Author Topic: Agility horrible up hills after derestriction  (Read 11757 times)

Exe

• View Profile
Agility horrible up hills after derestriction
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:44:54 AM »
After derestricting my 2011 model Agility 50 by replacing my boss drive with a smooth one, my Agility does absolutely horrible up hills.  Before the derestriction I could do 15 to 20 mph uphill, but now I only do 7.  Is there a reason for this, as it is truly very bad.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Agility horrible up hills after derestriction
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »
..are you sure you didnt re-arrange the variator assembly while you were in there?

..i would verify that first..

Welcome to th' Forum!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
you also need to cut the cdi and put in a bigger main jet 82.

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
I'm sure I didn't rearrange the variator assembly and I thought kymco stopped limiting the cdi after 2010

It seems like I don't achieve the same rpm at 30mph as I did before.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:11:30 PM by Exe »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »

Something did not go together correctly. Try it once more to be sure.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »
I'm sure I didn't rearrange the variator assembly and I thought kymco stopped limiting the cdi after 2010

It seems like I don't achieve the same rpm at 30mph as I did before.

Sorry about that you may be right. make sure your belt is faceing the right way there should be arrows on the belt that shows the direction it should be going I have made that misstake my self.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »
Also are you 100% sure you got the right smooth boss? Did you take the clutch side off at any point or take the clutch side apart? Something must be faulty in the cvt area somewhere. Whats your belt condition like too and your rollers? What weight are you using? Is the rest stock?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Just a thought... Since the Var. is now allowed to travel to its limit the gearing would be lower. A stiffer control spring is needed to balance it again.
http://www.partsforscooters.com/Welcome?search=spring
The qmb 139 spring rated at 1000 should get you back up there, and then some. I think the OEM control spring may be weak to start with. Adding travel to the var. made it into a dog. Full gear at low rpm's = dog
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
Did you at least achieve more top end i have a friend who changed just his smooth boss only and he gets 36 - 38 mph not a lot i know but its the difference of being able to keep ahead of traffic in a 30 zone, he never mentioned it was slower up hills but i guess as the belt now travels further up the variator it would be like putting a car in fifth gear to go up a hill it will not have the rpms. where did you get your smooth boss maybe its not the best suited for the kymco and is now allowing the belt to travel far to high up the variator....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »
Did you at least achieve more top end i have a friend who changed just his smooth boss only and he gets 36 - 38 mph not a lot i know but its the difference of being able to keep ahead of traffic in a 30 zone, he never mentioned it was slower up hills but i guess as the belt now travels further up the variator it would be like putting a car in fifth gear to go up a hill it will not have the rpms. where did you get your smooth boss maybe its not the best suited for the kymco and is now allowing the belt to travel far to high up the variator....

I bought this model: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260881239776?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2136wt_1180

I found the smooth boss Kymco supplies with the moped, but that was after I installed that one.

How about this torque spring? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gy6-Scooter-Atv-Quad-Racing-Torque-Spring-3-5mm-1000rpm-/170279133758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item27a56d623e&vxp=mtr#ht_2348wt_1180

Would 5.5g roller weights help too?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:23:45 PM by Exe »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 02:31:11 AM »
I have to say no on the spring, and yes on the rollers. THAT spring is the correct size but is a cheap arse copy of what you need. You'll notice it is Cadmium plated (gold tone) Cadmium will not adhere to "true" spring steel making that a less than desirable part. Heat is the enemy in the cvt. Cheap springs won't last. Look for a better one. They Avg. about $15.00 US.

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 03:03:29 AM »
Will I loose top speed after replacing the spring and rollers?  I do max 40 mph now down hill a bit.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 04:32:46 AM »
Just a thought... Since the Var. is now allowed to travel to its limit the gearing would be lower. A stiffer control spring is needed to balance it again.

...lmao...what he said!......again.....

8)

Exe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:52:01 AM »
I have to say no on the spring, and yes on the rollers. THAT spring is the correct size but is a cheap arse copy of what you need. You'll notice it is Cadmium plated (gold tone) Cadmium will not adhere to "true" spring steel making that a less than desirable part. Heat is the enemy in the cvt. Cheap springs won't last. Look for a better one. They Avg. about $15.00 US.

Would it be worth it to get the rollers too?  I'm having some difficulty finding the correct size and weight.  Also, what is the torque of the default tension spring?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 04:53:51 AM »
..yeah get you som rollers too...4.7-5.5grams and play around wit it a bit...

..the default is @ 850, more or less...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()