Author Topic: Make sure you see this. Ethanol, and cold weather  (Read 4277 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Make sure you see this. Ethanol, and cold weather
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »

This will address most of the winter fuel problems we all have. Except for two people that are immune.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Make sure you see this. Ethanol, and cold weather
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:21:12 PM »
Except for two people that are immune having no issues.

:)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »
Germany expects another night with temperatures down to -20°C in the Alp villages. Last week we had down to -29°C in the lowlands, -31°C in the Alp villages and -38°C in the mountains itself.
We have all kind of Ethanol fuel, even many E85 petrol stations since 2005.

But Sweden is even much more fond of Ethanol and started much earlier with it.
You know where Sweden is?
It reaches up to N69°, Fairbanks/Alaska is "only" N65°. -40°C is cold for scandinavian villages, but not a sensation.

Maybe Florida is much colder than Sweden. Then of course your coasts are full of ice - like the German (and naturally Sweden) coasts now.
But I think, that a fuel which works well in Sweden, will work in the comparative warm Germany too.
It did work during the wars (Germany has no oil-wells) and I don't see any reason why it suddenly shouldn't work.

Sorry, I'm only a layperson from a 3rd world country. Our fellow countrymen don't know about engines, they only invent them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:52:17 PM by ts1 »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
What is wrong w/ you third world people. I NEVER said ethanol in itself was "evil". I NEVER said eth. is bad for engines. I have said Eth. corrodes components that WILL cause engine damage. One fragment of gasket or fuel line enters the injectors or Carb, and it reduces the flow of fuel. The air flow stays the same. LEAN=HEAT=BUSTED UP SH*T. Do what you will with your NEW engines designed w/ ethanol fuel in mind. Your voodoo (all third world countries practice VOODOO right?) will protect your older engine anyway. This topic only applies to the rest of us that don't have talismans to protect us from the EVIL ETHANOL. (there NOW I said it. So if you quote me please use it in context.)
Brazil is actually the worlds largest producer/consumer of ethanol fuels due to NO fossil fuel reserves of their own. They have taken the necessary steps to insure it is compatible for its intended use. The US on the other hand is new to this type of fuel, and is woefully unprepared. Like it or not/ believe it or not. I DON"T CARE. I'm just passing a Sunday by helping other people avoid expensive repairs that are not needed if they are informed as to the cause. The post that started all this is about a fuel proof rubber coupler that was eaten from the inside out. The owner of said coupler was facing a total bill of approx. $587.00. I GAVE him a new coupler. Do you want the old one? Install it on your favorite goat or Emu or whatever, and ride off into the sunset pilgrim!  I wonder if Al Gore took this kind'a sh*t... Oh wait Yeah he did... Man it's hot in here... Damn witches!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
The post is intended to show how ethanol fuel/ water separate at cold temps. Water will sink to the bottom. Where is the fuel pick up on a scoot. Where are the Carb jets located.  Correct on the bottom. Another fact. Eth. attracts/absorbs water. This water is then introduced into the cylinder where it is converted to steam. This alone raises the compression of the engine beyond what it was intended to be. Gasoline repels water, and does not have this issue. Try reading some more vs writing so much. This link may help...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:39:47 AM »
Actually, that's a pretty poor test. How do we know the cloudy look on the test tube wasn't condensation on the outside of the glass from the colder water?

Poor experiment, and poor proof.

-Wolf

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 03:06:46 AM »
Couldn't you tell by the high dollar lab he was reporting from? I KNOW that link is suspicious at BEST but I have seen this result first hand. Try it your self. Get a tube of 10% e fuel, add a few drops of water. To verify your result leave it alone till the water separates from the ethanol. You all know what happens to a warm liquid in a cold container right? condensation... It is the same as Cold liquid w/ warm surroundings. Sweat on your beer can. Eth is supposed to solve this in fuel but in changing climates it does not. Still the real issue is the corrosive nature of the beast. Have you EVER seen a rubber stopper in a liqueur bottle? (same alcohol). Ever drink from an aluminum flask? Try it some time.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/remove_water_gas.html
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp9617027
http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/29171/1/IND43839857.pdf
http://www.iboats.com/basics/ethanol_fuels.html
So far I have given 10 or more links, and spent all day on this. I wish some of you would stop worrying about weather or not I am spouting bull cr*p, and look it up for yourselves.     Oh Al. I do indeed feel your pain.
Here's ! f'n more...    http://www.srij.or.jp/newsite/magazines/english_abstract/view_detail.php?absId=1811&keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=550&width=680

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 03:20:52 AM »
A Priest, and a small boy go walking in the woods. The day goes by, and it begins to get dark. The boy looks up and says "Father... I'm getting scared. "The priest says "Why my child?"  The boy states "It is nearly dark, and I miss my mommy."  The priest admits he also is a little frightened, and the boy now asks "Do you miss your mommy too?" The Priest responds "No. However it is getting dark,, and I have to walk out of here alone"

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:24:08 AM »
For those that did not see the other thread on the effects of ethanol on rubber, the rest of the links I provided are there. As well as more amusing anecdotes.

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 04:13:26 AM »
So far I have given 10 or more links, and spent all day on this.

"I can't come to bed. Someone is wrong on the Internet."  :lol:

I promise to let you know when any rubber parts of my now six year-old People 250 (other than the tires, which don't interact much with the E10) needs replaced. Promise.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:24:12 AM »
I know Bro! Me too. Here Sorry bout the Priest joke. Maybe scad will - it. But try this... Go to ANY 10 RANDOM forums. Post a pole on each about these topics, and I firmly believe the result would be 70% or higher in favor for the same reasons I explained. In FACT I will bet my scoot on it. FIR REEL! Everyone see's it!!! Some areas are affected more than others,  and you seem to argue that it is all houey or magic vapors that I am spreading. I stand by what I say. Take the bet. If you loose I know you aint gots no duogh rey me soooo. Find me ANY 2t crapper, and put it up. Since I know you are waiting for this post how's 3 minuits sound. No time to pre sample that way. As I just threw it out and had not researched it. Even if I DID that by itself should PROVE you are just sucking wind in a closet! How 'bout it BRO! 3 Min.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:57 AM »
Yo! Pres. I see you in the closet Bro. Come on . It will be EPIC! Put up or shut up! Come on B*TCH! I see you on line...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:13 AM »
YUP!                                                         Jus wut I thunk!

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »
you seem to argue that it is all houey or magic vapors that I am spreading.

No, I actually think that my scooter was built using special, extraterrestrial materials which seem to be impervious to the evils of E10 fuel. Or maybe it's because it's a rare day mine isn't running on the road. Or maybe both (and yes, the moon landings were faked).  :lol:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 05:10:38 AM »
So how bout it Bro. Put up a scoot?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()