Author Topic: 2008 for my son.  (Read 7894 times)

OregonDad

• View Profile
2008 for my son.
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »
Hi all,

My son has been asking for a scooter for his 16th birthday this month, and my in-laws gave him their 2008 Agility 50 today.  It has 6050Km on it and has some cosmetic body damage from sliding on gravel.  The original seat hinge was busted when broken into, but my father-in-law replaced it with a brand new seat.  He also said the oil and spark plug both need changed, so I will need some guidance for that.  I plan to leave it restricted until summer since he is only going to be driving to and from high school.  After school is out for the year we can notch the cdi for safer speeds on 40mph roads.

For now, what is best to use for cleaning up the plastic and metal body parts?

Thanks,

OregonDad
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:41:09 AM by OregonDad »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 for my son.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:33:27 AM »
Notching the cdi wont derestrict it, you need to replace the drive boss for a smooth one, and fit an 82 main jet in the carb instead of stock 80 size. Cdi cut is optional, i did it on my 2008 tho.

I just use car wax and polish on my scoot and back to black type plastic moisturiser on the black plastics every month or 2. Spark plug and oil change are both simple jobs so if you can use a spanner and socket you should be fine.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
A good buffer will make easy work on the waxing. Use 3m RESTORER wax. It has a compound in it to remove the oxidized layer of paint. This is a marine wax so it will last about a year on the road. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GS0GCNRWYWbeH8PTZGX97Rgl
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Variable-Speed-Electric-Car-Polisher-Buffer-NEW-/170684127452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bd9118dc
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:29 AM »
good choice of scoot. teach him safty and how to ride the scoot right.becarefull with the front brakes so he wont go head over heels. go slow and easy tell he can hadle it good. Have fun there kid.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
Notching the CDI is the simplest thing to do and replacing the drive boss to a smooth one is very simple also ( you will need to borrow an impact wrench tho ).Other than that and maybe an #82 main jet is all you can do to improve speed.You will have people on here telling you to replace this and that but dont bother. I've done it all and frustrated the hell out of myself for almost no gain. These 50cc scoots are for enjoyment so dont let it become an obsession to reach an unreachable speed. Happy scooting and we'll see you around the forums I'm sure.....Dale    P.S. I'll be moving up to the Agility 125 forum as soon as the weather breaks

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
You will have people on here telling you to replace this and that but dont bother. I've done it all and frustrated the hell out of myself for almost no gain. These 50cc scoots are for enjoyment so dont let it become an obsession to reach an unreachable speed.

There are many other things you can do to get another 5-10 mph if you want to put in the time and have the patience but fine tuning is a long slow process, sometimes you go back before you go forwards. No 2 scoots are exactly the same so what works for one may not be perfect for others. Still 45mph on flats is possible as is getting over 50 downhill, there is video proof to show it done.

For me tuning is fun, not frustrating, but i admit at times you wish you never started. Once yoy get a few mph extra tho it makes up for it. Its all down to what you want from it and how you plan to use the scoot. For me its just a big boys toy to play about on and get to work, if you have no time or need or are not mechanically experienced i would stick with just the boss, 82 jet and cdi. Realstically after that you should get 42mph at least.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »
You will have people on here telling you to replace this and that but dont bother. I've done it all and frustrated the hell out of myself for almost no gain. These 50cc scoots are for enjoyment so dont let it become an obsession to reach an unreachable speed.  

..this is a false staetment...it is possible to run 60 mph indicated on an A50..been there, done it...

..no, it isnt easy to achieve, but perserverance pays off...   ;D

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »
There are plenty of videos on you tube showing how to change the oil on gy6 engines try this one

i use castrol 10w40 4t fully synthetic racing oil although semi synthetic is fine basicly its just use the best you can afford. Dont forget to change the transmision oil also, this is another easy job and only needs doing every 5000km again plenty of vids on you tube for reference hope this helps...
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »
I saw kisbee's signature... IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)       Get to breakin'
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »
There are many other things you can do to get another 5-10 mph if you want to put in the time and have the patience but fine tuning is a long slow process, sometimes you go back before you go forwards. No 2 scoots are exactly the same so what works for one may not be perfect for others. Still 45mph on flats is possible as is getting over 50 downhill, there is video proof to show it done.

For me tuning is fun, not frustrating, but i admit at times you wish you never started. Once yoy get a few mph extra tho it makes up for it. Its all down to what you want from it and how you plan to use the scoot. For me its just a big boys toy to play about on and get to work, if you have no time or need or are not mechanically experienced i would stick with just the boss, 82 jet and cdi. Realstically after that you should get 42mph at least.

Thanks all.  Since this is our first scooter we are going to take it slow.  The plan is to change the oil and spark plug, wash and wax the exterior, learn to ride at below 30mph for a few months, notch the cdi at the beginning of summer and replace the drive boss near the end of summer.  I don't plan on changing the carb jets since he does not need a top speed of over 40mph.

The first thing he asked for after riding was better mirrors.  Any suggestions?

Also I would like to get him a windshield to keep spray from other vehicles out of his face.

What soap do you use to get greasy road grime off of your scoot?  Simple Green?  Ivory dish soap? 

Thanks.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »
Good safe thinking there Dad ..............(..DONT FIX WHATS NOT BROKEN) 

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »
I gotdecent quaity mirrorsfromebay which are much better than the smalstock ones,sure it was an 8mm thread,most are a standard size and wijust screw in.

The cdi cut will only give 1-3mph increase, the boss around another 9-12mph,taking it to around 42-43mph if algoes well.The jet change wont give you any more speed but will stop you running lean and possiblly damaging the engine after you do the smooth boss and get upto riding at WOT (42mph). Some are fine on the 80 jet but most usually go up to 82,i did anyway.

Good idea to keep it restricted till he gets used to it. I kept mine like that at 1st but i ony lasted maybe 3-4 wks before i felt it was too slow. Once hes experienced enough he prob wil want the litte bit extra top speed.

You can get visors on ebay too that fit,both tall and shorter length ones,or bike and scooter shops or onine scoot shops wil do them.
Heres my ebay mirrors,cost me about £9.50 delivered to the UK,i think. My home made visor is in the pics too  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=5166.0
Chaos is my co-pilot.

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »
Thank you for the oil change video.  Is there a video that shows how to get at the spark plug?

I like those larger wing mirrors, but the Chinese seller will not ship to the United States.  Does anyone know of a reputable seller here in the States or who will ship here?  Looking for larger wing mirrors, a drive boss and a small clear plastic wind screen.

He did some practice today up and down our suburban residential street.  He leaned too much to the left while doing a u-turn and fell over.  Bike and kid were undamaged.  The engine stopped when he tipped over, is that a safety feature or did the carb just get flooded?   

That prompted his next request, a "cool" looking black and white leather riding jacket with reenforced elbows.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 02:32:18 AM »
Just flooded! Look at ebay for mirrors. There are hundreds to choose. Many US sellers can get them to u in a week. Your posts are 8mm threads/standard rotation. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=scooter+mirrors&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Don't bother buying "pricey" ones as they get broken more than any other part.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
Dont want to sound like i work for them or something but i got 2 bike jackets off ebay too. Both 2nd hand but in good condition, i didnt want a shiney new one anyhow.  Got both for a reasonable price and saved a load on them compared to buying new.

Look for an armoured jacket, elbow, shoulder and back armour if poss. I rarely ride without my jacket now, having slid down the road a few times i know its better to wear leather than not. He will need gloves too if you dont already have them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:33:19 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()