Author Topic: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...  (Read 23993 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:41 PM »
 If I need advice on repairing an engine due to ethanol damage I'll ask the scientist that formulated the fuel. Im sure he to will tell me there is no trouble at all as he did not design it to cause problems. Enough of this... Did you even read the links I posted?  FACT: You are sucking wind cause you don't like my style. Too bad. I LUV you Bro!  Ps The world is now round due to Columbus. Before that it was a flat plane floating in a giant bowl of ethanol. Are you coming over for dinner tonight? I'm making Hagas, and spirits... aka Ethanol. Love you Axy!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada @ http://pure-gas.org/ .
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:35:56 PM by juice »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »
There may be fuel systems which are not compatible, esp. if the vehicle isn't used for months and years without any maintenance and precautions.

But for example BMW motorcycle claims, that every of their motorcycles is E10 compatible (with correct octane rating), no matter how old. Do you work on their motorcycles and know they are wrong?

Well yes I do work on them. They have taken steps to prevent ethanol damage. Same goes for Yamaha/Mercury Marine/General motors, and many others. Kymco has NOT prepared. Take any rubber fuel system component (from your scoot), and soak it for 48hrs in a container of fuel. It will swell. This is caused by the eth. attacking the bond between natural rubber, and Nitrile (fuel proof component added to stabilize rubber). Remove the part, and after another 48hrs the swelling will subside as the eth. evaporates. Prove it to your self, not me.
 Enough of this as I have to go let some excess freon loose. It makes Florida warmer in the winter
Maybe a video will help! (you know pictures)
Ethanol fuel problems in small engines

So far I have posted 6 links to Eth problems.  Got any more charts?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
It has been enough of futile attempts of free education from my side.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
Did you check the Links? Any opinion on them? Now I'm curious!

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
Ill second that .

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
On further researching this issue I came across a paper written by The U.S. DOT/Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the Council for Fossil Fuel Research. To paraphrase they concluded that "Ethanol is NOT corrosive to either aluminum or Fuel proof rubber compounds. The reported problems are due to Witches." (sinister forces). I hope my "hype" or mis information has not caused any irrevocable harm, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience! Glad thats over. NOW how do you all feel about Ritalin?

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:25 PM »
Mass ritalin for everybody !

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
This was an interesting discussion.  The differences in opinions have been stated and hopefully there is no remaining anger.  In my area the pumps all say 10% ethanol.  So, as one who is not a mechanic or a chemist the question that interests me is, does Sea Foam prevent the problem? 

Thank You,
Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
My scientist buddies always told me, "The plural of anecdote is not data." I tend to go with can be proven, then replicated.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
Seafoam does , among other things , counteract the effects of ethanol . Im sure the "flat-earthers" will say balderdash to that also . Good luck .

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 11:07:26 PM »
YES. As does StarTron.  And they both come in flavors even children love... No worries about residual anger. I love my Bro's here. F' the Hooidie tooidies tho... I'm not much for hand warmers as a "mod".    Sorry Axy!
http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
http://www.seafoamsales.com/

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »
Well, since everything posted on the internet is equally valid...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »
Ok Jpres. I got thru about 1/3rd of the cube link. What the F' is wrong w/ you Bro? I mean this is all good! I find myself saying this more, and more... I just DON'T Get it.     Go on ... Open door.    Who's your buddy~gucci gucci gucci!

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Well yes I do work on them.
My brother too, already for some decades (BMW engineer).
Surely you have the customer complaints at your hand, which where lost during transmission to Germany. Could you please give some exact and serious details?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()