Author Topic: Body Panels.....how do I remove them?  (Read 1559 times)

Choppastyle

• View Profile
Body Panels.....how do I remove them?
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »
I'm trying to remove the rear right body panel.  I've removed all the screws that I can see but it still won't come out.  I even removed the under seat storage tray.  Are there instructions anywhere?

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Body Panels.....how do I remove them?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:24 AM »
Munks that second link we were talking about the accent strips on the sides of floorboard.  I've not had my rear body off so can't give advice there.  I'll look it up in my service manual tho.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »
Ok Choppa, the manual is sort of incomplete on this.  But, it looks like you do have to remove a lot of other stuff before you can get those panels off.  At the very least you're gonna have to take off the accent panels on the sides of the floorboard hump.  That's those weird shaped plastic pieces that look like air scoops.  They're a pain.  Take the two bolts out -- fold passenger footpegs out straight -- then gotta squeeze up and down till you get the tabs coming out.  Once they're off you see a bolt which is holding your rear panels. 

You might even have to take off the floorboard in which case you also have to take off the seat and the lower plastic "skirts".  Lots of screws, bolts, tabs involved but not terribly hard.  There's one tricky tab on the skirts behind the bottom screw.  I have to lay down, look up underneath and pop it loose using a gasket scraper.  A very big screwdriver would work too.

You're doing the right thing by starting NOW so by the time your parts come it you might just have all the plastics off and ready!!!  :D  Just kidding.  Let us know if you run into any snags.   

Choppastyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
Well I was hoping it would be easier.....but it wasn't.  You have to remove about 60 bolts and screws.  Not only did I have to take off both side scoops, I had to take off the side skirts (which means the whole center panel too).  The tail light has to come off along with the grab bars.  It took about 45 min.

So, now that I've got them off and am waiting for parts.......anyone know how to rewire the bike to that I get rid of having to squeeze the right brake to start it?  I did it on my other scooters.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Choppastyle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
It's funny you said that about the kickstand bypass.  I was trying to start it this morning and it wouldn't.......I was about to start freaking out, but it was just the kickstand. ;D

I think i'm going to pass on the bypass for the brakes......I don't want to mess something up. ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()