Author Topic: nothing  (Read 2801 times)

Newb

• View Profile
nothing
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »
nevermind

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:37:42 PM by Newb »

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 Battery, info and options
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »
Call a dealer or Kymco USA (if they will take the time to talk to you that is)? As far as I know there has been no changes to the X500 other than fuel injection in 2009? But I have seen the batteries listed in the books as 2009 & up. No listings for 2008 & down???? Maybe the higher amp on the 2009's & up are do to the fact that a fuel injected bike requires more power for the high pressure fuel pump?  :-*

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
The GTX14-BS is the Delco equivilant to a Yuaso YTX14-BS.  They are 12v 12ah Maintenance Free valve regulated lead acid batteries.

The Yuasa YTX14H is the factory activated 12v 12ah maintenance free battery.  Not  the optimal performer, but you don't have to pour the acid in.

The Yuasa YTX14H-BS is the high performance AGM 12v 12ah battery which comes with tubes of acid you pour in and activate yourself. 

Any of these will work in any XCiting - but I would recommend the YTX14H-BS.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »
Look up the part #'s for the stators on the given scoots. I do see a need for more amperage in the F.I. models to keep the F.I controller working during cranking/hi battery load situations. But if the stators are the same then the batteries will swap.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:58:08 AM »
Replacing a 12ah battery with a 14ah isn't a problem - so long as the physical dimensions and cable mounts are ok.  Usually, a larger ah battery is physically a bit larger.  The 14ah battery will charge the same as the 12ah battery, but will take longer to get to full charge.  It can handle a larger draw from your electrical system (because of a larger cold crank rating), but the larger battery itself isn't going to put an additional load on it.  It will also be able to supply power past the point where the 12ah would be dead because of the larger reserve (ah). 

The downsides are additional cost, additional size and weight.

The stator capacity on the carbureted and FI XCiting 500's are the same.

I thought it odd that Yuasa would name 12ah batteries with 14 in the name instead of 12 - but I saw them listed online as 12ah batteries.  After looking through Yuasa's site - the info on the YTX14's states that they are "Capacity: 12", with "Amps: 1.4".   You would think that the capacity was ah, but that doesn't jive with 1.4 Amps, or with the 14 in the name.  I don't know what the capacity is - because being able to provide 1.4 amps an hour means it is a 14ah battery.  Their listed difference between the regular and high capacity is with the cold cranking amps (200 vs 240).

The lithium Ion's are really nice - but cost about $240.  They last about twice as long as lead acid, weigh 1/3 as much, hold a charge longer, and deliver cold cranking at about 315 amps - but they are affected much more by cold.  At 40f degrees you need to "wake" the battery by running your lights for 30 seconds before cranking the starter.  Add another 3 seconds for each degree below 40.  On a sportbike reducing the weight by 6lbs would help justify the cost - but I don't see them being worth it on a scooter. 

AGM or a Gel would be my choice.  Gel's have less cold cranking amps than AGM's, but are less affected by heat.  Gels also don't work well with large stators - but that isn't a problem with an XCiting (I wouldn't recommend them for a BMW GS though).
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »

Also, I've seen where Spook replaced his rectifier/regulator with the one off the MXU 500. I can't tell why exactly. I know I've looked into it before.

The only thing I can think of is because of the MXU's possible higher draw accessories such as lights. It sounds like an excellent conversion if you wanted to safely run heated grips, seats or jacket on the X500.
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 01:23:51 AM »

Heated grips indeed...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()