not frozen grease, it is lack of grease and frozen moisture.

Happened every time to my gf's A125, both in the throttle cable AND rear brake.

You should disconnect them and jam between cable and insulator any type of grease, until it starts coming out on the other end of the line.

Put it all back together and you will never again have that problem.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()