Author Topic: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...  (Read 23989 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
"What are your racing records - for example in Formula1?"
Actually YES. Not an F1 car but an F1 engine. I am Mercruiser certified. One of their older engines (1986) is known as the 170hp 3.7 litre. This is 1/2 of the aluminum blocked Cosworth race engine designed for F1. Adding fuel injection, a dry exhaust (headers) ported heads, and modified pistons the engine DYNO'ED at 325hp at the crank. The engine/boat won the  "Around the Island" race (flown by Peter Presti) 2 years in a row. This engine was Nitro Methane fueled. (which is the fuel I believe you referred to as a drag race fuel but you called it ethanol) Nitro Methane is Methanol/castor oil (for stabillity) and Nitros oxide. It is much more dangerous than Eth. The Around the Island race is referring to Long Island, New York.
Why don't you google it. My name is attached.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2012, 10:40:13 PM »
when they achieve sufficient economic strength, they will want their piece of political strength too. USA is not any more leading power in the world. If you need a proof for that, ask the generation of your parents how they lived and compare that with how you live. Purchasing power of grown ups in USA today is half what it used to be in 70s.
This is a conversation that I really don't like to enter.  But when something is said about my country that is so far off base, I must.   You said something about us not living as well as our parents.  Sorry Axy, but you don't know what you are talking about.  As a 73 year old man, I have lived during the time most of the parents you're talking about lived in.  My parents worked and lived in the early 1900's and lived well for the time.  Dad had a car, a TV when they came out, etc, etc.  My family was certainly not rich but they/we were comfortable.  Today there is much more available, just about everyone can get whatever they want.  Most homes have multiple TV’s and car for every driver.  My kids, all four of them have more than I had, the oldest of my grandchildren are also doing very well with more available then I had available and the ability to get it.  I’m sorry Axy, I don’t know what you are reading or hearing, but it is all wrong.  Everything here is better today.  Come on over and check us out.  I’ve been to some of the Western European countries, they don’t compare to what we have and I understand that Eastern Europe has less than the west where I have been.  If you don’t know it, don’t teach it.  Now I am already sorry I got into this conversation.  But you have my first hand opinion.  Stay with scoots, Sea Foam, and gasoline you seem to be well informed in that area.

Richard L.

Richard, don't be offended by facts. I do not think that people in USA are homeless and poor.
I just said that purchasing power of the nation is sinking rapidly. Dollar is worth close to nothing.

Comparisons between countries are very difficult to make, even futile sometimes.
For example, I tried once on this forum to explain to one member who is reading this also, that we have free health care for everybody.
Full coverage, top notch.
He could not even comprehend that something like that is possible.

In USA with 1 dollar you can't do anything, in some other countries, you can live for a day quite comfortably.
In USA you can have "many stuffs", but 50 million people have no health insurance.
In Cuba, you cannot drive a Ferrari, but you have free food and health care for everybody, the best hospitals in the world and very good quality of life.
In my country, I have bigger income than average American, but that does not mean that everybody has it.
Etc, etc.

And as 73 yr old person you should also understand that you, your child and grandchild are not a representative statistic sample.
Representative statistic sample is strictly defined by the science of statistics.

Obsession with "having stuff" is one of the reasons why your children will be owned by the Chinese. In fact,they already are - do you know who owns 30 % of US foreign debt? Do you even comprehend how much money is 14 trillion dollars? These 14 trillion of dollars printed out of thin are are what US has spent but did not have, in order to finance pointless "buying stuff".

The main export product of post WW II USA is - CRISIS. Crisis is exported to other countries, packaged as war, economic crisis or conflict. It has been like that for decades now. USSR, Vietnam, Korea, Iraq twice, Libya, Syria, Serbia, Kosovo, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Egypt, not to mention backing up South and Central American dictators, you name it, it has been done. USA has been playing a world cop for decades. Saddam was a friend once, then he was set up with not existing weapons of mass destruction. Gadaffi was a friend once, then enemy, then friend again, and then villain to-be-asassinated. Talibans were friends once, enemies now. Osama was a friend of Bush family from Saudi Arabia, and then he became enemy nr. 1. The story goes on and on.

The main source of revenue is military-industrial complex. Without it, USA cannot survive anymore. Deindustrialization is at its peak - what can USA produce today better and cheaper than Chinese? Find out whose goods are sold in Walmart. General idea 40-50 years ago was: we will export dirty industry to the East and they will work for us as poorly paid slaves, we will do services each to other and blow up balance sheets of financial sector. What has been happening in the past 5 years proves how good this paradigm was.

Unfortunately, most European countries except Germany and France took the same route and now they are equally bankrupt as USA, both morally and financially.
My country is also obsessed with "having things", usually, "things people do not need in order to impress people they do not care about." That kind of stuff.
That's why our foreign debt is skyrocketing and we are owned by those who loaned us money. In our case, German and Italian banks.
In your case, China, Japan, UK, Brazil, OPEC countries.

Currently, purchasing power is at its lowest point SINCE 1955. IN USA.

Nobody ever said truth was easy.

Also, I can very well separate American people from American establishment and elite and I firmly believe that democracy is in fact idiot-cracy, because the average and idiots choose among them who will rule over them, but human race on the whole still did not invent better system than capitalism and democracy, so we have to cope with them for the time being...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:48:27 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »
"The main source of revenue is military-industrial complex. Without it, USA cannot survive anymore. Deindustrialization is at its peak"
Regular bar room conversation here!
If you guys would stop pissing on each other for a moment... Tomorrows new topic will be on cleaning your plastic's with Manatee oil, and how easy it is to obtain from China.  (I have a friend there toooo)    His name is Fok Que Boat...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2012, 11:16:10 PM »
Yup! Like shooting monkeys in a barrel.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »
Axy, like I said, "Stay with scoots, Sea Foam, and gasoline you seem to be well informed in that area."  Snf, byw everyone has access to med care.  No person can be turned away.  Also, the dollar floats internationally, at home it does not float.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »
Z-man,

Couldn't resist after your last post:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=58221

Anyway, finding the ethanol debate quite entertaining.  I thought you were down for the count after Axy's series of "jabs and uppercuts" in the seventh round, but you lifted yourself from the mat and came up swinging!  After 10 rounds I have it dead even.  Cheers to both of you in this heavyweight bout! 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:56 AM »
As the Judge was passing sentence he could not help but ask of the poacher... "What exactly does camp fire roasted Bald Eagle taste like?"
The poacher replied... "A little like Whooping Crane, in my opinion."

"Still the fact remains E. is a KNOWN corrosive agent"
"Yepp - and water too."                                                         Looks suspiciously like an admission of the stated fact, in my opinion.

One down, and one to go...              Thx. Calo!               Insert steel wool, adjust Jock strap, blow snot from nose...      DING!     

PSSSSSTT! Axy... Stop, drop, and roll Bro!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/biofuels/e15-gasoline-damage-engine

Here Axy. This link has pictures in it. Easier to follow IMHO. The auto makers are complaining about Eth. blend fuels! 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:56 AM »
Other Alcohol Issues

Alcohol is corrosive and can degrade plastic, rubber or even metal parts in the fuel system that weren't engineered to use alcohol-bearing fuel. Consequently, that antique Evinrude outboard or '60s lawn tractor you bought at the swap meet might need some upgrading to stay together on today's gas. That means corrosion-resistant tanks, alcohol-tolerant rubber lines, seals and fuel-pump diaphragms, and plastic fuel-system parts that won't swell up in the presence of alcohol. Vintage boats with internal fiberglass tanks often have issues with the coating inside the tank failing, sometimes requiring massive structural modifications. Highly tuned two-stroke engines will run leaner (and consequently hotter) on the lower Btu/gallon alcohol mix, potentially leading to melted pistons and scuffed cylinder walls. Alcohol will also scour varnish and deposits out of the fuel system that have remained in place for years, which will eventually wind up in the filter or main jet, choking off the engine's fuel supply. Worse yet, the alcohol itself oxidizes in the tank and produces a tenacious brown glop that's far more damaging to fuel systems than the varnish we're used to seeing in pure petroleum fuels. In warmer weather, you can see varnish starting to form within a month of dispensing fresh fuel into a vehicle tank or storage can.

Advice     Give Up!   Just stay down man. My hands hurt...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 04:18:34 AM »
The prior post is a quote from the article linked in the post before that... Still w/ me?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2012, 04:31:04 AM »
Her legs hurt
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 04:36:03 AM »
I sure would not drink a beer at that party. Like to see her open one tho.    I guess that's an Eth. post Peters

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2012, 04:38:31 AM »
Check out the guy on the far right... Slinger? That you Bro?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2012, 04:48:43 AM »
Thought it might help break the tension. And I'll take any chance I get to post that pic. I don't care who you are that's funny right there. Don't worry I have more.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/biofuels/e15-gasoline-damage-engine

Here Axy. This link has pictures in it. Easier to follow IMHO. The auto makers are complaining about Eth. blend fuels!  

If you had the ability to understand written context, you would realize that problems are actually caused by water, not ethanol.

Btw. if you disagree with ethanol in fuels, write to your representative in the Congress. What are you waiting for?

Here, in Eastern Europe, we do not have this kind of issue.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:44:13 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()