Author Topic: Scooter problems  (Read 5830 times)

browney14

• View Profile
Scooter problems
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »
Hi, i hope you can help me with my scooter.
I have an agility rs 50 which I have had for 7 months or so.  Since i got it, it has had a new top end put in because of lack of oil and seizing.
Recently though I was driving to college and about 2 minutes from my house I pulled over to let a car past and it dident idle. It does this frequently and usually just restarts fine so i tried that and it dident restart. I tried several times to get it going, failed, and so pushed it home. I checked the oil and it was low but not too low to cause problems as far as I know. I had a friend come round and we looked over it and did a few things: Check crank sensor, Check fuel lines, and cleaned the carburetor + jets   and a few other things I cant remember of the top of my head.  We then thought it could be the piston so we stripped the bike down and replaced the piston which had become really sooty. After doing this and putting it back together the bike still wouldent start. I left it overnight and the next morning I managed to get it running albeit poorly and with lots of kicks. It makes a very bad rattling noise and kind of sounds a bit like a 2t. It also will not idle for more than 5/6 seconds, And will only stay running if I jiggle the accelerator a bit from 1/4 to 1/2 open.  I then read that the difficulty of starting and not idling could be valve clearances so I fixed that to 0.004". This did little to help.  My friend seems to think the rattling noise could be the exhaust gasket or something similar.   Can you please help me fix this as I very much need the bike up and running soon. Thanks

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter problems
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
valve clearances so I fixed that to 0.004

...valve clearance is .04mm....not 4 thousandths...so fix that back..

..your idle and starting issue may be nothing more than incorrect idle mixture..

..a good starting point is 2.5 turns counter-clockwise from fully closed on your idle mix screw..

peace

..btw, welcome to th forum!..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

browney14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Thx for reply.  I meant 0.004 inches.   I have reajusted the mixture screw to what you suggested and it is alot easier to start and idles perfectly, the only problem I have is that it is still making the rattling noise, well.. its kind of a rattling noise, the bike is alot louder.  I could say it sounds like its chugging? hard to describe.  Im not sure wether i properly seated the exhaust over the hole in the bottom of the engine, would even leaving a bit of a gap cause these noises?  Oh and if i leavie it running for mpre that 2 or 3 mins the exhaust hole at the bottom where it meats the exhaust starts smoking as it become very hot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:33 PM »
if there is an exhaust leak at the flange it will cause overheating /burnt valves and poor performance due to a lower vacuum at the carb. The smoking may be the plastic from the shroud getting heated from a leak. You need to find a suitable exhaust gasket. Hardware, and small engine shops will have one you can use vs. the OEM gasket. About 2 bucks. Bring the pipe w/ you to match one up
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

browney14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
I noticed during my valve adjustment that the bottom one (that i assume is the exhaust valve) has lots of black deposits on it, might be oil or carbon not too sure. caould this valve be burned out or would a burned valve not allow the bike to start?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:17:27 AM »
If you can see deposits on the stem it is possible the seat, and seal are bad. Take a compression test on the scoot. It should read over 120psi
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
Thx for reply.  I meant 0.004 inches

.004 inches is equal to .1016 millimeters, and is WAY TOO BIG of a valve clearance gap...

..with that gap, your valves are barely opening at all!!!

..   .04mm is equal to .001574 inches.....

browney14

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »
I managed to get the ped running by following all your advice and I took it for a 10 minute drive were it went smoother than it ever has before but when I got it home I turned it off for a few minutes and now it wont start again :/  really driving me mad now.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:35:57 PM »
You didn't leave the kill switch on did you ? Good luck .

browney14

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
Nahh it dosent have a kill switch

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
I managed to get the ped running by following all your advice and I took it for a 10 minute drive were it went smoother than it ever has before but when I got it home I turned it off for a few minutes and now it wont start again :/  really driving me mad now.

starter relay switch might be going bad.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
..or that the top end has heated up and now ur valves aint opening at all...

....im just sayin....   .04mm and .004in is a big difference...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
Nahh it dosent have a kill switch

Im sorry I have to go there.......lol                  OK off and on switch.

browney14

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
Haha yer its turned on fully ;P

browney14

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »
Ive gone back over it and double checked the valve clearances, all fuel lines, compression and spark. none of these are problem, it is just really bugging me that it run like 3 hours ago fine but now its as dead as it was 2 days ago and I see absaloutly no signs of life no matter how many times I kick it. :/

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()