Author Topic: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...  (Read 23970 times)

ts1

• View Profile
Re: This is what Ethanol does to rubber...
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »
You like videos, zombie!?
I've got one from our friends behind the iron curtain:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »
That is a very interesting video. Let's assume it is TRUE, and CORRECT. (Most likely is)
The difference between gasolines is something I have been posting for the reasons we SEE here. Better gas burns cleaner.
The one I do NOT understand is Bio Eth.  Eth. is distilled from almost anything, and is always the same regardless of the Source material. Perhaps the Bio eth is Bio diesel, and Eth?
The main focus is how clean it burns. That has not been debated on this thread. The focus is on the damaging or corrosive nature of Eth.
I FIRMLY believe Eth. is a MUCH better fuel source but parts of the world are not prepared to use it as a regular fuel base. I believe resin based fuel system components will replace the metal/rubber compounds we use today, and in that case Eth will reign supreme. Till then most of us are having to deal with force feeding, and costly repairs.
Thanks for posting the vid tho... It helps to "clear the air"
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »
Perhaps the Bio eth is Bio diesel, and Eth?
Impossible. Fuel for otto engine and diesel engines don't mix well. The first need a high octane rating, the second a high cetane rating.
Ethanol is pure C2H5OH, Biodiesel some C16-18 (much longer molecule).
Beeing a simple and well defined molecule, Ethanol isn't difficult to burn clean.
BTW: first synthesis of Ethanol by Abu Bakr Mohammed Ibn Zakaria al-Razi ~900 a.d.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »
So what are THEY calling "bio diesel"?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2012, 07:08:55 AM »
I meant "Bio Ethanol".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel
I found it anyway. I don't understand one thing. Wait yeah I do... Bio eth. is a way to label Eth that has more impurities. Same as Regular gas vs Premium. It's amazing what a tangled web we live in.
Then they tell us the earth is round on top of it all... When do the lies stop...
Wasn't it some of your pals that stated regular gas is every bit as "pure" as premium, and anything else is a waste of time/money?
I forgot to cut paste your vid...
Test burning of gasolines, ethanol and E40 (Тест бензинов, этанола и Е40)
This is what cheap (ie: regular) gas does inside your engine. The link just fell in my lap

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »

This is the topic. Not how clean it burns. Nobody argued Ethanol doesn't burn clean.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Now THAT is an oversimplified and misleading demonstration of fuel cleanliness video.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »
Now THAT is an oversimplified and misleading demonstration of fuel cleanliness video.
Oversimplified perhaps... Even I understood the point.
Misleading in what sense? Even different grades of Paraffin have varying amounts of "leftovers" not removed during processing (and will show similar results). I am tempted to try it at home to show my customers that insist on using cheaper "pump" gas in their trailer boats.
Engines are easier to maintain if you use the best products you can obtain.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2012, 02:13:54 AM »
....i GOTTA stop reading this thread.........

:-*
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »
I thought it died of natural causes. Seems to have Zombified...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2012, 05:29:29 AM »
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."   cool...

I did consider, and figure this is the best place for this post. One of you were talking about cvk carbs, and I suggested checking the diaphragm. I said I have spares because they swell from Ethanol but they do gas out in a few days, and return to normal. Usually I get about a month before I feel a few mph missing, and slower throttle response. This goes for ALL cvk carbs that do NOT have an appended part # denoting Ethanol proof.
These are the same slide except the currently swollen one just came out. I'll take a pict of it again in a day or so to show you how it looks new once the Eth evaporates. Cool...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2012, 05:31:05 AM »
Oh yeah... The one beside it has been thru this several times. They both have.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2012, 05:49:57 AM »
These are the same slide except the currently swollen one just came out.
The right one could be from my 2002 Doodo - because it's running with 35% ethanol, far beyond its specification.

Too, I have some power loss, mostly because I refused to adjust jet sizes and the engine is running lean. But fuel consumption stays unchanged!

Our current fuel prices: E85: 1.059€/litre, E10 1.729, E5 1.769, premium 1.809
Since April 2011 I've saved some bucks adding 1/3 E85 to 2/3 E10.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2012, 06:07:41 AM »
Ahhhh! You've been waiting my friend... Quickly now. "The games afoot!"

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
I boat and I boat a lot. That said I never had a problem, thanks to Yamaha being proactive and forcing me to purchase and install a 2nd water/fuel seperator that filtes things down to 10 microns.

Drop by any marina or just go onto any boating forum (thehulltruth.com) and look around at what this crap has done to the marine industry alone.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()