Author Topic: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...  (Read 24010 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Yes!
Ethanol is a well known race fuel. High octane, good inner cooling.
Especially E10 fuel was used by Audi Union and Mercedes Benz in their famous "Silberpfeil": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Arrows

And there is another game which the "US highest technology" sleeps away: Biofuel was successfully introduced 2011 by Lufthansa with an Airbus A321 in commercial aero line operation. Not the E10 fuel for cars with otto engines but a 50% bio kerosene: http://www.aviationbrief.com/?p=2615

This kind of "European PERFORMANCE voodoo" is enough for my mediocre scooter purposes.
What does ANY of that have to do w/ the topic! E. is corrosive.
Here is another TEST to try yourself. pour any synthetic 2t oil into a glass container. Add 10% E. by voulme. Since I KNOW you won't try it any more than read... the result is congealed USELESS 2t oil. The oil will form a sludge that attaches to the container, and will not move. I just got off the phone w/ an old school YAMAHA FACTORY RACE TEAM MECHANIC that has toured the globe. YAMAHA used c12 104 octane as a buffer to counteract the effect of 10% E. fuel found through out the world. The C12 race fuel was added at a ratio of 4:1 to keep a lower octane rating to allow for the fastest "burn rate" possiable. Ts... I appreciate your passion on this but you are still missing the point. APPLICATION! CORROSION! DESTRUCTION! I run my mower on E10 also. Just NOT my scoot. SPI scooter parts, the new Malossi u.s. importer.  by the way if you can build a 17=hp scoot, build it, and run it on unicorn piss if you like. I'll be here to point out what caused your failure. XOXOXO     " mediocre" not hardly

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »
Agdnrkleoocvnnmkrleofijbdoo9t= Loss of ebrytopoijvbianism. How do you exlpian fkjsiuiohbd;lr8uygkldoj? And even if you could it will xbahleuhgtuifhvsdkujjsify in the end. There is always the fact that if you add bskjadkgjoietkjykl to this you get SCREWED!

I just liked Axy's big words, and thought I would show I know some too
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
I forgot Axy is a cunning-linguist! Probably will disagree w/ my last post too

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »
The rest of you need something else to do.... May I suggest something?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »
Uh ooh. Now we're talking politics. Shut down the thread! hahha

Just because you're 30 or 40 year old tractor still "runs great" doesn't mean that there no deterioration. I have a 36 year old Wheelhorse C-101 lawn tractor that just won't die. I would never claim we haven't replaced any lines, seals, and gaskets, cause we certainly have. And to be honest I don't see what one has to do with the other when talking Ethanol.

I haven't seen anybody bring up one major variable. WEATHER! Wind, rain, salt, heat, cold, even oxygen causes rubber deterioration over time. Not saying that Ethanol isn't a contributing cause too, I'm no scientist, but we all come from places with different climates, countries(policies), and manufacturers(vehicles, rubbers, and petroleum) so your 30 or 40 year old tractor has nothing to do with this debate. Another thing, just let any vehicle(old or new) sit for 10 years with no gas at all and tell me what your fuel hoses look like, or even better, try to put 45psi of fuel through it. Hahha, made me think of taking a shotgun to a garden hose for irrigation drip.

Anyways, any qualified mechanic will tell you, after 30 years it's time to at least replace fuel and vacuum lines. Now there is no doubt in my mind rubber compounds are much more durable today. Doesn't mean that manufacturers today use them. I think they(especially Asian manufacturers) use the cheapest thing they can get. As long as it lasts the 2 year warranty. That's all they care about.

Now, in my humble opinion(please don't bite my head off I'm allowed to my opinion), I believe Ethanol is bad for our traditional gasoline engines. Just because people say it's one way doesn't mean it is. Just look at asbestos, lead in paint and fuel, and not to mention all these prescription drugs that are tested and years later prove to be extremely harmful.
One of my favorite sayings:
      Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you read
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 04:03:28 AM »
Amen

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 04:13:03 AM »
Rally the troops!!! It's time to burn the Witches~~~~~~~~~~~

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:48 AM »
I would not, btw., endorse growing food for fuel either as it causes famine in the long run.

Now THAT was a dam good statement!!!
I give you that one Axy...
You are right but of course if OUR gov wasnt so dam retarted, greedy, politically correct then we could have ALL THE OIL,ETC. WE WANTED in as little as 90 days W/O all the "red tape" that goes along with it. You guys "across the pond" just have never experianced our kind of life. Your gov is probably watching you type your post.. :D (of course OUR gov isn't far behind anymore which is VERY UNFORTUNATE for us)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 04:44:23 AM »
Rally the troops!!! It's time to burn the Witches~~~~~~~~~~~

It's going to be a hot time tonight!!  ;)  :D
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 05:14:01 AM »
I think everybody agrees; Dependence on just one fuel supply is asking for trouble.

You know, I think a lot of people outside of the US have a prejudice against Americans. We(most of us anyway) put our pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. We have so little control over what our government does and I hate it. I wish we(the majority) were more involved. Of course there are a lot of idiots out there too. I wouldn't be against having to take a test to see if you actually know the issues before you can vote. Most people jump on a political band wagon because it's popular but don't actually know what they are fighting for.

LOL. I knew this was going political. Damn it! I came on here to ask a question about my belt. I love a good debate though.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »
Easy one! WATER+Magnetic Field=Free Power!      Pulsate an electro magnet at given frequencies in a sealed hydraulic container, and you get motion. Hydrogen fuel cells power the magnet. NO moving parts... Easy one! I'll say it again...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 07:14:53 AM »
Yes!

Adam Sandler can always break the tension. Except for Funny People, that one was kinda dark.

I love hydrogen as a fuel source although I've never heard of using electro magnets to propel water. I've heard the problem with hydrogen is it takes more energy to capture and compress it than it produces. I'd love to hear more about this Water Magnet.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
Add 10% E. by voulme. Since I KNOW you won't try it any more than read... the result is congealed USELESS 2t oil. The oil will form a sludge that attaches to the container, and will not move.

What has this got to do with ANYTHING?
What happens if you mix ethanol free fuel and engine oil? You get highly nutritious whipped cream? Or sludge too?
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

I haven't seen anybody bring up one major variable. WEATHER! Wind, rain, salt, heat, cold, even oxygen causes rubber deterioration over time.

Sorry, but I did, at least twice. It was dismissed and every rubber compound damage was instantly attributed to 10 % of Mean Ethanol Devil.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »
I forgot Axy is a cunning-linguist! Probably will disagree w/ my last post too

You forget many things, clear and objective facts most often among them.

As for being "cunning linguist", my English is seriously lacking because it is the third language out of four I use, and I have never claimed it was one of my strong points.
However, I guess my linguistic prowess is sufficient enough to bring the message across the communication channel.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()